Fretsaw Advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikegtr

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Advice needed to buy a sturdy frame fretsaw for precision cutting using fine blades. Any advice on a quality make? Where to buy?

Many thanks.

I'm reading this as hand saw, it may help if you say what you've already tried as a baseline we can compare to. Up until about six months ago I was using a tubular frame 16" I got from Hobbies around 30 years ago. Never had any complaints about its rigidity but the only time I ever have is on those with a cut from sheet frame.

I did however often find it unwieldy in use and blade change was awkward - you needed a wing nut spanner to tighten up the nuts under tension.

When my fretsaw got additional duties (cutting fibreglass circuit board with piercing saw blades) I decided to pick up a piercing saw. I settled on this one from Workshop Heaven although I note the price seems to have rocketed since. That's a nice choice if you don't need the throat of a full fretsaw, very stiff and a lot easier to manage. My only complaint is I'd prefer a slightly fatter handle. They also have some framework/cage types if you want ultimate rigidity but I thought them a bit too spendy for my liking.

Last edited:
Also, when you say precise, are you talking about following a line or the angle/smoothnes/trueness of the sawn face? Just using a fret saw and a crows mouth can get decent results but if you are mating to different materials then you need to consider a lot of other things as well

You could also make one.
IMG_1707.JPG
The good part of making one is you have more control of the blade tension.
Nice little project for a wet afternoon.
Regards
John

I just use a cheap eclipse one with pegas blades in it, there is no need to spend loads of money on one, I always clean up to the knifewall with a chisel anyway and cut above the line not right up to it, then finish off with a razor sharp chisel.

Back