Fresh 400 grit diamond hone vs. Broken In

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D_W

Established Member
Reaction score
I have more pictures - already made my comments in the diamond hone thread, but I figured one thing some folks may find interesting is what the back of the same tool would look like if sharpening with a brand new hone, and then with one that's broken in/worn out (this will happen with all diamond hones other than those that are a sintered layer - and the sintered layer stones are expensive and would go out of flat, so forget about chasing them).

At any rate, here is the spectacular 400 grit new hone with brash grooves cut:
400 grit side.jpg

And then, the exact same stone from the same maker but with quite a bit of use (with these stones, you more or less use the 400 side like a 1000 side later, and the 1000 side becomes sort of a slow hone (this happens with ezelap, too - I have difficulty finding something for my 1200 eze-lap stone to do.

At any rate, here is the same brand but well broken in.

old 400.jpg

And then, for comparison - a worn out DMT 325 grit side from a duohone:
325 worn dmt.jpg

The X pattern in the bottom iron is simply from a trick that you may try with a diamond hone that's slowing down, Change the direction of the grooves by moving the iron orientation so that you're cutting across the channels rather than with them.

Anyone who is wondering why I would have so many worn out stones, I reconditioned probably more than 100 tools and then have made a couple of hundred since then.

You find the limited life span of diamond tools pretty quick that way (PSA roll coarse aluminum oxide is by far the fastest way to flatten something new - not fancy paper with friable grit, but good quality white or gold alumina. fracturing grit is for light pressure and speed).

Back