French moulding planes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyT

Established Member
Reaction score
I just bought some more moulding planes. Some would wonder if I need them, but these are all quite different from the ones I already have - they are French:

IMG_3509.jpg

- which makes them instantly different and interesting.

There are some distinctive design features - look at the bed angle on these two (admittedly reduced a bit by skewing the iron):

IMG_3510.jpg

They were all owned by the same person, and are all the same make - here's the trademark:

IMG_3508.jpg

They are all in a dense wood resembling walnut, and the irons are heavy and look like good steel - presumably the selling point of the brand was the use of Swedish steel (from the "mines de Suede").

The only on-line reference I have found was to someone selling a catalogue on French ebay, which confirms the maker was active in Paris in 1898:

BiritUQB2kKGrHqEH-EUEs7w8DW11BLQPUc.jpg

I can comment on whether they are any good or not when I've removed the top layer of dirt and a bit of rust.

Does anyone know any more about these? Were they a premium brand? Waht is the wood? Are there any French websites or forums like this? Most resources that I know of are UK or American. Over to you!

Smudger":1g07r4lk said:
Do French woodies have owner's stamps?

Yes - they are all stamped KNEIP - just about visible in this one:

IMG_3511.jpg

That's interesting. I've seen a few at vides-greniers, but they are usually wormy and pretty rank.
Of course you can still buy woodies at French DIY sheds, at least in rural areas. Apparently they are favoured by farmers.

Bonsoir,

Those are called GUILLAUME in France, the wood is probably, as allready said Cormier, one of the hardest wood one can find in France and usually used for making planes.
If you can read french, here is a nice forum dealing with old tools:
http://outils-anciens.xooit.fr/index.php
and here a pretty good list of web site and online museum dealing with tools in general.
http://outils-anciens.xooit.fr/t121-LIS ... EMENTS.htm

As for the maker, could'nt find any valuable infos on it, will let you know if I do

vincent

You've been caught by the spam filter, it wears off after you've made a few posts.

The first site is here
and the second site is here

Looks interesting - and welcome to the forum!

Blimey. A quick look at the first site Vincent gave us and I found this:

pa030238ir3.jpg

The whole thread is here

It was made in the last few years by a Canadian called André, now sadly deceased.

It puts me in mind of the sort of presentation piece made to be given to an important craftsman on their retirement, or a guild master or some such. Impressive workmanship.

Smudger":1tk24j4j said:
Copy & paste the text in French and we'll do our best...

Thanks but that could tie up the system :lol: :lol:

Was hoping to loose me sen in there for a few days :shock: :shock:

If there's something in particular will let you know
:wink:

Cheers
Andy

J'ai eu l'occasion d'admirer cette oeurvre d'art... Les parures sont en or et ivoire ; le corps est en bois précieux (je ne rappelle plus lequel, mais je compte sur d'excellents amis, membres de ce forum, pour compléter mon trou de mémoire...)

I have had the chance to admire this work of art... the decoration is in gold and ivory; the body is in precious wood (I don't remember which, but I am counting on my excellent friends, members of this forum, to fill this hole in my memory) (he later identifies it as blood wood)

ça date de quelle époque ?
renaissance ?

It dates from which period? Renaissance?

La surprise, c'est que ce vilebrequin a été réalisé il y a deux ou trois ans, par un artisan (artiste ?) canadien ! J'ai eu le plaisir de le rencontrer et de m'entretenir avec lui avant qu'il ne quitte ce monde... Ce fut un grand plaisir que de visiter son atelier, connaître (une petite partie) de ses méthodes et d'admirer plusieurs de ses réalisations, dont celle-ci...

André, on ne t'oublie pas...

The surprise is that the brace was made in the last two or three years, by a Canadian artisan (artist?)! I had the pleasure of meetting him and have a chat with him before he left this world [I think...] It was a great pleasure to visit his workshop and understand (to a small extent) his methods and to admire many of his creations, amongst them this one.
André, you won't be forgotten.

Roughly. If any French speakers spot any errors, please weigh in.
I'd like to see more of André's work.

The UKW is simply amazing!

First we have some new slope material...then we have a new member who kindly gives us information....then we have Smudger translate it for us!

Amazing...simply amazing!!!

Now I have a WHOLE NEW COUNTRY to tease my slope interest! GREAT!!!

:D :D

BTW that brace is beeeeeutiful!!! I want one!

EDIT....oh dear...oh dear oh dear oh DEAR!!! LUVERLY!!

bouvetszn6.jpg

Right...I am booking the Eurostar for this summer...fleamarche here I come!!!

Jim

Well how about this for a restoration:

Picture9.png

Picture10.png

That's pretty good. Translation follows...original here

Peux-tu stp expliquer à l'ignare que je suis la fonction de cet outil ? Je connaissais la bondonnière mais ce n'est manifestement pas cela !

Please could you explain to the chimp that I am the function of that tool? I understand the awl (bung reamer?) but it obviously isn't that.

C'est un ustensile utilisé par les vignerons pour goûter le vin, en en prélevant une petite quantité directement depuis la barrique.
Il faut au préalable tailler une petite cheville (le "fausset") qui servira ultérieurement à reboucher le trou réalisé à l'aide de l'ustensile en question. On perce donc le bois, on prélève la quantité voulue de vin puis on referme le trou avec le fausset, à l'aide d'un petit maillet ou marteau.

J'ai vu une vieille barrique dont le fond avait été honoré à de multiples occasion, si bien qu'on aurait dit une... toison. (honni soit qui mal y pense !)...

It's a tool used by winemakers to taste the wine, it takes a small quantity straight out of the barrel. First it is necessary to shape a small dowel (the 'fausset) which ultimately serves to seal the hole made with the aid of the tool in question. One thus pierces the wood [!], one takes out the desired quantity of wine then one fills the hole with the fausset, with the help of a little mallet or hammer. [no doubt highly decorated as well].
I have seen an old barrel whose bottom had been honoured on many occasions, so well that one would call it a ... fleece [I don't get thet either]. (dishonour to him who thinks badly)

Bonjour, utilisé aussi par les douaniers, pour vérifier le contenu, et l'absence de caches !!

Hi - also used by customs officers to verify the contents, and the absence of contraband.

Merci à tous deux. Je me coucherai (un peu) moins bête ce soir !
Thank you both. I will go to bed (a little) less stupid this evening!

I am thoroughly enjoying this French site! My old school French is improving by the minute trying to understand it and the eye candy or pour le plaisir des yeux!!.....is beautiful.

Thanks so much for bringing this to my PC!

Jim

Latest posts

Back