French farmhouse table

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmm. To reduce flexing you'd need an angle iron. A flat strip won't help all that much. Try resting the bar across stools at each end and see what weight it'll hold in the middle without bending. Bag of sugar? Doubt it. In fact it will hardly bear its own weight.
If it is firmly glued to the wood it might even induce bending, with changes in air temp!
Much better to stick to tried and tested trad designs IMHO. 2 drawers in the side of a table is not a design problem. Yours will probably be the only steel reinforced french style farmhouse table in existence.

Hi, Jacob

He Says its 25x8mm and he has fitted it on edge so it will be strong.

Angle iron only works because of the width of the web, nothing magical about it.

Pete

Racers":3a197iob said:
Hi, Jacob

He Says its 25x8mm and he has fitted it on edge so it will be strong.

Angle iron only works because of the width of the web, nothing magical about it.

Pete
Oh right I thought it was flat. Still an unusual "solution" to something which isn't a problem IMHO. And a unique table!

Will the bar ends be directly above the legs? If not I would be concerned that if the wood tries to flex it could pop one of the ends out of the timber if the glue eventually fails due to uneven thermal movement.

I wouldn't have any concerns at all about the strength of that rail now that Mark has reinforced it with steel. The rail is now almost like a piece of thick plywood, with one of the plys made of steel, so it will be very strong. A great solution in my view.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Paul Chapman":wmgapy5h said:
Read the thread, Jacob - it's all there. Or maybe you were just being provocative as usual :-k

Paul
Nope. Had a look. I see no problem. I don't see what is gained by this reinforced steel design as compared to the more conventional and much simpler common alternative ways of putting 2 drawers in the side of a table. It's not as though it's a radical alternative design in any way - there are millions of 2 drawer tables!

Jacob":3lf7e3jk said:
I don't see what is gained by this reinforced steel design as compared to the more conventional and much simpler common alternative ways of putting 2 drawers in the side of a table.

You're just an old stick-in-the-mud. You need to broaden your horizons a bit :lol:

Paul

Paul Chapman":mx0c0iw3 said:
Jacob":mx0c0iw3 said:
I don't see what is gained by this reinforced steel design as compared to the more conventional and much simpler common alternative ways of putting 2 drawers in the side of a table.

You're just an old stick-in-the-mud. You need to broaden your horizons a bit :lol:

Paul
I know I know :roll: I just need to get out more.

Jacob":15frtjsm said:
Paul Chapman":15frtjsm said:
Jacob":15frtjsm said:

Paul
I know I know :roll: I just need to get out more.
Difficult with that buggy though, 'specially towing a trailer :lol: - Rob

Are you still off your feet Jacob? If so it must be frustrating in the middle of this glorious summer!

monkeybiter":1c9xakks said:
Are you still off your feet Jacob? If so it must be frustrating in the middle of this glorious summer!
Thanks for asking. rubbish weather though innit. :shock:
Staggering about a bit on two feet at last. Buggy gone back to ebay. Can't ride my bike yet so am getting a turbo trainer thing. Planning to pedal while I'm watching Le Tour. I should be nearly on form by the time we get to the Alps.

Finally finished the cherry table today except for one more coat of stuff on the top
No major snags after that whole reinforcing the rail business which got Jacob a bit upset
The drawers fit quite well and will glide even better once they are wire-woolled and waxed
The finish is 2 coats so far of Osmo PolyXol clear satin - the satin finish was her choice but I quite like it - it has a deep lustre
7574302194_2bf1cf486e.jpg

There is some lovely grain in the cherry
7574287964_4a2cf56d21.jpg

The slots for the buttons were cut with my T11 router with a 1/4 inch slot cutter (half of a 1/2" tongue and grooving set)
7574298110_d5a3ce6295.jpg

The square pegs for the joint have come out fairly well I think. They are a bit of a cheat in that they were put in retrospectively - just drilled a 9mm hole right through, then tapped in the square chisel from a 3/8" morticed by hand, removing the waste every inch or so - then hammered in square pegs slightly tapered then tidied up with a chisel.
7574289970_2478ca6b5c.jpg

The drawers are quite hard to spot from a distance
7574300352_3c19031c17.jpg

and they have 'handles' like this (specified by client)
7574297166_da2bfc991f.jpg

One drawer contains a removable cutlery box
7574294312_d548501b33.jpg

I think, with the benefit of hindsight I would have made the rails thicker but everything was as specified by the client. Hope she likes it!
Thanks for all your help and advice
Best wishes
Mark

Hi, Mark

Looks good and upsets Jacob, what more could you want :wink:

Pete

Looks good. Doesn't upset me. Funny construction though!

gasman":1fln24te said:
The drawers are quite hard to spot from a distance

7574300352_3c19031c17.jpg

and they have 'handles' like this (specified by client)

7574297166_da2bfc991f.jpg

One drawer contains a removable cutlery box

Mark
A very nice piece Mark :wink: By 'slicing and dicing' that apron rail, the grain of the drawer front blends in extremely well with the rest of it...if you didn't see the handle cut outs, you'd have to look twice to see if there was a drawer there at all, which is the effect that the client was after. If another bit of wood was used for the drawer fronts, the different grain pattern would then have made them too conspicuous, so that I think overall, it's a very creditable job and one that I'm sure the client will approve of - Rob

Back