French clogs makers axe

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brill88

Tom Brill general woodworker and woodsman
Reaction score
Recently restored this french clog makers axe from around the late 1800s with a turned handle made from boxwood
6CB76A2A-2FD0-440E-B7BB-E5367B33857A.jpeg

That looks like a handy thing to have :) love that handle, the shape and the figuring looks so much better and fitting than a simple cylinder of wood stuck on a bit of metal (y)

Very nice work Brill. Not sure if I’d fancy using it, looks like it could remove a finger or two in the wrong hands !

Very nice work Brill. Not sure if I’d fancy using it, looks like it could remove a finger or two in the wrong hands !
Works rather well for detail work haven’t used it too much as it’s still been heavy work but now it’s getting warm I’ll be making things again more now so it’ll get some use

That reminds me Adrian, text incoming.....

What sort of stuff do you do Brill ?
Cheers Andy
Work wise hedglaying in season mostly then the rest of the time general outdoor carpentry lots of gates sometimes bespoke nice onse and fences and also repairs I had a Facebook and Instagram under bear woodcraft. Went self employed in 2014 I’ll make anything if asked really doing a children’s mud kitchen for the village play group currently

That looks like a handy thing to have :) love that handle, the shape and the figuring looks so much better and fitting than a simple cylinder of wood stuck on a bit of metal (y)
Prettt much what was there before basically a branch shoved it thought it deserved better and the boxwood was nicely figurative as it’s usually a bit bland

Prettt much what was there before basically a branch shoved it thought it deserved better and the boxwood was nicely figurative as it’s usually a bit bland

Impressed - you're too modest - that's much better than just 'shoving a branch through'.

It's a side axe, so sometimes they offset the handle ('up' in your picture) to clear knuckles from the wood.

If you have the space -how about a French clogmaker's (sabotier) bench - basically a big rough old tree stump raised off the ground by 3 legs with a flattened top and wooden additions to wedge the clogs in. Useful for allsorts.

Impressed - you're too modest - that's much better than just 'shoving a branch through'.

It's a side axe, so sometimes they offset the handle ('up' in your picture) to clear knuckles from the wood.

If you have the space -how about a French clogmaker's (sabotier) bench - basically a big rough old tree stump raised off the ground by 3 legs with a flattened top and wooden additions to wedge the clogs in. Useful for allsorts.
Thankyou couldn’t remember the actual name of them and the bench not sure it’s get much use I prefer my William Lennon boots lol I use an old stump on legs for my carving very handy

Whats the scale of that axe? it looks like your knuckles would be scraping against the back of the axe head.

I'm thinking because of the short handle it doesn't get swung in the normal way, is it more of a scraper / plane in use?

Just a side axe good for carving etc and detail work

Back