French cleat help please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rich.h

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm in the process of making up some proper workshop furniture so that I can really start learning things without the silly problems of wobbly benches, dust filled cupboards etc etc. My current piece is a wall hanging tool cabinet using a plan I found on line. It calls for using French cleats to hang on the wall. After some searching and reading I feel like my eyes have had a blinker removed, seeing how simple they are and how versatile they can be I'm wondering is there is any form of formula for cleats with weight allowances? The plan I'm using only calls for 3/4" cleats but if I wanted to perhaps hang something heavy do I need to increase the thickness or such?

Thanks in advance for any help offered.

3/4'' thick material - normally ply will be fine. However you could make the cleats wider/deeper to get a better fixing/ glue area to help spread the load on both the cabinet and on the wall.

So say 18mm ply xxxmm wide to suit your cabinet back x 50 - 75mm deep? cleats

rich.h":232a1wzd said:
It calls for using French cleats to hang on the wall. After some searching and reading I feel like my eyes have had a blinker removed, seeing how simple they are and how versatile they can be I'm wondering is there is any form of formula for cleats with weight allowances? The plan I'm using only calls for 3/4" cleats but if I wanted to perhaps hang something heavy do I need to increase the thickness or such?
Afraid I don't know of any formula for weight allowances, but 19mm cleats are as strong as the joint(s) to the wall on the one hand and to the cabinet on the other.

Btw, I experienced a similar eureka moment about french cleats a couple of years ago..... they are such a simply elegant solution! I ended up using them for this thread:

wall-storage-shelves-hanging-from-french-cleat-wall-slats-t61985.html

Cheers,
Andy

deserter":3ido13to said:
To hang more weight add an extra cleat.

~Nil carborundum illegitemi~
Ditto if they fall off the wall.

Back