Freecycle Finds

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kinverkid

Established Member
Reaction score
While reacting to the Parkinson Perfect Vise post with my Freecyle acquisitions, I was wondering if anyone else out there would be interested in posting their own lucky free-finds from the same or similar sites. I'll kick off with the photos I've just uploaded. A Parkinson Perfect vise, sickles (3), blow-lamp, USA made Stanley No4 1910-18, car jack, apple peeler and bench stop all collected from the post offering just a vise and bench-stop.
P1050338.jpg
P1050343.jpg

That fretsaw is a credit to you. I have 4 different models of Hobbies saws that need restoring and you may have inspired me to get on with them.

Complete strip down removed rust old paint fabricate a couple of parts that were broken straighten arms repaint rebuild measure and fit new belt and made base for it good as new lol

Believe they did it was painted green and red not traditional hobbies colours but was how they wanted it

Not free tools this time. I picked this small gate-legged oak table last week from Freecycle. One of the gate legs had come apart along with one of the glue joints failing on the table top. A repair had been attempted to glue the top back together by planing the edges flat which was originally held together with a spline. So, I ploughed out the remains of the old spline and replaced it with a new one. The gate leg just required gluing back together and two new dowels to replace the broken ones it would swing out on. The main, middle piece of the top seemed to be water stained. But when I chemically removed the finish and lightly sanded it, the stains had gone saving me any further chemical treatments to remove them. I didn't take before photos. I only had the one from the owner posted on the Freecycle site. This is a table we will be keeping for ourselves.
P1050552.jpg
P1050556.jpg

Drop Leaf Table.jpg

I'm lucky enough to have a (relatively) new neighbour who has been doing a fair bit of renevation so have had lots of useful materials from her skip, all of my workshop shelves now have tough plywood tops with a strong (hideous green faux marble) resin / plastic top, also various timber offcuts, and a workbench, left by the previous owner. Freecycle wise I've got a 42" tv which has been used for 5 years now and is flawless, I've also had several wooden bed frames, which I have mostly used for the wood, and one that I sleep on. If I had a van I estimate I could fill a whole house in a year from freecycle with ease. Excellent site, apart from a few people who view it as a way to have others take away their rubbish for free

Back