Free

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Martin

The gas installation analogy is a good one. At present the IEE 16th edition regs (BS7671) are not mandatory. OK you'd be an silly person if you didn't follow them but basically you can invent your own system (as did the guy who had my house before me). The electricity board don't have to connect you however and may require that you show compliance if, say, you were new building or doing extensive renovation etc. My understanding now is that the government wants a system where anything more than changing a light fitting will have to be signed off by a "competent person" I would think this means a NICEICIECEC, or whatever the initials are, sparks or firm. You will need to show certificates when you come to sell your house for example. Don't ask me how it's all going to work in practise (I don't suppose the government has thought it all through). I've just bought a batch of the old black and red cable and hope to get everything done before it changes (November was last I heard).

Gary

You could do similar to Adam. Kit out the workshop and run your cable to the meter cupboard and get an electrician to do the final check and connection. You might consider a standalone RCD or RCBO (like for showers) if you didn't want to change an old or full consumer unit. If the workshop is a good way from the house you might need to think about using an earth rod rather than exporting the house earth. In any event I think it is best to have separate RCDs for house and workshop. I am really thankful that my workshop is attached to the house I wouldn't want to get involved with armoured cable.

Roy

Roy - thanks for the info. I had a feeling you didn't need to follow them, but as you say you'd be stupid not to. My garage/workshop is already wired (done by the previous owners of the house) - but I'm not sure yet what they did. I really just want to extend the numer of sockets + be sure the circuit is safe for large power tools. Expect I'll get my brother in to help out...

Cheers,
Martin.

Gawsh, it's amazing what a response a post containing the words 'free' will achieve!!! :shock: :D

Seriosly though, thanks guys.

Adam. Don't want to go to too much trouble, as the house doesn't belong to us. (private rental, see :cry: ). Also we dont have floorboards, as the houses are only 20 or so years old (therefore cheap and with concrete floors!!). Looks like I'll have to find a way of hiding a cable indoors and explain to TPTB that it's the 'safest' thing to do

Back