FREE timber again

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dickm

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
OK, so no-one near Milton Keynes seems to want the plum trunk I offered a few weeks back (do any other readers of this forum actually have to live in this benighted area?)

So, rather than burning it, or leaving it for the beetles, I'd be happy to deliver it , some time in the next couple of months, to anyone living near the M1-M6 corridor as far as Lancaster, or the M1-M6-M45 corridor.
To remind, it's about 12" diameter and 5 feet long.
PM to me if interested

Dick,

I'd like it, in Northampton, if you can deliver. Do you have any means of cutting it into manageable chunks? My bandsaw cuts up to 11" height.

Shame to let it rot - has it split much yet?

Cheers,

Roger

Dick,
I live only a few miles away in Leighton Buzzard and wanted it when you originally posted unfortunately SWMBO has imposed a bit of a ban on <quote>any more bl**dy wood </quoute> if it had been smaller I think I'd have tried to sneak it in :wink: but at 5 feet long I think she'd have noticed. :lol:

cd

rogerrabbit":2ndn2j2d said:
Do you have any means of cutting it into manageable chunks? My bandsaw cuts up to 11" height.

I think all you need is a draw knife, pack the log to stop it rolling and work a flat on the top. You then have a flat to rest on the bandsaw table and only 11" of timber to cut. :D

Sounds clever - I can imagine the technique, but have never done that. Off to Ebay for a draw knife then.

I'll have the timber anyway - no rush to deliver.

Regards,

Roger

rogerrabbit":27ddh1wz said:
Sounds clever - I can imagine the technique, but have never done that. Off to Ebay for a draw knife then.

Roger
If your bandsaw table has enough "outboard" support width and you can knock up some temp. length support (or "inboard" if it will go under the top frame) you may be able to slice a cord? off the side of the log to reduce its 'height' for further sectioning under your 11"

CHJ":212z3vgn said:
[If your bandsaw table has enough "outboard" support width and you can knock up some temp. length support (or "inboard" if it will go under the top frame) you may be able to slice a cord? off the side of the log to reduce its 'height' for further sectioning under your 11"
Sounds possible, but you'd need to watch out that the log didn't roll and trap the blade. (I know, I've been caught that way!) Really needs some sort of cradle to keep the log from rolling. Which would, of course, reduce your depth of cut as well.
I've yet to try it, but my daughter got me a "Beam machine" for Xmas, which is supposed to guide a chainsaw for planking. Will report on this when I've got my courage up to use it!

dickm,

I am in the process of setting up a workshop in Bedford. If you are able to hold onto the log for a while I would be happy to pick it up.

Regards,
Adam

Thanks for the web site refs, Alf. Another thing to make one day! At the moment, I just hack off one side of any logs to make them flat-ish, and then hope for the best. S

Latest posts

Back