free standing cabinet advice please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

worsley947

Established Member
Reaction score
Good evening all,
I have been asked to make a free standing tv unit that needs to be 1320 wide x 360 deep x 2000 high, it will need to have doors at the bottom to a hight of 610 with the tv sitting on the top of this then adj shelving above the tv, with a fixed top at 2000 the will be a shelf in the bottom unit behind the doors
hope that makes sense as I cant do sketchup, if someone can draw me one fantastic :D
It will be made from MDF and then painted
advise please on best way to construct it ie biscuit joints and screws, what thickness mdf, standard mdf or mrmdf
doors 12mm mdf then a 6mm edge glued on to make it look like a panel and frame door
best way to not show the edges when painted
I will get the mdf cut to size so that its square
whats best for the adj shelving, pins or ?
sorry if too many questions, but all help and advice accepted
thanks
dave :D

No it will be fixed to a left hand wall and the back wall, just ment its not an alcove fitting one
dave

1/ MR MDF, always, with (in ascending preference) Dominos, biscuits or dowels for alignment, plus screws and glue.

2/ 1320mm is a wide span - assume any shelf will need some kind of lipping on the front edge, and possibly a length of metal angle in there as well, depending on proposed loads.

3/ Assuming you’ll build on a low plinth (70mm?) your cabinet will be ~700mm high, plus you need to allow ~800mm for a TV on a stand, leaving 500mm max (inc materials thickness) for any shelves; does this warrant an adjustable shelf, or would they be better off with fixed shelves?

4/ If the cabinet is to house sky/free view boxes, DVD player, games console etc... consider changing your door design to accommodate punched panels in the doors, a) for ventilation and b) so the customer doesn't have to open the doors every time they want to change channels.

5/ If adjustable shelves are a must, then my preference would be for rows of holes inside the cabinet, and bookcase strips above.

6/ Fit a back to everything - helps massively with rigidity.

7/ Sketchup; it’s handy, but not essential. Any simple 2D drawing package that can work to scale will do all you want, as will a pencil, ruler and graph paper.

HTH Pete

Edited to add quick & dirty sketch with alternative upper shelf arrangement - fixed centre upright, adjustable either side:-
Untitled.png

Pete

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    28.8 KB · Views: 76
Back