Free returns web orders

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
Twice this year I have been charged for return delivery on an internet order (I even have Amazon Prime). I thought the law was 14 day return allowed on all internet orders but they seem to be getting around this by stating in small print that returns are charged when order was placed.
Can they legally get away with that, I understand the seller doesnt like free returns.

The law says you can return it within 14 days for a full refund (including original postage) but if it's because you don't like it then you are still liable for the return costs. They are not allowed to charge you an admin fee or restocking fee though.
If the item is not as described or faulty, then you get a free return.

also, Amazon prime usually has free returns IF the item is sold and dispatched from Amazon themselves not from a third party. For example yesterday ordered a pair of shoes, free delivery free returns, after reading comments about sizing decided to buy a half size bigger. However this size, even though on the same listing/ page were sent from a third party and were NOT free returns.
Always double check before you click the buy button.

But how do you know you will not like it when seen in the flesh so to speak because it does not do the job like the previous model.

devonwoody":2y9cy7hk said:
But how do you know you will not like it when seen in the flesh so to speak because it does not do the job like the previous model.

It's the risk you take when buying online. You can't expect the seller to pay shipping both ways if there is nothing wrong with the item.
If that was the law then all items would be priced to include outward and return shipping on every item and all customers would bear the cost of the few that return things.

You can return an item on Amazon Prime if sold direct or fulfilled by them using one of their "automated" return codes to get a free return label. It's usually sufficient to quote a "later than planned" delivery or a variation from the quoted spec. e.g. the weight, colour and/or size are somewhat different, so long as it's true.

Sometimes the price from Amazon is significantly lower just after you have bought from them and they often send an email to point this out (out of spite or just bad business sense). I have visited one of their warehouses - the size is amazing e.g. about 10x a football stadium and the staff don't seem to be totally unhappy to be working there, unlike how the media portrays them. I did accept all their free gifts on a visit too.

Simon_M":2r64y18x said:
You can return an item on Amazon Prime if sold direct or fulfilled by them using one of their "automated" return codes to get a free return label. It's usually sufficient to quote a "later than planned" delivery or a variation from the quoted spec. e.g. the weight, colour and/or size are somewhat different, so long as it's true.

Sometimes the price from Amazon is significantly lower just after you have bought from them and they often send an email to point this out (out of spite or just bad business sense). I have visited one of their warehouses - the size is amazing e.g. about 10x a football stadium and the staff don't seem to be totally unhappy to be working there, unlike how the media portrays them. I did accept all their free gifts on a visit too.
I visited an Amazon warehouse and I highly recommend it. Fascinating.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Although not strictly as per the thread heading but for FYI. Paypal have just announced they are changing the way they charge vendors concerning refunds.
So basically, if you buy something and straight away find out the missus or if at a work your oppo has also just ordered the same thing as you for the department etc and you call back to cancel kind of thing. when the vendor refunds you, previously paypal would also refund their charges to the vendor and only keep a 30p processing charge. Now as they realise their wallet is about to take a beating as Ebay is gonna let you pay using other systems. They are looking for ways to keep the cash up. So what does that mean for us customers either expect a no you bought it "tuff", even if they havent sent it or highr prices to compensate for the cost of this to the vendor.

Louis rossman has a pretty good vid about it on his tube channel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPXhzgC2ODs

edit fernicket laptop mouse pad acting up

Back