Free Plans - well almost

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Knight

Established Member
Reaction score
One of the books on my woodworking shelves is "Thos. Moser's Measured Shop Drawings" which is a collection of dozens of pieces of furniture and accompanying drawings. These are not drawings for an absolute beginner as they lack the kind of detail usually needed by someone just starting. However, the joinery tends to be rather standardised so that where it is not spelt out in detail, reference to another piece will usually reveal what has been done.

Moser's furniture is to my eye very attractive in a rather spare, Shakerish way. His shop was home to many well known USA cabinet makers like Chris Becksvoort who writes for FWW and who basically continue with the house style.

I have just noticed that on Moser's site ( http://www.thosmoser.com/home/index.php ) if you click through to a piece of furniture, there is the possibilty in many (but not all) cases to view a "cut sheet" which gives the major dimensions. If you have the book, combining the information from the book's insights on the joinery and the dimensions in the cut sheets, you have all you need to copy the piece of furniture.

Hmm, interesting. I don't have that title, although I do have his "How to build Shaker furniture" which isn't bad. Sounds pretty similar in terms of detail; if you need to be told how to cut a mortise and tenon you're on your own. :D But I'm surprised a book with "measured drawings" in the title doesn't give you the major dimensions anyway. :shock:

Did you notice in the little pic for "Interested in a custom piece?" in the side bar, someone appears to be using a Surform! So that's what you should have been using on your chair, Chris. :wink:

Cheers, Alf

Alf,

In the book I mentioned the dimensions are given for the pieces in the book but the site has other pieces too.

A surform - why not indeed - Sam Maloof used several! Probably just as good as my expensive Auriou rasps.

Ahh, the penny drops. I misunderstood; 'pologies.

So the Surform's making a comeback eh? I spent many an hour using one in my yoof, and 3/4 of that clearing out all the jammed "shavings"... :( I just don't see it as the tool of choice for promoting quality custom-made furniture. :? Which Auriou raps d'you have? I've been looking at them for some time, but the prospect of dropping 40-50 quid on one has, er, stayed my hand shall we say! :shock: :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Alf,

rasps.jpg

From left, seed 9, seed 10 seed 11, seed 13, seed 15. I think the two on the left are designated cabinetmakers rasps and the other 3 are called something different for some reason. They are all basically half round.

They do cut beautifully.

Hmm, nice. Is there much difference in finish between each individual grade? Or could the cash-strapped woodworker skip a few. Like, say, four or 'em? :wink: Btw, what lovely companions they brought with them on the photo shoot. :D How's using the cigar shave going?

Cheers, Alf

Pretty sure dying and going to heaven would probably result in waking up in Chris' workshop. :lol:

P.S. What was the topic again...? :oops:

Alf,

The cigar shave is at the moment in learning mode - or rather, I am in learning mode and it, I suppose, is in teaching mode. I succeeded with the help of the Tormek in overcoming a traditional problem with these things, which is to sharpen them and I have a pretty good edge on it. (I have no idea what quality the steel is though and how long the edge might last). However, the mouth is very tight - and yes, I do believe I have the blade on the right way round, which ain't obvious I must admit - and the darn thing clogs up after just a couple of strokes no matter how fine a cut I set on the blade. I may get there in the end, or I may conclude the reason you don't see these things being made nowadays is because they aren't a whole lot of use!

Toolwise, my little part of heaven isn't too bad but spacewise is another story. If heaven is like this I may have a look at the other place - assuming I have any say in the matter!

waterhead37":1fhqqkkr said:
One of the books on my woodworking shelves is "Thos. Moser's Measured Shop Drawings"

I have that on my shelves, too :). I naively thought it would have other things apart from measurements and drawings - like cut-lists, and construction hints. But - to be fair - it does exactly what it says on the tin, er... cover. So it decorates my shelves until I learn a bit more.

I do like the style of furniture, though. One day... one day :).

Alf,
Re the difference in grades - you won't notice the difference in one grade but you would between two. If I had to settle for one I would go for the 10 seed grade.

Latest posts

Back