Free Oak!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Hi

I've got an Oak tree stump that I want to remove.

I was enquiring about a chainsaw today & the chap asked me how big it was. When I told him, he said he thought that some people would be willing to come & take it away for the wood??? (Is this true???).

It's just over 6 foot high & about 30 inch diametre. I live in Merseyside.

Going free to anyone who wants it :wink:

MWM

manwithmission":3p72j0l4 said:
he said he thought that some people would be willing to come & take it away for the wood??? (Is this true???).

Oh yes its true. :D

The only problem for me is your too far away. :x

That's a pity. Ah well, maybe someone local will want it.

God knows how they'll get it on a vehicle though. I'd have thought it would be well over a tonne.

Thanks
MWM

Hi MWM,

I would deal with it with a chain saw, by slabbing it vertically, in situ, to ground level, say in 3" slabs. Then, with another pair of hands to keep control of the slabs, cut through at the bottom, removing each slab as it comes free. Needs a bit of care, but I have done this successfully in the past. Using a chainsaw, there is a fair bit of waste but still plenty of valuable wood left.

The slabs are then manageable and can be resawn, planed, thicknessed, etc., as required after drying.

Cheers,

Trev.

My thoughts were also to chain it down. Someone is then sure to come along and remove it for you free of charge :)

Many years ago I was faced with a similar problem, although the stump concerned was from a yew tree, and was about 3 feet high, and about the same diameter. I found no simple or easy answer, but I dug around the stump using a maddox axe (a bit like a pick axe, but with an axe blade on one half of the head, and a heavy duty 'hoe-like' blade on the other). By digging a moat around the tree I was able to cut through the roots as they were exposed, and then rock the stump back and forth until it worked free. If the hole is really deep the only way to extract the stump is to use planks to wedge in the hole around the stump levering it out bit by bit (rather like creating an inverted wig-wam type of framework of the planks). Cutting the stump with a chain-saw may reduce the size and allow bits to be taken away by people who want the wood, but you are still left with the residue of the stump.

cheers, Pete L :wink:

They also had much smaller fields and probably left the trees in the hedge rows. :D

Jason

Another ancient technique was to cut the trunk at ground level, then cut a cross into the top of the stump. Over time, rain would penetrate into the trunk through the cut cross and make it rot from within.

Gill

A carefully placed explosive charge works well :wink:

As does a landrover moving at moderatly high speed with a good strong chain................actually this one is a bit dodgy, so i'll leave it there

Bean

Bean":3hzehbk4 said:
As does a landrover moving at moderatly high speed with a good strong chain................actually this one is a bit dodgy, so i'll leave it there

Yep. To coin a phrase, I know where you're coming from, Bean. I'll leave it there...........

Cheers,

Trev.

As does a landrover moving at moderatly high speed with a good strong chain

I tried that one once Bean, series one landrover, a stout rope attached to the tow hook at one end and a large bush at the other. Accelerated away, rope stretched a little, bush let go of the ground and flew at the landrover. Net result, one broken back window, a cab full of rope and bush and me, wondering where I get these silly ideas from!

Dennis

trevtheturner":2wh2wiv8 said:
Bean":2wh2wiv8 said:

Yep. To coin a phrase, I know where you're coming from, Bean. I'll leave it there...........

Cheers,

Trev.

Yep - me to I'm afraid.... :oops: :oops: :oops:

Gary

Back