Free magazines on line inc Fine Woodworking Archive

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As I say, that is the default position and an author can sign away his rights if he wants to do so.
No-one has been able to produce a contract stating otherwise. Personally I have no recollection of signing any contract at all back then, although that doesn't mean I didn't. But I don't have a copy, Future doesn't have a copy and My Time Media doesn't have a copy either, so there is certainly no evidence that I signed anything away.
I do remember a conversation with Pete Martin, in which he told me that Future had exclusive rights for 6 months (this was to stop me selling the same article to multiple mags at the same time - perfectly fair enough) but thereafter I could do with it what I liked, and I have found several people from that time who have similar, if rather vague, recollections. So there must have been some sort of policy, but that doesn't change the law.
Anyway, as I say, I believe that is now settled.

I really would like to know what the situation is here, because if it is legit I'd like to download the lot! But if it isn't, I want nothing to do with it and I don't think we should be discussing it here.

S

As I said at the start, I thought this must be legit or I would not have posted, but now I start to think I may have been too naive. I've contacted Taunton Press through their website and will report back on their answer.
If the mods prefer to remove all references now I quite understand.

Just anecdotaly (because clearly the specifics arent known yet)....I would be very surprised indeed if a well known publisher that currently has a price list with those products still listed.....was allowing them to be distributed free...digitally. That would be a business whose core activity is producing intellectual property to publish.

Conversely, if someone had illegally uploaded the same copyrighted material to the internet....I wouldnt be remotely surprised. Rule of thumb from the world of IT....if something is available on the Internet thats too good to be true....it probably is!

Guys
I have emailed Taunton Press and their reply was "..... I brought this site to the attention of our legal department and it turns out they are infringing on our copyright policies by posting this material......"

So as others suspected this was an illegal site. It's so easy to get caught out by these sites and if they continue to prosper they will only do great harm to the creators of the original articles in the long term.

OK, so now we have established that, may I make a suggestion?
As a responsible forum, perhaps we should ask one of the mods to remove all the links in this thread which point to the illegal site. There is no need to remove the whole discussion, it's been proper and constructive, as far as I can see. But we shouldn't be promoting this sort of activity so I think removing the direct references to it would be helpful.
S

I've not yet had a reply to the similar enquiry I sent to Taunton Press but I agree - let's remove all links - and I apologise to all for letting my enthusiasm get the better of my normal level of scepticism.

Andy

Don't be too hard on your self as it was a very "genuine" looking site. You were only trying to help other members, so no need to apologise.

Hi - I tried to get at this information but the url link(s) seem to not be there anymore and I tried to get into the forum link and it says I'm not authorised (how do you get authorised?)

any help would be appreciated -

thanks

Read the thread!
It's copyright material which should not have been freely available. If you want it, buy a subscription from Fine Woodworking.

If you do want it, you need the correct subscription to fine woodworking. Subscribing to the digital magazine will only get you access to the magazine's from the date you have subscribed onwards. Excellent value at £20 per year. The archive subscription is more. I don't have it so no idea on price.

It's $99 for the year for everything, or $10 per month.

I also subscribe to the digital version only - well worth the money.

Also, whilst I think. I subscribed a couple of months ago. At that time, you had to do it through iTunes or play store for the online magazine. They had not sorted the Taunton site for eu gdpr compliance. May have changed since.

Back