Free books with the woodworking magazines this month.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhossydd

Established Member
Reaction score
A lot of the UK woodworking magazines are being packed with free books this month. I found the following at a local W H Smiths.
Seems a good deal for some useful or interesting books still on sale elsewhere at full price.

Wood Carving Magazine;
Essential woodcarving techniques by Dick Onians

Furniture and Cabinetmaking;
French Polishing by Derek Jones

Woodturning;
Woodturning Evolution by Nick Agar & David Springgett

Woodworking Crafts;
Routing for beginners(2nd edition) by Anthony Bailey

I think I must have been in Smiths at about the same time.
I don't normally buy magazines but F&C with Derek Jones book (cover price £9.99) for £4.75 seemed too good to miss.
Not sure if I would have bought the book at the cover price but together it isn't a bad deal.

i would be interested on your thoughts about that book Glynne- if it seems ok, i might give that combination a go.

Hi Mark. I've only had a quick look at the moment but it seems very good. 111 pages going from the background, through materials, surface prep, stains & colour, application and cleaning / repolishing.
I've never actually done French polishing apart from a panel when I was with Andrew Crawford so the book is ideal for me. At less than a fiver you can't go wrong really.

i have just picked up Woodturning and Furniture and Cabinetmaking.

a couple of mags and a couple of books for less than £10 doesnt seem too bad at all.

I've had a bit more of a read of French Polishing by Derek Jones and quite like his matter of fact approach. No silver bullets, just plain advice and then go and do it and practice.
I'm now Googling for shellac flakes!

dictum was the cheapest that i found. If you want some, i can send you enough to get you started. let me know...

Latest posts

Back