Foxy new cast iron tablesaw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Hi all

Just got some new blades for my Del;ta thicknesser and Rutland sincluded their latest catalogue.

Clearly I had to check that there was nothing in there I had forgotten to order :) when I came upon the followinf

Fox 10" 3hp cast iron tablesaw withh huge sliding table and what looks like a very substanital fence all for the sum of £729 inc VAT. WOW. If I'd seen this I might not have bought the Kity.

Cheers

T

Looks amazing for the money - there must be a catch...

What we need is a guinea-pig to buy one and give us a detailed report. I wonder if Alf wants a new table saw? :lol:

Sorry Alf, a very poor joke and I apologise :)

NeilCFD (who is now feeling very bad for being so mean...)

Fox machines never seem to appear in the polls or reviews - what sort of reputation do they have??

By the way, I was told at Ally Pally that the Scheppach TS2500 would appear with a cast-iron table soon (either March or May, can't remember which)

Roy

I'm starting to think that this is a rebadged Record :(

Just looking for some evidence...

NeilCFD

After all those problems ALF has with the Maxi, I expect she's saving those pennies (and it'd need a lot of 'em) to purchase a Felder. Perhaps you could raise funds by auctioning off some of those tail-less tools ALF? You might get a few squid from the scrap metal man for the Maxi :shock: :x :twisted: !

Adam

Well, I think it is - I couldn't find a picture of the Record with the sliding carriage, but here is one of the standard Record:

Record%20_TSPP_250.jpg

and here is the Fox:

F36528.jpg

Notice the giveaway Record-style curved panels on the stand, and various other striking similarities...

The radial pull 'feature' made me suspicious...

So I guess they are both made by Lurem in France.

It's a lot cheaper than the equivalent Record though, although you don't get the 'fantastic' Record name :roll:

NeilCFD

And here's the French version:

del18.jpg

Rgds

Noel (on a very slow day..)

Well if it's a flaming French Record I'm not touching it with a ten foot pole, even for you guys :lol: Well spotted, Neil. The Fox badged stuff has only started to appear fairly recently, hasn't it? Anyone got any info on them at all?

Adam, even if I sold all my other tools; tailed and tail-less, I still wouldn't get a Felder. I'd never get it in the workshop :(

Cheers, Alf

Who will go back in the hutch and eat a carrot now. :wink:

I must be missing something here 'cause the French version doesn't look like the Fox to me :?

Tony,

The Lurem picture isn't great quality. I shall see if I can find another one. But take in the curved panels, switch location, blade height controls etc and then do a bit of conclusion jumping.... Oh, and ignore the Alu table...Now there is a French connection with Fox and also a Delta connection (although maybe not with all their products).

Rgds

Noel

Alf":8ok5ows6 said:
Adam, even if I sold all my other tools; tailed and tail-less, I still wouldn't get a Felder. I'd never get it in the workshop :(

You people are obsessed with workshop being too small. I can assure you a Felder would fit into any workshop if it had to :lol:

More evidence M'Lud
del18.jpg

I just worked out how to post pitchers, ta Neil.

Rgds

Noel (who's now a expert in the Lurem Greek & German markets)

Hi all

I thought you might like some comments about the Record/Fox/Lurem tablesaw from the Record site.

"Have now got my Table Saw up and running. It did, however, take over a month as the fence was not square. This required an engineer to come and bore out the fence attachment so as to adjust it! Not perhaps what one would expect with a brand new machine.
There is a review in the March issue of Good woodworking. They are generally favourable, but have a few comments.
I originally bought the machine at the D&M show in September purely on the promise of the forthcoming sliding carriage. This is now available, but for the older machines ( all of 4 months!), you have to drill and tap your own holes to fit it. Surely since the machine was conceived with a sliding carriage in mind, it was not beyond the wit of Record to ready drill the early machines as well?
The prospect of having to drill through a cast iron bed and hire or purchase a set of taps has given me second thoughts about buying the sliding carriage. It is this lack of foresight that drives people like myself, who would love to buy British, into the arms of foreign competitors.
I do hope that Record reply to this."

Posted 3/2/04 No reply from Record as at 27/2/04 :roll:

Cheers
Neil

I really do not understand the "anti Record " stance taken by many on this forum. I have no connection with the Company and have had both good and not so good experiance with their products.

Most of their products are badged imports - the same as nearly all other hobby and mid range products from their competitors in the UK, any difference is primarily cosmetic.

John,

Dunno about anyone else, but I get just a teensy-weensy bit annoyed that Record Power emblazon, in large letters, "Record Power, Sheffield, England" on the side of a French built machine for a start. Record have/had a good name in the business, and they've cashed in on it mercilessly in the past (at least I do hope it's in the past). And probably it's the same old story; when you know a company can produce really good kit, it's twice as annoying when they sell you a citrus fruit dressed up just like the good stuff. Nothing would give me greater pleasure than to be able to say "Wow, Record have really turned it around. Isn't their latest burfl great?" Maybe in a couple of years this may indeed happen. We can only hope.

Adam, s'not the size of the workshop, it's the size of the access to the workshop. We're talking slopes, dog-legged paths, hacking your way through dense eucalyptus forests, tiptoeing along narrow ledges with a sheer wall of granite on one side and a deep ravine with white water surging too and fro... Okay, so the last may be a tiny exaggeration. But it is quite a narrow path with the granite wall of the workshop on one side and a garden pond on the other :lol:

Cheers, Alf

John,

I think you inadvertently hit the nail on the head for me for the reason why I get annoyed about Record:

woodshavings":10l7hk7k said:
any difference is primarily cosmetic.

Why then, taking this Fox tablesaw for example, does the Record equivalent (priced at £799 + £280 for sliding carriage = £1079) cost £350 more than, in my mind, the identical saw with the Fox label? It is an awful lot to pay for having 'Record Power' on the side... The Jet with sliding carriage is a similar cost to the Record, and I know which one I would spend my money on...

NeilCFD (picturing the Axminster delivery guys carrying Alf's new bandsaw, struggling to get past Indiana Jones on the narrow ledge with a deep ravine in Alf's garden :lol: )

Hi woodshavings

woodshavings":wkonz688 said:
I really do not understand the "anti Record " stance taken by many on this forum. I have no connection with the Company and have had both good and not so good experiance with their products.

Please be assured that I was not trying to take an anti-Record stance with my posting.

I posted a message about the "Record/Fox/Lurem" tablesaw from the Record site as an informational posting about the Fox more than anything.

Cheers
Neil

Neil":v2ve5pj2 said:
picturing the Axminster delivery guys carrying Alf's new bandsaw, struggling to get past Indiana Jones on the narrow ledge with a deep ravine in Alf's garden :lol:
Yeah, pesky archeologists, always cluttering up the garden. I said we shouldn't have hung up that net of peanuts...

Chuckle. :lol: Actually the one, single, solitary Axminster delivery bloke put the crated bandsaw on his trolley and wheeled it right in. Just needed a certain amount of hanging on at the back on the way down the slope by yours truly. Oh, and the twigs and branches being picked out from between the slates of the crate afterwards. :roll: But then bandsaws are a whole lot narrower than Felders :(

Cheers, Alf

Topic? There's a topic? :oops:

woodshavings":2buqzh0b said:

Most of their products are badged imports - the same as nearly all other hobby and mid range products from their competitors in the UK, any difference is primarily cosmetic.

Me? I just don't like them. Have had a go on their stuff, seen the demonstrations looked over the products and....nope, just don't like them, along the lines of ALF, they are cashing in on their former name, I would prefer they A) made good solid, reliable, quality English products or less preferred B) Import everything like they do, but stop pretending it's English and expensive and sell it cheap (i.e. like the Fox price). I don't like them because they are charging a high price for, at best, (IMHO)average product.

I don't like Volkswagon either (as they are cashing in on their "reliability" reputation, despite being only as reliable as Ford/Vauxhall - but still charging a premium price, and I know 'cos I got one).

Heres my "want" statement....

I want high quality tools. I want exemplary technical support (if neccasary), and spares etc to be available for many years. I want no-quibble assistance if something breaks - even "out-of-warranty", e.g. if a fence etc breaks, then I consider it to be the manufacturers fault for not designing it properly, regardless how how long out of warranty it is. (assuming you're not doing something really stupid)

Am I prepared to pay for it? Yes, as in the long term, you have less hassle, it costs less to maintain, the second hand prices are better, you don't have to replace it simply because a bearing or a shaft is damaged etc. Also, if you spend ages looking for instructions etc on the web, you are wasting time.
<[phew]>

Adam

Hi Alf

Alf":wt0afe8r said:
Actually the one, single, solitary Axminster delivery bloke put the crated bandsaw on his trolley and wheeled it right in. Just needed a certain amount of hanging on at the back on the way down the slope by yours truly. Oh, and the twigs and branches being picked out from between the slates of the crate afterwards. :roll:

OK. so we've established that there was just one delivery from APTC.

Alf":wt0afe8r said:
But then bandsaws are a whole lot narrower than Felders :(

So what happened when he had to put the Felder on his trolley? :wink:

Did he take the maxi away as well?

Cheers
Neil

Latest posts

Back