FOX WOODTURNING CHUCK

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darkness

Established Member
Reaction score
HI EVERYONE I WAS THINKING OF BUYING A FOX CHUCK IT IS SIMILAR TO THE VICMARC IN THAT THE VICMARC JAWS FIT IT BUT IT IS £100 CHEAPER DO ANY OF YOU OWN ONE AND COULD YOU LET ME KNOW ABOUT THE BUILD QUALITY THANKYOU FOR YOUR HELP

I have a Fox FX4000 chuck. I find it manages very well with the standard jaws. I have turned boxes, bowls and platters (platters up to 350mm diameter) with no complaints. It is however, quite noisy. The rear plate seems to be slightly loose and rattles when turning - I have not managed to stop it from doing so.
Mike

The Fox chuck looks just like a Rutlands xt700 chuck, also Vicmarc compatible, which I used to own. These and other similar brands will be Chinese clones from the same factory, I`d guess. Mine performed absolutely fine. I only disposed of it because I changed to a lathe with a different thread. While it might not last you the rest of your life (but who can say?), it would be a good solution if you are on a budget. If you buy into the Vicmarc system, and later decide to spring for a Vicmarc chuck, it would still serve as a useful second chuck/ backup.

Ian

ive got the rutlands one its the same as the fox had mine years use it daily no problems

Bit of an old thread, but still relevant I guess, so worth mentioning that I got a Warco equivalent, likely one of the same chinese clones just rebranded, a while back to use as a dedicated chuck for my vicmarc cole jaws.

The tolerances are very loose on the jaw carriers within the chuck body, but doesn't seem to matter when tightened up on a workpiece as far as I can see, and think it only cost around sixty or seventy pounds at the time so seemed a very acceptable compromise solution to me.

The vicmarcs are higher quality with better tolerances for sure, but whether that translates into any real world practical benefits in most amateur/hobbyist woodturning is not obvious to me.

Cheers, Paul

I have two Fox FX4000 chucks for 3 years now, plus our club has a Vicmarc one - so I've used both and can compare - yes, the build quality of the Fox is lower than the Vicmarc, but nothing there's that prevents it's use - it's mainly the finishing of the metal is better on the Vicmarc. Disappointingly, there is no difference at all in the accuracy of the two types - they are both as inaccurate as each other (I'd expected the Vicmarc version to be better) - this is mainly an issue to spindle turners who want to remount & turn around work, especially small work - both chucks are suitable for bowl work and spindle work that does not have to be remounted.

Be aware as well that both chucks will also accept jaws from the Record Power RP4000 range.

I have the Dakota XT700 (Rutlands) one and have used it for approx 2 yrs, turning everything from pens to bowls, vases, hollow forms & platters up to 22 inch diam without any bother.
I was on a budget (still am) & this suited me fine, done everything I've asked of it.
I have 4 sets of jaws for it including Fox ones which fit as do Vicmarc etc.
They are good budget chucks - I haven't tried any of the more expensive ones so don't know what they do different to these ones.

Hello

I have the Record Power RP4000 chuck don't use it much but find it very handy if i've got some but jaws on the Nova and yes it does rattle a bit as everyone says you get what you pay for.

If your buget is as much as a Fox chuck will run to and its just for hobby use, go for one.

Olwyn

HGB - I am considering a Versachuck - has anyone tried one? hgb.

hgb":10dueyqq said:
Has anyone tried the Versachuck?
HGB
My wife has got me one for Christmas with the Axminster carrier jaws I haven't used it yet got to wait till Santa comes but I did check it over and it seems pretty good and very positive I have heard that the first batch weren't that good

Back