fox saws

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

The Fox saw is back on rutlands in their sale at £649.95.While this seems excellent value the one snag in the master plan is that it will not take the dreaded d*d* blade.As regular readers will have gathered by now I am totally obsessed with having one and I was wondering if the grooving blade that is an accessory of Scheppack's would fit or is there another type of adjustable blade that is not as thick as a stacked cutter? I don't fancy a wobble blade as I have heard they leave a slightly curved finish in the bottom of the groove,also they are usually quite wide themselves.Surely someone has realised there is a niche in the market for an adjustable cutter ? Any ideas guys?

All saws made for use in the EU now have to be fitted with an electrical brake and have a short arbor so that only single blades can be used.
This leaves you with the choice of either buying an old second hand machine that has a longer arbor as standard and has no brake (dangerous) or importing a saw like the Unisaw and paying the price accordingly.

Or an Xcalibur as per Philly. Woodford are the suppliers.

Noel

I know that the regs don't allow long arbors on saws in this country so how does scheppach's grooving blade work then?I guessed that it was the thickness of a normal blade but wider at the teeth. Can anyone elaborate? i also heard it was about £200 but I am not positive.harry

Philly, can you educate him (Harry)? He ain't listening.......

Noel

What's wrong with using a router to cut trenches( housings)? or as our American cousins call them 'dados'

Hi Harry,
I believe you would like to buy a table saw,one that takes a dado, maybe a little like the one Norm uses??
Fear not Friend, The Cast Iron Gods have not forsaken you......
Have a look at these threads for all the gory details-
https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2387
https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2311

The Woodford saw really is great-check out my review on my website-
http://www.philsville.co.uk/Xcaliber.htm

Finally, beware Harry-there are a lot that will talk you out of your dream table saw. Do not listen, they are only envious of the Cast Iron God! :roll:
It's out there-somewhere.....
Sir Philly of the Cast Iron Table :wink:

Harry if you have a saw that takes a dado blade.

Think how long it would take to remove normal blade, then do the setup for a dado blade.
Then take the dado blade off and put on the normal blade do another calibration and test run again.
I think long runs are necessary to justify using one of these things???

Yeah Devon,
It does takes a good 40 seconds, almost as long as removing a router bit and fitting a new one.
Its funny (and I'm not having a go at anyone inparticular-so don't take offense!) but most of the people who decry dado's and cast iron machinery have NEVER had real working experience with them! Everyone who has come to my workshop and had a go on my saw, jointer, etc has had a "penny-dropping" experience. This is the truth.
Dont knock it til you tried it!!!!
Cheers
Philly :D

<I will not rise to the d*d* blade bait, I will not rise to the d*d* blade bait,I will not rise to the d*d* blade bait...>

Cheers, Alf

Off to stick pins in a beared effigy... :wink:

Philly":2mfogvrh said:
Yeah Devon,
It does takes a good 40 seconds, almost as long as removing a router bit and fitting a new one.
Its funny (and I'm not having a go at anyone inparticular-so don't take offense!) but most of the people who decry dado's and cast iron machinery have NEVER had real working experience with them! Everyone who has come to my workshop and had a go on my saw, jointer, etc has had a "penny-dropping" experience. This is the truth.
Dont knock it til you tried it!!!!
:D

30 seconds if you label the chippers........
At the end of the day, use whatever you're comfortable with or whatever resources you have to hand. But dado users don't knock router users and router users don't knock dado users. It's no big deal. Perhaps DaveL will share his thoughts on the matter as I seem to recall that he planned to introduce himself and his Wadkin to stack dado cutters.

Noel

Noely":aq4hlyd1 said:
But dado users don't knock router users and router users don't knock dado users.
If I cut all my housings with hand tools, can I knock both camps...? :twisted: :wink:

Newbie_Neil":aq4hlyd1 said:
Alf":aq4hlyd1 said:
Off to stick pins in a beared effigy... :wink:
I was trying to work out what a teddy bear had done that was so wrong, but then I realised it should have been bearded. :lol:
A mere slip of the keyboard. Although I did have a teacher who was teddy bear mad, and I would have greatly enjoyed sticking pins in her, so perhaps a Freudian slip... :shock:

Cheers, Alf

Shoots Steiff On Sight :lol:

"Freudian slip" Another typo? You mean Freudian Bit, don't ya?

Noel

Alf":3ngddkye said:
If I cut all my housings with hand tools, can I knock both camps...? :twisted: :wink:

Cheers, Alf

Shoots Steiff On Sight :lol:
Alf,
You'll be telling us next that you have and use a special purpose plane, a hand router, for cutting housings. :lol:

Dewy":vijao0k6 said:
You'll be telling us next that you have and use a special purpose plane, a hand router, for cutting housings. :lol:
Urm, yes? At least until I can get round to sharpening up the #46's cutters. Not always of course, but it's a lot more fun than the accursed tailed router and I've got to justify them all somehow... :oops: :wink:

Cheers, Alf

Wow. what have I restarted here.I don't want to go into the router argument because although the little buzzing things do have their uses,(I have three myself)I would like to use a table saw to it's full potential. This includes box joints,rabbets and housings.The original question was how do Scheppach manage to fit a grooving blade on their machines legally?And to Philly I can only say that I know the Woodford web-site so well I can quote the section on table saws.There is also drool marks on my keyboard.They do seem to be the next best thing to a fully-fledged unisaw. Unfortunatley the price is at the moment out of my range.I must admit to being close to splashing out with the plastic card but meanness forbids.So it's back to saving up and doing the lottery.

Noely":fgl8824t said:
Perhaps DaveL will share his thoughts on the matter as I seem to recall that he planned to introduce himself and his Wadkin to stack dado cutters.

I will be posting about using the stacked dado cutter on the Wadkin. :D
I have taken a few pictures but work :( has got in the way. Please bear with me.

I am now wondering if the odd twinge I have had is due to Alf and her pins? :wink:

I have supplemented the beard with new safety glasses that have my reading prescription in, cost £47.50 from one of the high street opticians. I can recommend them, they are so much better than reading glasses with safety specs over the top. :D

Back