fox saws

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Has anyone reviewed the cast iron saw from fox yet?The reason I ask
has to do with the dreaded d*d* word.Having a set of cutters and chippers
only allows me at the moment to use them in my radial arm saw.I am fully aware of the in's and out's legal-wise but dammit I want one in a table saw. My present machine is a schepach ts2000 which is certainly not
powerful enough.After hearing about scheppach's grooving cutter being
the only legal way to use one of these I then wondered if the cutter would fit other cheaper machines?I wondered how sheppach manage to fit a grooving cutter to their machine without the arbor being considerably longer than is presently allowed.If I do not get a satisfactory answer I will
have to pass the hat round you lot till I have enough cash to go and live next door to Norm.Thanks in anticipation.(of the answer,not the cash)

Hi Harry
Welcome to the forum!
And what a way to introduce yourself :wink: The dado is a controversial subject amongst UK woodies-but help is at hand. I know at least two people have the Record saw which is the same as the Fox. They should be able to let you know about the arbor.
As to the cutter from Scheppach, I believe some of us own one of those too. Should be some answers coming your way.
For the record, I use a dado in my Unisaw clone and it really is useful.
I don't wear a check shirt though......(much :lol: )
regards
Philly :D

I'm just installing a Record TSPP250 cast iron table saw in my workshop (equivalent to the Fox F36529). I've just checked and it appears the arbour is only just long enough to take the standard blade, washer and nut.

I've got the tspp250 also, No way you'd get anything wider than one blade on the abour from what I have seen. Also not sure how it would intefere with the blade brake either FWIW.

CD

What I was surmising,(please correct me if i am wrong,)was that the Scheppach grooving cutter was'nt very much thicker than a standard blade.Then they would not need a long arbor which would contravene the rules.Also being a one piece item it should be ok with an electric brake. I believe the scheppach 4010 has one.I am really beginning to drift towards Woodfords unisaw clone.Thanks for the review boys.I have gone from spending 6 or 7 hundred to £998 + vat.When I have saved it up of course.
incidently anyone wanting a fox cast iron saw in the Lincs area can get one off e-bay for £425. ex-demo machines.The seller is called gingermen.
I have dealt with him before and he is a top bloke.

I've just seen the Fox saw in a DIY store here (990 €). I couldn't examine it too much detail, due to a persistent hovering salesman, but, although similar, the Fox isn't exactly the same as the Record. As mentioned elsewhere, there is only one cast iron table extension (and that wasn't as well ground as mine). The fence and the both the front and rear rails the fence run on are different from the Record and didn't seem as well engineered; the rear rail appeared to be pressed steel (aluminium on the Record).

That may mean other parts inside the casing are also different.

john

Philly

I know I've only just got back to work, but I'm missing the WS already. I've been browsing your WS looking at the table saw, now feeling a bit happier.

On my way to the airport I stopped of at Issac Lord (a really big diversion) I wanted to see if I could get some spares for the fence on my Ryobi BT 3000 (you can guess where I'm coming from :D ) anyway the bottom line from Ryobi is that I can't. Having said that I still get perfect results from the TS, but not really large enough to do sheets.

HID's asked me why I was so disappointed, so I had to explain that my 7/8 year TS could be coming to the end of its life, (wonder if I'll find a new one in my stocking :eek: ).

Whatever it will have to wait until next year as I promised after the show not to buy anymore tools this year (roll on jan 1 :twisted: ), which gives me time for research. Bottom line is, do you have a website for you Xcalibur.

Oh very impressed with Phillsville.

Cheers

Philly..Love the historic pics of the workshop on your site, after years of making and using my own workbenchs out of MDF, Kitchen worktop and Chipboard...i think its time i brought one of those nice Carpenters bench's you have installed

UKTony,
It's a bit of an effort making one-but you really will not regret it!
After all-everything you make is done with it!
cheers
Philly :D

Back