Fox Portable Thicknesser and Mitre Saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bean

Established Member
Reaction score
Howdy folks
I now really need a thicknesser, I saw the fox version and fro, the limited view it looks not bad has anybody outthere got or seen one in the flesh ?

I would also like some comments on the mitre saw aswell :D

Bean

I would also like some comments on the mitre saw as-well

If you mean the 'Fox f36300' it is the same as the £460.00 'Rexon SCM12A'. Although the Rexon has a slightly bigger motor.

I have been looking at the Fox, I was looking at the Dewalt DW708 (big money) £570.00 quid, I am looking for what the Dewalt has over the Fox that can justify £281.00 difference! There are some very obvious differences, but double the price? As for the Rexon there seems very little difference between them.

I would like to be able to get the Fox and Rexon and strip the pair of them, then compare the components to see if the fox is assembled using components of inferior quality. All the usual ways of skimming the cream, like inferior switch-gear, rubbish bearings packed with taiwanese soap, sub-standard plastics and castings and the like.

Spud being an engineer by trade and profession I share your sentiments, outwardly i cannot see why there is such a difference between seemingly simular models. As I am off to Bakewell in a couple of week I will try to find rutlands and see if they have a showroom, if so I could sort of try one.

Bean

Bean,

Give Rutlands a ring before you go, got a feeling they don't like members of the public (ie, mail order only) but they may make an exception.

Rgds

Noel

Hi Bean

Rutlands do not have a showroom, as it is mail order only.

Apparently, it is just their administrative headquarters. The goodies are in a big shed near the M1.

Cheers
Neil

Hi! Bean, if you mean the thicknesser sold by rutlands (f22561) @£199.95 I've had it about a fortnight but only just got round to trying it out, I've only used it on softwood so far, but straight out of the box, it gave a finish that didn't need sanding. after being told on here that the Delta was very good,I then read that Fox & Delta were the same, so I was not surprised when on the box it said Fox-made for Delta france.
As I said, I've only used it on softwood, but I'm highly satisfied with it.
Good luck,
pip

Thanks Neil, Pip. I was hoping to find a user.
Pip I am intending to use it on a mixture of Hard and Softwood, out of interest what size of cuts are you taking ?

Bean

Bean,
As my woodworking has to be done outside,due to the weather I haven't yet used it "in anger", but I was just testing it, so only took very thin "slices".The hardwood test comes as soon as I get round to cutting up a 6ft x 12in x 9in lump of oak in the garage!
By the way, Axminster do a decent manual for the Perform CC10T,which also seems to be the same (how many different designs can they make?),
sorry I couldn't be more precise,
pip

Thanks Pip
I will be placing my order this week, just need to sort out a chip extractor and away it goes.

Bean

Bean

If the fox is the same as the Delta, then it is one of the best out there. I have the Delta and used it for a year on oak, ash, mahogany, beech and pine and on all of these the finish was as perfect as you could get.
I generally took about 1-1.5mm max cuts and then <0.5 to finish
I had to stop using it too much due to the very noisy motor (moved house and neighbours close to workshop) and need for a planer.

I still use it occasionally for a final pass after my SIP as the finish is definitely slightly better than my SIP P/T

I don't think you saw it when you were here as it is buried under the router table. You are welcome to nip over this week to have a look around it and give it a run.

Spud being an engineer by trade and profession I share your sentiments, outwardly i cannot see why there is such a difference between seemingly simular models. As I am off to Bakewell in a couple of week I will try to find rutlands and see if they have a showroom, if so I could sort of try one.

The Fox f36300 mitre saw has been discontinued! So if you want one, you need to move sharpish and grab some remaining stock.

Apparently, Rexon brought pressure to bear on Fox, because Fox were offering basically the same machine for a good deal less. Rexon got bitchy and started turning the authoritarian, greed screws. So now Rexon is the only supplier of this machine, which can be yours for a cool £450.00, instead of £280.00 from Fox.

Rutlands have long since pulled it from their site.

Latest posts

Back