Fox Morticer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waka

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone got any goods or bads of the Fox 1" morticer.

I have been trawling the sites and this with its adjustable table looks better than most I have come across.

Going to have a look at the show tomorrow but advice before purchase is always worthwhile.

Your thoughts will be appreciated.

http://www.rutlands.co.uk/cgi-bin/psPro ... |||user|||

If this is the one you mean Waka. I have one.

Actually to be more precise, I have one for sale.

It's not that it's a bad machine. Heavy cast iron, sliding table, retractable fence etc. Just not happy with it. The table is moved by a small handle at the front of the machine and it's not overly smooth. The fence is moved by a handle at the rear of the machine. This is just plain awkward to use. The holddown to stop the piece lifting does not go any lower than the fence top which is a couple of inches off the table. This means that if you are morticing anything thinner than this you have to have it on another block in order to raise it up. Some nice features though. The pull down handle can be fitted on either side for left and right handed operation. It has a couple of hold down clamps that can be screwed into the table for lateral movement or screwed into the fence for forwards and backwards movement. Can't fault the performance either. It's beefy enough for all the jobs I've asked of it even with some really poor free chisels that came with it.

Jeff

Jeff

That was the one I was looking at, the picture and write up indicates that its a fine machine, but then they always do.

Is the reason your selling it because of what you have stated? do you intend to get another one and if so what make and model.

I did see a write up on the next model down on sawdustally's web page, he raves about this one for the price. I think he paid £160 for it, but checking the Rutlands page this is nw £225.

I'm off to Ally Pally shortly so will try some out there.

What is yours on the market for?

Hi Waka

Why am I selling ? A good question.

As morticers go this one is a robust industrial class machine and, I would say, a step up from the one that SDA reviwed. It does all you can ask of a morticer albeit with the inconveniences that I mentioned. And rest assured, they are just that, inconveniences.

As to a replacement, my local dealer, 2 miles away is amongst other things, a Jet dealer and has their large floor standing model. Overkill - absolutely, Indulgance - of course, extra functionality - none. But it calls to me sad man that I am :oops:

What would I want for it, well offers really. It has been used a little but not a lot. At the end of the day it will be what someone offers me for it. Problem with selling used machinery is the postage cost. It's a heavy beast. Don't like touting for a sale but if you were thinking of it then I could mail some pics.

Enjoy the show.

Jeff

Back