fountain pen question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nev

Established Member
Reaction score
for someone's Xmas pressie i turned a fountain pen, from memory it was a chairman from vince in ttw. the recipient loved it and uses it everyday. (doctor - i think using a fountain pen helps towards illegible handwriting :)) the problem is this... he goes through ink cartridges at a rate of one a day almost. is this ....

a. normal :oops:
b. cheap pen kit/ construction :(
c. cheap nib :?
d. cheap ink :?
e. faulty, get another one. :evil:
f. other :?:

cheers folks

Nev,

It seems a lot, although we dont know how much writing he does. I have a couple of fountain pens- one takes ink, and doesnt need filling that often. The one that takes the "international"/small cartridges only needs a cartridge every few days, although that is just making notes etc. Cartridges pens do seem to use more ink IME.

If usage was excessive, however, i would have thought that the writing would reflect this with puddles on the paper- if this is not happening, then I can only assume that if not "normal" it is within tollerance. There may be something in the consistency of the ink- I use some French stuff in cartridges, because it was the exact shade of antique brown that I liked (Herbin's lie de the), and by luck the pen seems fine with it. I do recall having some that one pen did not like because it was a bit gloopy. There must be some difference between brands and their viscosity so it might be worth trying another.

HTH
Mark

I'm with Marcos - b, c, d, e and f would all leave tell tail evidence somewhere... :(

Small cartridge volume / high user

How about fitting a refillable reservoir and using bottled ink instead? I can't remember which of the pen suppliers sell these but I know they are available.

thanks guys, I'll go with high user/ small cartridge, the missus has just confirmed ' oh yes! he's always writing' !. I am waiting for some branded cartridges to arrive to see if different ink is any better, the ink that comes with the pen is a bit pale and watery so hopefully that will help. and I'll also look into the refillable option. failing that ive got an old roofing slate and some chalk i can offer as a backup :wink:

Nev...

PM me your address and i'll send you a refillable ink cartridge.

I buy my fountain pen kits from Turners Retreat and they come with the refill option, which most people dont go for/want, so i've got a stash of them down the shed. You're welcome to pass one on for your friend to try.

Nick

NikNak":2n5jitxw said:
Nev...

PM me your address and i'll send you a refillable ink cartridge.

I buy my fountain pen kits from Turners Retreat and they come with the refill option, which most people dont go for/want, so i've got a stash of them down the shed. You're welcome to pass one on for your friend to try.

Nick

cheers Nick, very kind . pm sent =D>

Back