Found an interesting thing while cutting through some timber

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
decent sized thing, deer round at minimum I would suggest.

I had the other half (well quarter) but I seem to have lost it, plus the 2.7mm kerf the blade would have removed, it would be quite a large caliber indeed.

it seems almost too large for a bullet, certainly any common sized calibre. .397 has to be about as large as you could get which is just short of 10mm, although a few decades back, perhaps there was a wider selection and fewer questions asked.

I target shoot with a .45 pistol (SIG) and an 1850 rifle with .458 calibre ball when in Germany.
It looks to be at least in that order of size.
Image. .45 and .357
DSC_0005.jpg

It's certainly much bigger than.357 magnum or .38
DSC_0007.JPG

Attachments

• DSC_0005.jpg
    DSC_0005.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 1,257
  • DSC_0007.JPG
    DSC_0007.JPG
    35.8 KB · Views: 1,238
I feel like I've watch enough mythbusters to know what a bullet looks like after its gone it to something and just completely based on that lame experience, I wanna say its not a bullet. Could it be shrapnel rather than a bullet?

chems i think its too cylindrical to be shrapnel, its definitely slug shaped, timber dosent deform slugs to much when i worked at a joinery we where cross cutting some redwood,and managed to cut in half a perfectly shaped copper washed 8mm or so round.

chas i occasionally shoot cap and ball .44 revolvers, great fun, my mentor was pretty peeved the first time i shot his gun as i managed to get all six chambers to go off and scored quite highly.

adidat

I recall many years ago on this forum there was a post with photograph (posted by I think Tony) of a complete rifle imbedded inside a tree trunk. The theory was that someone in the 19th century had rested his rifle against the tree and because for some reason it was never removed the tree enveloped the complete rifle.

Can we get one thing right Shrapnel are the round lead balls found inside a Shrapnel shell, like a flying shot-gun cartridge. The pieces of a shell casing thrown out when it bursts are 'fragment' not Shrapnel. The term has been miss-applied.

G

When I worked in a sawmill as part of my apprenticeship we used to find all sorts in logs we were cutting, normally small stones, shot gun pellets and nails, but we did find a file once and also when cutting a tree from a housing estate we discovered the kids had been putting fairly large stones in the crotch of the tree which it had grown round.

It wrote off a brand new band mill blade, the boss was not happy that day.

Tom

I would say that has been a round lead ball. Not at all uncommon to find various projectiles from guns in trees from up here. I have a sliced projectile which I believe to be a 6,5mm. Cal. Embedded in one of the legs of our Norwegian oak outdoor table. The one in question above was probably either a slug round fired from a reworked old rifle made into shotgun or indeed an old musket ball fired from a black powder rifle. Both not uncommon in trees here due to strong hunting culture and also due to a lot of war!

by 1870 most nations had converted down from approximnately .58" to .45" for their military rounds and had also adopted the more modern style of bullets than the rifled-muskets Minnie' type which was hollow based. A non jacketed bullet of the type shown could easily have been shot into the stump from 1870 -1920, and even into the modern era.

G

Although I said:-
CHJ":2p2cc2tx said:
....1850 rifle with .458 calibre ball ...
In actual fact the projectile is .458" diameter but is about .75" (20mm) long, has considerable mass.
285grain which is 18.5 g or .65 oz after callibration.

You don't have any Elephants around Nottingham way do you? :mrgreen:
The old double barrel Elephant guns from the British manufacturers used to be .500 or even .600! :shock:

Tony Spear":2dganf6y said:
You don't have any Elephants around Nottingham way do you? :mrgreen:

I've seen one or two around the city center of a weekend evening . . . . . .

But the wood was Redwood, Hud says prob from somewhere Nordic.

A bullet will sometimes flatten, or in the least, distort when hitting/entering a tree, it depends on the angle of strike.Yours seems to be parallel to the grain which tells me something was stuck/pinned on the tree and the tree has grown round it.

At one on our village shows a few years ago (Heckington) there was some 'wood' guys with a lump of trunk on display which, when put through the mill, revealed a shovel, the blade had missed it by millimeters, the complete shovel was still in it, the tree had grown round the shovel, you will find bit's of barbed wire sometimes in the middle of a tree.

Andy

Hi, Hudson

How come you where working for Nottingham Trent University students?

Just intersted as I work there.

Pete

Thats another blog to come.

Basically there are to many students (well more then expected) on the product/furniture design course and the workshop and technicians was far to busy and couldn't cope with all the students projects, having them done in time. So 3 of the students ended up in my shop. Ill hopefully be at the exhibition Tuesday if you wish and are able to say hello. I had 2 students last year also but they was 2 students working on the same project together and it taken about 2 hours. This year 3 students 3 projects and 3 weeks.

Back