Found an interesting thing while cutting through some timber

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
t8hants":n8q9hnlx said:
Can we get one thing right Shrapnel are the round lead balls found inside a Shrapnel shell, like a flying shot-gun cartridge. The pieces of a shell casing thrown out when it bursts are 'fragment' not Shrapnel. The term has been miss-applied.

G

Debatable but maybe technically correct.

I thought that Shrapnel was the name of the person who invented that particular anti-personnel weapon; which also had a case designed to fragment more easily, for that added 'Wow' factor.

Certainly the word has been taken into everyday use, as meaning bits of bomb or shell casing. (Encarta Dictionary, is open ended on this one, so it isn't exactly wrong to call fragments of casing; 'shrapnel'.

Anyway, it's the stuff I used to go and collect in the streets when I was a kid, and I don't ever recall saying, 'I'm gonna look for bomb-case fragments!' Still, if you are an armourer sir, I'll defer to you, but still call it shrapnel! :mrgreen:

Shrapnel is also the term I use for loose change in my pocket; not that there's been much of that about since I joined this Forum and got on the slope! :lol: :lol: :lol:

To return to topic, Hud,
Shooting a tree, is a novel way of killing it, don't you think? 8)
And I think a Copper Bullet would do the trick!

Benchwayze":1hc13vcv said:
......Anyway, it's the stuff I used to go and collect in the streets when I was a kid, and I don't ever recall saying, 'I'm gonna look for bomb-case fragments!' Still, if you are an armourer sir, I'll defer to you, but still call it shrapnel! ...

Yep. that's what we called all the treasures we collected and swaped, mind you I don't think mother called the live AA shells that needed a pedal car to transport or other live rounds we managed to gather with such casual names.
The bigest piece I ever came home with was a bomb tail fin, my dad made me a pond yacht and used it as the keel.

Benchwayze":13m6dgf7 said:
Shooting a tree, is a novel way of killing it, don't you think? 8)

What Hudson has not yet revealed is whether it worked. Did the bullet kill the tree, or did you have to hang, dry, and quartersaw it to finally finish it off?

If we're going to be pedantic about it (and why not eh? we're all friends here :) ), Shrapnel's invention was a hollow cannonball filled with a timed bursting charge and musket balls; the flying shotgun shell was a development by a man called Boxer to adapt the concept for use with rifled field guns rather than the old smooth bore cannons.

Interesting stuff! :D

Vormulac":mjsmb84m said:
If we're going to be pedantic about it (and why not eh? we're all friends here :) ), Shrapnel's invention was a hollow cannonball filled with a timed bursting charge and musket balls; the flying shotgun shell was a development by a man called Boxer to adapt the concept for use with rifled field guns rather than the old smooth bore cannons.

Interesting stuff! :D

Yes indeed. I just was reading Wiki too! :mrgreen:

Although the only thing I know about firearms and other artillery is from which end the projectile emerges.
Explosives... Well that's different; but even that I'd need a refresher!
Can't beat a good bang... :wink:

Vormulac":1garahh0 said:
It's something I looked into many years ago, spurred on oddly enough by watching a film with the actor John Shrapnel in it! LOL!

And I believe he is related; ISTR hearing it mentioned on a chat show. :!:

Back