Forum Users Router Cutters

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, the ones that show you how far you can push the cutter into the collet to get a good grip, but not so far as to "bottom out". Just about visible in this pic here.

Cheers, Alf

Mainly the B+Q Routers that came with the router (1250W PPro) but they are pretty poor.
Gradually replacing with Wealden, Trend Pro and CMT, of which I prefer the CMT.
Recently got a Wealden half inch shank 20mm beading bit but can't use it in the router as the vibration is awful. Can't decide if it is the bit or the cheapie router.

Dougie, I have never had a problem with a Wealden bit - even big ones. I am sure they would change a bad one very quickly if you complained. More likely to be a cheap router problem I feel.

Too many to mention, mostly straight cutters and trimmers. A cheap set of panel raising cutters, (Never again) Slack handfull of spiral cutters, and a few dovetail ones in both formats, 1/2" and 1/4". Most of them are Trend or Wealdon with the exception of a few cheap ones like Performance power.

I use anything and everything. I use high quality bits when the project or series of projects demands it and I use budget bits, when I'll only use them lightly for a few projects. I find that budget bits usually do passable work when new, but lose their edge far more quickly than higher quality bits.

I love Wealden--I think they are the best quality for price cutters in the U.K.
I also am happy with CMT, Trend (but they are overpriced for their quality), Perform, Eagle America, Pricecutter and Blue Tornado.

I also have a number of budget bits that came with various budget routers and ones which were purchased for single projects. They get chucked as soon as they start to lose their edge.

Jason B., and Tim,

I only have a cabinet door set from Blue Tornado, not the set you mention. But I am very happy with their quality, especially at the price. As far as Rutland's claim about Blue Tornado being North America's top seller--I am very dubious. I am American, and never heard of them until Rutland's started selling them. Also, my Dad's been woodworking in America for 50 years, and never heard of them. I have been able to track them down. They are made in Tennessee, and seem to be relative newcomers; for what it's worth. P.S. I know Rutland's just calls them Tornado, but the brand is Blue Tornado.

Brad

Edit: When I first wrote this, Blue Tornado had a website which seemed to indicate that they were made in Tennessee. I've since found out that they are made by Valuemax Tools in China. But they are made to high European and North American standards, unlike some of the budget Chinese ones.

Hi Jason and Tim

Sorry I missed your question earlier.

I have bought a number of the Tornado cutters and, so far, I've found them to be good value and they've done everything I've asked.

Personally, and I stress that's it's a feeling, I would place them just below Wealden in terms of quality.

Cheers
Neil

Freud mainly but Wealden when I need something different and in a rush. Otherwise big sets from eBay for one offs and general use

Ploget

I used to buy cheap one but I've got rid of them all.

Nowadays - Perform (good value), Trend (very good but can be pricey), Freud (very good - usually one-off buys from ebay at reduced prices), CMT (excellent), more recently some Wealden (excellent).

Les

CMT and Trend mainly - apart from a set of Leigh dovetail and finger template (spiral) cutters.

A bit surprised that CMT don't offer more 8mm shank cutters, as I would always prefer them to 1/4 inch shanks.

Most start out with a boxed set of cutters.
I have bought a few sets over the years but always find some cutters that seldom get used.
I have bought individual cutters from Screwfix and the Tornado when on offer at Rutlands recently.
For cutters that may only be used very occasionally you cant beat the 50 cutter boxed set for £28 +p&p from Price Crash shopping channel. Up to 4 different sizes of each cutter section.
The entire set is cheaper than some of the cutters if bought individually from Trend etc.

Wealden - excellent quality and service. Trend if Wealden doesn't have the one I need. Started off with a couple of cheap sets, but even at give away prices were false economy. Had some breaks, poor results. Once used Wealden, saw the difference in cut quality and never gone back.

Unimerco, Leitz, Titman, Freud, Trend, Wealden, CMT and soe industrial stuff from who knows where (probably Colton or CUK). Unimerco and Leitz are high volume production and about the best - and at their prices I'd hope so, too. Titman are always good quality and stand up to being pushed hard. Freud, Trend and CMT are a bit variable in production use and can snap and burn out too readily. Wealden are probably the best budget cutter around (price, quality and service) - I used to use a bunch of their bullnose cutters on a CNC router and they were almost as good as the Titman but at 1/2 to 1/2 the price - so I used to buy three Wealdens instead of one Titman at times. Their Versofix (JKO) cutters are also seriouly good for kitchen worktop joints, etc. and I reckon are better than the Trend or Freud equivalents (tried both, but not the CMT) - again they would stand up to use on the CNC....

Scrit

Woodrat (Clico in various shaft sizes), Wealdon, Trend, CMT, Titman, Jesada, Perform, Tornado, and some nasty B and Q things, oh and a freebie silverline thing - even worse than the b and q.
I also had some bent bits of tin stuck on a shaft, which my dad gave me. They are now burried in a land fill site somewhere in North Yorkshire.

Favourites = Woodrat/Clico
worst = silverline (save up for something half reasonable)

Back