Forum Users Hand Planes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam

Established Member
Reaction score
Right, heres the top 40 UKWorkshop'rs planes*

(*To encourage usefulness and simplify collation and this post I've deleted all obscure planes, woodies, combined several similar types into single listings and simply ignored any at will :shock: . It's simply too time consuming otherwise. If I missed your prize plane off the list - sorry. PM me, with a link to a photo and I'll add it on. Also it's not quite 40 either!)

I've tried to use a mix of pictures from different manufacturers to minimise cases of "Plane inferiority complex"! :)

Well, in #1 Place is a Low Angle Block plane with 28 users (Lie Nielsen #60.5 Pictured )

medium.jpg

In 2nd place is a No 4 Smoother with 24 users (Footprint shown)

38343888.jpg

In 3rd place a Shoulder plane with 21 users (some #3110 in here too). A surprisingly higher place than I'd expected (Lie Nielsen shown)

original.jpg

In 4th Place with 22 users is a Standard Angle Block Plane (Veritas Shown)

medium.jpg

In 5th place (and my personal favourite) is a No 7 Jointer (Lie Nielsen Shown) with 21 users

medium.jpg

In 6th Place a 4.5 Smoother with 20 users (Stanley Shown)

38354494.jpg

In 7th place, is the "combination" "multiplane" plane with 15 users (Clifton Shown)

38343902.jpg

In 8th place is a 5 1/2 jack with 14 users. (Clifton Shown)

38355155.jpg

In 9th place with 13 users is a Bullnose. (Veritas shown)

original.jpg

In 10th place is a 60.5 Low Angle Jack with 11 users. (A very "special" Veritas :wink:)

original.jpg

Just check out the thickness of the blade - see Rob Lee's explanation here:

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.asp? ... page=49588

In 11th place, with 10 users is a #80 Cabinet Scraper. I have to recommend Veritas for this - I can't fault my version at all. (Veritas shown)

38343897.jpg

In 12th place with 8 users is a No 6 Fore Plane (Stanley Shown)

38343893.jpg

In 13th Place is a No. 3 with 7 users (Clifton shown)

38343885.jpg

in 14th place with 7 users is a rebate plane (Record shown)

38343895.jpg

In 15th Place a Scraping Plane (#112, #85, #212 etc) (Veritas Shown)

original.jpg

In 16th place with 6 users is a #140 Rabbet and Block plane (Lie Nielsen Shown)

38370546.jpg

In 17th place is the humble card scraper. (5 users). (Clifton Shown)

38343875.jpg

In 18th Place is the Router plane (6 users) (#71/#271) (Stanley Shown)

38343894.jpg

In 19th Place for the strongest (or mad) is the super heavy No 8 Jointer. (4 users). (Lie Nielsen Shown)

38343898.jpg

In 20th Place is a Side Rabbet Plane (#98/#99#79(Lie Nielsen Shown)

38343873.jpg

In 21st Place is a plough plane with 5 users. (Stanley)

38496306.jpg

In 22nd Place a Carriage Makers Rebate Plane (#10 1/4). Just to keep ALF happy, here's a picture of an old one :roll:

original.jpg

In 23rd place is a No 9, Mitre Plane (LN Shown)

38343900.jpg

In 24th Place with 4 users a scrub plane (Woodie!). At ALF's suggestion I have included a woodie here - apparently, it's the most economical method of acquiring a scrub plane.

38464264.jpg

In 25th Place a Low Angle Smoother (2 users) (Veritas Shown)

38343877.jpg

Right folks you'll have to humour me if you think the numbers are wrong. It was quite haphazard when I collated the results, as only some of the posts specified the model numbers, so some of the planes will no doubt have been incorrectly grouped. Anyway, it's a handy summary hopefully. There is a slight bias towards LN in the pictures as they produce the widest variety of planes, and their pictures were uncluttered (mostly), and easy to find on their website. [Hopefully, at least part remedied after the helpful "nudging" of ALF, who did a quick review before I posted and made some handy suggestions and spotted some typo's and generally helped out with my somewhat lacking knowledge in this area.

Adam

IF YOU WANT TO ADD YOUR PLANES - PLEASE READ THE ORIGINAL INSTRUCTIONS BELOW!!!!

Seen as lots of other topics are covered, I though it might be interested to see which hand planes people are using. Not brand perhaps (or even numbers of each type :roll: , as types e.g. Jointer/Smoother/Block etc. (not including spokeshaves as that will send ALF and Waterhead into overdrive!!). Having built up my collection below - I find it covers me for nearly every situation I come up against, but I'm interested if people are using other hand planes, and find them particularly useful. If you could mark up your favourite as well, (with a reason) that'd be useful. On the same theme is their any plane that doesn't get any use? I think leaving the brand out might be wise as it'll stop this turning into a gloat-fest.

I was trying to steer it away from a gloatfest as much as possible, to allow us to guage which type of planes peopled used, rather than depth of pocket (or generosity of :ho2 ). So NO Stanley/LN/Veritas references if possible!
For me...

#7 Jointer
#6 Fore
#5 Jack
#4.5 Smoother
#60.5 LA Block
#62 LA Jack
#80 Cabinet Scraper
#50 Combination plane
Block Plane
Shoulder Plane
Bullnose Plane
Side Rabbet Planes
Various curved/flat scrapers.

For me, my #7 is without doubt my No 1 used plane. For smoothing, jointing, end grain - it without doubt gets used more than any other plane I use. My least favourite is the #5 Jack. I simply never use it - it doesn't seem to be neither one thing nor the other...

PS: For those with large collections of particularly unusual or obscure planes, the purpose of the post is to assess what the average WW has in their collections, so limiting the number of categories would be handy. For example, listing each type of combination plane isn't really neccasary, - you (we) may know the subtle difference, but for the purpose of this list they are all the same :?

Nice idea Adam

Bench planes:
LN Rabbett block
LN Block
LN #102 apron plane
LN Iron skew plane
LN #3
Record #4
Veritas Bevel up smoother
LN #4.5 (1 stamdard and 1 anniversary)
LN 62 LA Jack
Stanley#5 Jack
LN #5.5
LN #6 Fore
Clifton #7
Veritas LA Jointer (with fence)
LN #9

Specials:
Record #50 combination plane
LN large scraper plane
LN #98 and #99 side rabbet planes
LN #95 bronze edge plane
LN 1/2" shoulder
Veritas Medium shoulder
Veritas Large shoulder
Veritas spokeshave
LN Bronze Beading Tool

5 Philly planes!

What can I say? I love using handplanes, especially LNs :)

This won't take me long!

#4½ Smoother
#102 LA Block
#60½ LA Block
Bogg's spokeshave
Jet 60A

OK - going against the grain with the last two, but that's kinda my point! Jet60A gets used the most for planing, followed by the #60½ LA.
With so few planes, they all get used a fair bit, so I don't really favour one above another in use. One of the LA blocks is a lovely bronze colour though.... :D

Nice Idea foe a post (This is like a free gloat!!!! :lol: )

#4.5
Gordon smoother
BUS
LAS
LAJ
#60 1/2
1 1/4 inch shoulder plane
3/4 inch Shoulder Plane
55 degree block plane
#80 scraper
Large scraper plane
Scrub

These are my "users"- I have one or two others that don't get used much (but look pretty :roll: ). All of these get used fairly regularly.

If I had to make a short list....
#4 1/2
l-a block
any shoulder plane

Philly :D

#5 Jack
220 Block
LA Smoother + HA Blade
LA Jack (2-3/8") + HA Blade
LA Block (ball tailed)
3110 Chisel/Bullnose/Shoulder
050 Combination Plane (inc beading set)
044 Plane
Selection of scrapers

The (fettled and competent for SW) #5 and 220 have been used the most, followed by the beautifully versatile 3110. The LA's are a recent addition and not used in real anger yet - just 'tested' so far (made a shooting board). I know that I can cover nearly all bases with them and the HA blades, but don't know which'll pan out to be the most useful 'default setup', e.g. smoother or jack for shooting. Balltailed block bought with young galoot in mind.

Not in full WW mode probably until New Year as WS extension/LR restoration progressing slowly.

Ike

OK, planes that I have bought over the years, the majority hailing from when planes were planes, so the the flat sole society need not get involved too readily! All of them perform to a high standard as they are and have never been near a feeler gauge... :shock:
Some are in the process of being revamped, i'm making new totes and knobs for them...

No8 Jointer
No 51/2
No5
no 41/2
No 41/2 USA
No 4
No 3
No 10 1/2 rebate smoother
9 1/2 block
60 1/2 block
couple of bullnoses, can't remember the models
778 rebate plane
405 multi plane
apron plane

Just seen the addition referring to 'gloatism' (is that a real word?)so the makers names etc have been removed to protect the innocent!

asleitch":1mk3d175 said:
(not including spokeshaves as that will send ALF and Waterhead into overdrive!!).

:roll: . Well, I couldn't spell it out any clearer could I :D :D :lol: :lol: :wink: :wink:

Philly":1mk3d175 said:
Nice Idea foe a post (This is like a free gloat!!!! Laughing

I was trying to steer it away from a gloatfest as much as possible, to allow us to guage which type of planes peopled used, rather than depth of pocket (or generosity of :ho2 ). So NO Stanley/LN/Veritas references if possible!

I'll round up the results, once a few more people have added their suggestions!

Adam[/i]

Adam
You notice I was very, uh, discrete in my posting? 8)
No name drops and definitely no mention of co##ections,etc...
Philly :D

Handyman ??
#4 Smoother
#5 Jack
#164 LA Smoother
#80 Scraper
#9 1/2 Block
#75 Bullnose
#73 Shoulder
#405 Multiplane

Andy

edit to add favourite which would be the 164 the only "modern" plane I have. Closely followed by the 405 - a pipper to set up but when it is in full flow it is hard to put down.
Am I the only one to admit to owning a handyman?

In order of most used (not that there are many choices :roll: )
#077A Bullnose
... thats it for now :oops:

102 block & a good smoother (LA maybe?) are on the wishlist.

Interested that you use your #7 for smoothing, Adam - food for thought... maybe I don't need a smoother after all.

NeilCFD

Good idea for a post, it's interesting to note what planes people favour from there vast collections of tools that they use on a daily basis and not for admiring on the mantle piece.

My list is as follows:

4 1/2
5/1/2
1/2 Shoulder
60 1/2
22A

I can't really make a choice of which one's I'd shortlist because I've used them all, not very much mind you. The 220A, 4 1/2, 7seems to be the ones that have the most use.

Philly":2yk49ln9 said:
Waka
you mentioned your no.9 twice-that constitutes a gloat! :lol:
Do that again and you off!
The Ref :D

Come on Philly, don't you ever make a typing error :oops: :shock: . Please don't send me off its lonely out here :cry:

By the way I don't even know how to gloat, maybe another thread should be lessons on "how to gloat from the experts". :idea: :idea: :idea:

Now I wonder who could be on that list :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

If it's not too late, my users:
#8 (most-used plane)
#4-1/2
#60-1/2
#60-1/2-R
#9-1/2
#62-1/2 (wonder who makes that one... :wink: )
medium shoulder
large shoulder
bullnose
wooden scrub

If I had to choose one, I'd still keep them all!
Frank D.

Even without explicit disclosure of brands, there's been enough previous gloating for me to identify the exact brands of most of the above thread contributors' tools!!

Anyhow my existing list in order of current frequency of use:

#62.5 jack plane (with low and high angle blade)
#60.5 block plane
Large shoulder plane
#52 plough plane (hey Philly - you forgot that one!)
#5 (and a rubbish one at that)

Seems to handle most of my needs - although could do with a spokeshave at some stage ... and a jointer ... and a ... :wink:

Cheers

Gidon

gidon":2bpk9iuu said:
Even without explicit disclosure of brands, there's been enough previous gloating for me to identify the exact brands of most of the above thread contributors' tools!!
Ironically some of the numbers are lesser gloats if they're from, say, Maine than if they were "common" Stanleys. But I digress... (surprise)

gidon":2bpk9iuu said:
#52 plough plane (hey Philly - you forgot that one!)
#52 is the chute board and plane combo. Please tell me you got the number wrong and not the description...
blink.gif

Anyway, I need some help here. D'you want the planes I have, just the ones I use (all of them, natch. But some more than others) or simply the ones that Average Woodworker might find useful? Or would you rather I don't bother at all 'cos it'll just confuse the issue...

Cheers, Alf

Trying to be helpful, honest.

Phew, there's some mighty fine toolboxes out there :twisted:
well here's my tuppance worth -

no 10
no 8
no 7
no 6 normal blade set up
no 6 HA + reverse microbevel
no 5 1/2
no 5 1/4 USA
no 4 normal blade set up
no 4 HA + reverse microbevel
no 3 { got it for the hell of it as it was $20 in a garage sale :oops: }
no 601/2 block
91/2 block
skew block
then there these
big scraper plane
no 80
no 113 [ me thinks :oops: you know the circular plane ]
small shoulder plane
large shoulder plane
a broken stanley no 90 so I use it as a small chisel plane :oops:
unfinished bronze kit -shoulder plane.

Out of these -what are used most, well it depends on the job in hand.For instance, on the C#ll##t#rs Cabinet from Hell, I used the Big and small scrpaer plane , no 80 scraper and other scrapers an aweful lot.Then its the no 8 & 7 for most jointing, then the no 6's then all of the block planes even my japanese whattcalit plane :oops: for doing a 45deg edging .
The least used well the unfinished bronze shoulder plane of course ! LOL ! :twisted:

and NO I AM NOT A c#ll#ct#r :wink:

c'mon ALf, you may as well list them :wink:

5 #5s
3 #41/2s
10 #........... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Latest posts

Back