forum users favourite tools: planes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi,

My favorite tools are ones I have made my self, like my scraper plane
DSC_0039-1.jpg

it smooths difficult grain with ease.
And my shoulder plane
VBEandshoulder005.jpg

Great for making tenons fit.

Between them they make woodworking much easier and enjoyable.

Pete

Thanks adidat :wink:

The Veritas skew rebate plane

Veritasskewrebate2.jpg

Currently the ultimate fenced, metal, rebate plane because of the skew blade and the cross-grain cutter which can be adjusted in-and -out as well as up-and-down, thereby lining up perfectly with the blade.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

The one for which I have themost affection is the prewar (?) Record No 5 that belonged to my father. Fettled and fitted with a Japanese laminated blade.

Jim

my favourite planes

my bedrock 607 with hock bladset, abit different but an excellent plane a real joy to use

P1010492.jpg

P1010491.jpg

my veritas low angle plane, an excellent product its never let me down yet, and so easy to obtain a good edge.

P1010489.jpg

adidat

encase anyone is wondering where they can get the invisible plane blade from, being a dunce i forgot to put the them in before taking a pic :doh:

adidat

an idea i have been thinking about for some time to get more people joining in and posting photos, also giving others inspirations when it comes to tool making. a chance to show off those special tools

Was the idea to post pictures of favourite tools we have made ...?

This is a small (7 1/2") BU infill smoother. 25 degree bed, with Jarrah infill. 1 3/4" wide blade.

GSII-5.jpg

GalootSmootherII_html_318dbbc4.jpg

Another is this rather large jointer, at 36" in length and carrying a 3" wide and 1/4" thick tapered blade by Eric Anton Berg.

CoopersJointer_html_781967ee.jpg

One needs a smoother to finish, a jointer to joint, and a jack to start ...

Jack in Mesquite with 5/16" thick D2 blade ..

BuildingaJackPlane_html_ma7dc66e.jpg

Regards from Perth

Derek

I remember that one, Jim! You did a fantastic job.

Do you use it much? How does it work?

Regards from Perth

Derek

It started me down the slippery slope of infill planes...for which I am eternally grateful...

The iron was changed out for one of a parallel profile and was the first I also hardened in the kiln from 01 tool steel. So all in all it taught me quite a few techniques which I now use all the time.

Functionally, it is razor sharp...worked beautifully and the added weight was a real advantage.

I tested the setup before I finished the carving...it worked fine...particularly on burrs..

DSC_0139.JPG

Jim

Derek and Jim,

Lovely work from both of you. I do admire people who have the patience, skill and motivation to make their own tools, especially to this standard. I'm afraid I do not. For me metal is horrible dirty scratchy stuff which I will work with when I have to but I would rather be making furniture for which I have pretty much endless patience. If I need to incorporate metal, which some of my stuff does, I will generally get it made by a local metal fabricator of which there are a good many around these parts serving the local yachting community.

Isn't it great that we are all different.

Jim

Does anyone know if you can buy Rosewood ( or similar) handles and knobs for Stanley ( Bailey type) planes in the UK. Thanks Geoff

Viz: ici. They're not that bad either. However, be aware that the bolt angle on the older Stanleys (for instance) is more acute and the Crown set won't necessarily fit. It's unlikely to be an issue for 99% of buyers, but I mention it for completeness.

No plane I've made myself has ever made it to being one of my favourites (I just don't have that sort of skill); my favourite is one of Record's finest: Record #043 Mini Grooving Plane (Read all about it)

record43groover004.JPG

Customised with short fence rods and a lignum vitae fence (courtesy of BugBear), it's kinda the plough plane equivalent of a Mini. Nippy little runabout, and heaps of fun. Try and prise it from my cold, dead hands. Go on, I dares ya.

Hi, Comrade Alf

DSC_0004.jpg

You only have one? and its from England :wink:

DSC_0009.jpg

Pete

Back