forum users favourite tools: chisels

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Stanley 5001's, three were given me by my father in the early 70s the others I got cheap off eBay to complete the set. They sharpen well and stay sharp for quite some time.

Stanley5001a.jpg

Not Lie Nielson's but do have some sentimental value to me as well as being very usable.

Mick

Attachments

• Stanley5001a.jpg
    Stanley5001a.jpg
    252.9 KB · Views: 2,890
That's a hard one, but my Japanese Suminagashi bench chisels are very special; stunning to look at and to use. If I had to choose one chisel that I reach for often and always enjoy using it would be an Iyoroi 18mm fishtail chisel with boxwood handle which, unusually for a Japanese bench chisel with a steel ring on its handle, is ground and sharpened at 25 deg. It pares beautifully, gets into awkward corners and despite its low angle, stands up to being used with a hammer without the edge crumbling.

No pics atthe mement but I will try to post some later.

Jim

This is a bit broad a topic but here we go...

Turning...my Holtzapffel.....

DSC_0106.JPG

Bevel....my very old and restored I.Sorby...

DSC_0029.JPG

and a gorgeous Sorby mortice...with octagonal handle to die for...

DSC_0089.JPG

Jim

Hi,

My hand made fish tail chisel, its really good at cleaning out half blind dovetails.
DSC_0002-1.jpg

The handle is pear wood from my pear tree in the garden.

Pete

Love that fishtail, and I could see it being used a lot... a good test!
I have a lot of chisels from very old Lockwood and a Mathieson, to the Lies and some new Japanese. BUT if you ever fall over the odd Marples blue handle (white plastic washer), grab 'em cheap. They should be very cheap as there are plenty around and most are put off by the nasty plastic. But the blades are really good (mine are vintage 1970 approx) and a quick re-handle makes them look nice too.
To rehandle, just hacksaw through the blue, about 40% up the length (to miss the tang), then smash the remaining plastic away. The socket appearance is really just a shoulder, so turn a new handle, drill the hole for tang, get the handle profile to seemlessly meet the tool shoulder... and make it pretty. Job done.
I do use these ones a lot and they take a great edge and hold it very well. (I will try and get some pics later).

p.s. re the 'not Lie Nielsens' comment regarding the Stanleys. I can get better paring performance off the old Marples than off the A2 Lies. And I cannot quite bring myself to love the LNs, very close but there is just something not 100% and I can't put my finger on it. Maybe 01 would please me better but they weren't available when I got mine.

Well, I'd show you this set of Kiyohisa slicks that I waited 3 years to be built ...

6.jpg

... but you probably don't want to see them, so I won't. Instead I will show you a re-handled and totally reground (with minimal lands) set of Stanley 750s (1/8" through 1") I put together ..

750modified.jpg

.. and a dovetail chisel I made for a friend from a wretched Stanley-with-a-black-plastic-handle ..

ChiselforIan1.jpg

.. and a fishtail (ex-Witherby) ...

Dovetailchisel1.jpg

I also won't show you my Koyamaichi dovetail chisels ..

Stu-chisels2.jpg

:D

Regards from Perth

I-can-give-up-chisels-anytime-Derek

Hi Derek... nothing like a million quids worth of chisels to make the room go quiet :lol: :lol:
Very nice indeed. I will be back though, with a 20 pence Marples restoration asap... maybe a few days.

condeesteso":2oqzvpoo said:
Hi Derek... nothing like a million quids worth of chisels to make the room go quiet :lol: :lol:
Very nice indeed. I will be back though, with a 20 pence Marples restoration asap... maybe a few days.

I know mate! I went out to the workshop....cried a bit...and then snapped myself together and took out the "other" Marples and a hacksaw....and....

Meet you back here with the results eh!?

Jim

Sorry guys ...

Next time I will drag the blades across the workshop floor first, and then open a few cans of paint. :p

... at least you know they are not "garage queens". :lol:

Jim, at least now you know how the rest of us feel after seeing those cutting gauges of yours!

Regards from Perth

Derek

condeesteso":13rrsr2i said:

I'm interested in the Marples restoration. I have a few plastic handled chisels that would benefit from a nice re-handle.

Mick

I jumped on the slippery slope of Japanese chisels some years ago and never looked back

DCP_2237.jpg

DCP_2238.jpg

My original Stanleys, Marples et al I now use when I do any site work

Katellwood

Wow! That's some collection!

Here's the remnants of what was once a considerable hoard of vintage Sheffield chisels. These are my favourites, plus a set of Stanley 5001s from the '70s.

DSC00189.jpg

I-can-give-up-chisels-anytime-Derek

So can I, Derek, I've done it several times but it must be nearly a year since I last bought one.

Here are is a selection.

chisels2.jpg

Everyday. Mainly Japanese. I love the fishtails

chisels1.jpg

I think these Suminagashi steel Nomi are stunning and a joy to use.

chisels4.jpg

Wide multi-flute Iyorois with boxwood handles.

chisels3.jpg

A lovely old cast steel two inch Marples.

chisels8.jpg

Paring. The big one is bigger than I realised when I ordered it from Dick. About two feet long and more than two inches wide. The weight makes it difficullt to sharpen but all that mass and length makes for remarkable sensitivity in use that really belies its size. The one immediately below it is cranked although this is not obvious from the pic; I use it a lot more than I expected to.

chisels5.jpg

Some longer bench chisels. The bottom one is only 1.5 mm wide. Don't use it that often but when you need it nothing else will do.

chisels6.jpg

Not sure what this one is for - no doubt someone will enlighten me. It must have been cheap when I bought it.

..and lastly

chisels7.jpg

My Addis carving chisels. Fantastic quality.

Life is fun on the slope.

Jim

Hi, Chaps

Here are some of my best chisels, not to be taken out side :wink:

Cast steel chisels
DSC_0011.jpg

Cast steel gouges
DSC_0016.jpg

Paring chisels and gouges
DSC_0014.jpg

Cast steel carving tools
DSC_0019.jpg

Crown 1/2" paring chisel set
DSC_0017.jpg

I have another tool roll full of spare chisels, thats in the tool box in the living room :shock:

Pete

Nice collection there, Pete. I have a rather motley collection of cast steel, but not as nice as yours.

Isn't it about time we had some pics of Jimi's collection?

Jim

Latest posts

Back