forum users favourite tools: chisels

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
knowing jim im sure he will have a very modest normal small set of everyday chisels :roll: :roll:

:lol:

adidat

yetloh":2abz3zkz said:
I-can-give-up-chisels-anytime-Derek

So can I, Derek, I've done it several times but it must be nearly a year since I last bought one.

chisels6.jpg

Not sure what this one is for - no doubt someone will enlighten me. It must have been cheap when I bought it.

Life is fun on the slope.

Jim
Probably either
Mori-nomi (harpoon chisel) It has a hook shaped blade designed to remove wood chipping that remain in holes.
Kama-nomi (sickle chisel) It has a blade tip reminiscent of a long double-edged sword and is used for precisely finishing acute angled or orthogonal corners.

My all out favourite (I'm in love with it :roll: ) is the oomi-goomi which is brilliant for removing nose hairs and verrucas.

LuptonM":ulexpn93 said:
Stu-chisels2.jpg

:D

Regards from Perth

Are these http://www.toolsfromjapan.com/store/ind ... 89_490_491 the Japanese ones you have Derek?

When ordering, to get the near zero shoulders, did you select the dovetail profile option or did you have to contact Stu direct to ask if the shoulders could be custom ground (and if so did he charge more?)?

There actually two different sets of Koyamaichi chisels there. The story and details are here: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolReview ... isels.html

Regards from Perth

Derek

"My all out favourite (I'm in love with it ) is the oomi-goomi which is brilliant for removing nose hairs and verrucas."

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think that those Stanley 750's are my favourite. Oh to have a set...

I think Jacob will like this from my Grandfather: My favourite chisel is the one that first springs to hand when I need to do some chiselling

LuptonM":6u7xj492 said:
Stu-chisels2.jpg

:D

Regards from Perth

Are these http://www.toolsfromjapan.com/store/ind ... 89_490_491 the Japanese ones you have Derek?

When ordering, to get the near zero shoulders, did you select the dovetail profile option or did you have to contact Stu direct to ask if the shoulders could be custom ground (and if so did he charge more?)?

There actually two different sets of Koyamaichi chisels there. The story and details are here: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolReview ... isels.html

Regards from Perth

Derek
Maybe they are not available at toolsfromjapan anymore since I can only find long handled umeki nomi- lee valley stock them but I am not sure if they could get them custom ground. Anyway I've emailed the owner of the site to see if they can help me.

I've read your article before and I guess thats why I've been considering buying some for a while now. Seems that you preferred them over the powdered metals as well.

You will probably get a wordy email from Stu. But the point is, he can't advertise these dovetail shaped ones directly on his site for some commercial reason, but you can ask him.

I have a couple of Koyamachi chisels. They are the normal trapezium shape, but with very minimal lands. In fact the smaller sizes have a zero land. These are very usefull for dovetailing too. The chisels are a superb quality, very good steel that's hard and gets crazy sharp.

Jacob":26afnxpt said:
My all out favourite (I'm in love with it :roll: ) is the oomi-goomi which is brilliant for removing nose hairs and verrucas.

Those Japs and their funny language, eh Jacob Butler?

BugBear

bugbear":18og8wxg said:
Jacob":18og8wxg said:

Those Japs and their funny language, eh Jacob Butler?

BugBear
Missed the point BB as usual (such as it is) - those Brit toolies and their funny obsessions with the exotic (usually in parallel with denigration of the familiar).
That oriental freehand honing must be a bit worrying! :lol: Just think of it as ho-ning. :roll:

sometimewoodworker":3hr6qjq4 said:
yetloh":3hr6qjq4 said:

So can I, Derek, I've done it several times but it must be nearly a year since I last bought one.

chisels6.jpg

Not sure what this one is for - no doubt someone will enlighten me. It must have been cheap when I bought it.

Life is fun on the slope.

Jim
Kama-nomi (sickle chisel) It has a blade tip reminiscent of a long double-edged sword and is used for precisely finishing acute angled or orthogonal corners.
Just checked with my students and it is the Kama-nomi. That is the Jamanese kanji on the handel.

It looks like the same principle as the Ray Gonzales hooked skew to me, invaluable for carvers certainly, but the cabinetmakers fishtail skew is possibly a better bet for furniture making.

According to Mr Odate it's a Kama-nomi (sickle chisel)

"used to clean up sharp corners, such as the inside of dovetails and the side groves of plane blocks"

Rod

My favorites are all old Sheffield cast steel...Butcher, Ward, Charles Taylor, etc. I am still waiting for a modern maker to duplicate the characteristics of these chisels.

kygaloot":3cqv4mny said:
My favorites are all old Sheffield cast steel...Butcher, Ward, Charles Taylor, etc. I am still waiting for a modern maker to duplicate the characteristics of these chisels.

Abso-blinkin-lutely!

=D>

Well said!

Jim

Good thread, this. Here's one of mine - a gift from my dad, and purchased at a market in Ripley Yorkshire. K Osborn 1/2" parer, box handle marked W Beautiman (who may well have worked in the north Yorks area, maybe the Dales). It's a stunner and has clearly been well cared for throughout its life. It is used regularly and kept very close to hand.
ch1.jpg

ch2.jpg

ch3.jpg

Attachments

• ch1.jpg
    ch1.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 770
  • ch2.jpg
    ch2.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 770
  • ch3.jpg
    ch3.jpg