Forum Users Bandsaws

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Hi All

Rather like CYC's thread on table saws can users put down some details about their bandsaws including a short appraisal

Cheers :)

Mine @ the mo is an EB BAS250 which although works well is not up to the work I would like to do.

I paid about £170 for it plus £15 for two new blades

Good idea, Bilzee. Not fair though, 'cos I have two to appraise! Okay, oldest first:

Elu 3401 12" throat, 6" depth, 2 speed 0.75 Hp motor. Now sold as the DeWalt something-or-other and pretty much identical as far as I can see. Can't remember how long I've had it, or what I paid, but it's been worked hard. A good workhorse; more of a blunt instrument than a finely tuned tool - no 0.5mm thick resawing here. Lousy fence; it works but it's too easy to loosen the knobs too far and lose the nut, and it's not really much better than a straight edge cramped on to the table. Possibly worse in fact. Other bad point is the tension adjusting bolt, which is just a M6 carriage bolt in an ordinary nut. I've managed to strip out 2? 3?and DeWalt charge a tenner for 'em. :shock: Found a better & cheaper solution, if anyone needs to know feel free to ask. All in all, it works pretty well but I'm not sure I'd put it top of the list of 12" bandsaws these days.

Axminster JBS180L AKA Jet JWBS16 , 16" throat, 10" depth, single speed 1.5Hp motor. Not had it long, cost £910.85 including delivery right into the workshop (special offer :wink: ). Came in a crate, silica gel bag to prevent rust during transport etc and generally a machine the makers seem to want to be well cared for. Provided blade hopeless as usual, so an additional £25 odd on a couple of blades from Dure Edge. Built like a brick privvy, and generally very sound. Changing blades is a bit of a fuss, particularly as the lower guides aren't micro-adjustable like the upper ones. Also you have to wait for it to stop buzzing when you turn it off before you turn it on again, which takes some getting used to. :? Fence very solid, but not adjustable to allow for blade drift although there's a point fence to use instead (not had to use that yet because the Dure Edge blades are so good). However, will resaw to ridiculously fine tolerances and has all the oomph I need. GWW's review was in fact bang on the money about it in all respects. So far I'm very pleased indeed.

Cheers, Alf

Great idea bilzee, it will help me as I'm looking to buy a bandsaw in 2 months :)

Alf I didn't know you got a new bandsaw, I take it it's safe to mention "bandsaw" around you now? :p On another note do you want to write a full review of it to put on the site?

Charley,

I had intended to have done a review of it by now, but those pesky Tuits keep going AWOL. Stay tuned; I'll get there eventually. :oops: Not sure how long you like your reviews to be though? You know me; why use 2 words when 22 will do? :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Who only twitches a little bit at the B-word now :wink:

EB 315, the older Green one. Aspires to mediocrity due to poor lower guide design and a less than robust upper guide arm. With decent blade I have no real complaints. Bought S/H 2 years ago for 150 dabs. Not sure I'd recommend the current 316 model.

Rgds

Noel

I have the EB BAS 250G and it basically does what it says on the tin. 1st thing is throw away the blade that comes with it. I found that once you start to learn how to set it up its starts to perform better. As I am fairly new to woodworking I am still abit impatient over setting up tool and i expect them to work straight out of the box. Lets face it you are never going to use the BAS 250g professionally and it is really only a hobby machine. i think it takes a bit of time and patience to get the best out of this machine.

Nice one bilzee, unfortunately I don't have a bandsaw yet.
I am surprised that the EB bandsaws are not well esteemed, I was planning to get one, I'll have to think again it seems... :roll:

Thanks everyone for the responses so far :)

CYC. Its not that I think my EB250 isn't any good, in fact its fine for what you can expect from a small machine. As jeff says its a hobby machine.

Serious stuff unfortunately needs a serious machine.

cheers

billzee

Hey All,
I use a Record RSBS14 and I am really pleased with it. It most definitely is not a hobby bandsaw! The saw has behaved impecably since buying it (14 months ago) and can't believe how I managed without one.
Not surprisingly, I recommend this bandsaw highly.
Philly

DeWalt DW876,

unimpressed
Blade to tracking is pants and cant adjust easily
fence is pretty pants.
Blades break easily,
Tension knob is pants.

Overall rating of PANTS

Signal

Bilzee,

sorry mate, I may just have a friday afternoon machine but
all said and done it is pants

Signal

Mine's an old industrial Harrison, and I mean old.It is cast iron except for the wheels which are ally.I had to take it to piece to get it down into my workshop(cellar) but it is a fabulous piece of equipment. The man I bought it from had used it for cutting steel panels and the guide bearings were siezed but a new set from APTS fixed that. It cuts straight but i will buy a Dure Edge blade soon, the steel didn't do the one I have much good. It realy is a joy to use.

Quietly whispers Draper. :oops:

Though it is the big 2 wheeled one, with the stand. 7" cut with 13" throat, 2 speed.

Weighs a ton. Fence is ok ish, tracks ok. Got an ex demo with 6 blades at £195 so for the price am quite happy.............but don't tell anyone.

Working on a Startrite sticker for the front :D

Aidan

Perform ccbb or BBC or something
looks like a dewlt from a distance closer inspection more like a screwfix kinzo.
After shimming the top blade gaurd with washers which the guides sit on to get them sitting more central.
Tracks well, runs a 3/4 blade when the manual states 5/8 max with no problems
If I paint it blue and silver could call it a EB

Startrite 301E

Got it last summer on a special at about 550 notes. Built like a tank, 12" throat single speed, cast iron table, heavy steel fence that locks solidly to the table. Metal blade guides; good for tracking accuracy but the lower ones are fiddly to adjust. Cast iron table - heavy and flat. Four supplied blades which are pretty good so still working through them before trying some DureEdge replacements. Accurate, quiet and a joy to use, including resawing. I'm very pleased with it :D

Cheers

RP

Mine's an EB BAS316. I like it mostly. Performs fine, and I use it all the time for resawing hardwoods.
Blade changes are a bit tedious though - you have to take the machine to pieces to complete it properly.
Good machine for the price.

Back