Forum Users Bandsaws

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use a 14" Laguna. I don't think they are available in the UK.

208.jpg

12" resaw capacity, 1/16" to 1" blades, ceramic guides, cast iron wheels, 3 HP / 220 volts.
A beautiful machine to use - like sex, only it lasts longer!

sam :)

Chris,

Yes, it looks real nice. A little bigger than mine I think.

Very interesting, we don't get the Axminster brand over here. I suspect it's made in Italy or Bulgaria (Where mine's made & then rebadged)

Ceramic giudes are Laguna's own make. No moving parts, work well.

It's about the same price as I paid too.
That surprises me, as I always expect to see higher prices in the UK.
Does the 800 GBP ($1,872 Cdn) on that site include VAT or is that added on after? What's your VAT %? Canadians pay VAT (We call it GST @ 7%) Alberta has no sales tax.
My saw, with stand, mobility kit & a $200, 1" resaw blade (112") plus delivery from California to Calgary was just shy of $2,300 Cdn.

Either way Chris, I don't know how I got by without a bandsaw. It was one of my more sensible purchases. Just the ability to resaw 4/4 or 8/4 rough lumber into thinner sizes without shaving 1/2 of it off with the planer, saves all sorts of money.

Regards,
sam :)

Hi Sam,

GST @ 7% - jeepers :shock: . Our equivalent VAT over here is 17.5% - so far :evil: .

My bandsaw, too, is probably my most useful machine.

Cheers,

Trev.

I've got a Jet JWBS20, which re-saws to a smell under 300mm. It's extremely heavy (230kgs.) but very stable. It arrived with a 13amp plug on it, although the delivery guy said I would need to put in a 16 amp fuse(!). Luckily, I'd already wired in a dedicated outlet for it , so a change of plug and off I went. 2HP motor has dealt with everything I've passed through it so far. The electronic brake is a bit worrying when you first hear it - sounds like something has seized. I'm used to it now, though and it works well. The only niggle I have with this saw is the "dust collection" - it doesn't. There's a 100mm outlet just below the blade, but mostly the cabinet just fills up. The table is great, tilts easily and locks firmly. The fence is solid and once locked simply does not move. The re-saw guide takes some getting used to, but works well. Blade tension and tracking adjustment is easy (tracking OK on delivery). I like to take the tension off when I've finished, although I'm not certain that this is necessary, I just feel it'll be kinder on the tyres. Huge cast iron wheels whistle whilst coming up to speed (sounds like an aircraft taking off!), but steady as a rock when cutting. I'd have another one, but don't expect to! :)

Ray.

Hi All,

Jet 18" here. Works fine for both my use and my wife's--she's a wood turner so at times we're shuffling who gets to use it and when :) .

There's a new saw in our near future as I'm moving the shop and she has already told me she's keeping the Jet right next to her two lathes--so I told her, gee, I guess I'll need to buy a new one :D !

Signal":3lm8d9eu said:
DeWalt DW876,

unimpressed
Blade to tracking is pants and cant adjust easily
fence is pretty pants.
Blades break easily,
Tension knob is pants.

Overall rating of PANTS

Signal

Please excuse my ignorance, but what is "PANTS" as used above ?
I assume it is not complimentary :?:

Regards

Soren

Welcome to the forum, Soren. I assume Roger's adequately explained it, but I can't say I'm any the wiser*! :lol:

Cheers, Alf

* No, I don't want explanations. =; :p

So my assumption was correct :wink:

Just never heard that phrase before

Nothing like reigniting an old post. Felt I had to confirm other views of the Dewalt 876. absolutely useless. There is so much movement when pressure is applied to the fence that you can't cut straight. Very difficult to get blades to balance on the wheel properly as well. At least I can gain some comfort in knowing I am not alone on this!

I have the JET JWBS-14.

'er indoors has just come back from the states with a 6" riser kit to talk the resaw capacity up to 12" (well trained!).

I am not sure I will ever get to use that (it only has a 1/2 hp motor!) but the extra headroom will give better access at least and some of the additional height may come in useful.

Has anyone else done this to one of these (Tom?)

Simon.

SVB":70lxhlzi said:
I have the JET JWBS-14.

'er indoors has just come back from the states with a 6" riser kit to talk the resaw capacity up to 12" (well trained!).

I am not sure I will ever get to use that (it only has a 1/2 hp motor!) but the extra headroom will give better access at least and some of the additional height may come in useful.

Has anyone else done this to one of these (Tom?)

Simon.

Simon,
I believe that the JWBS-14 can't be raised. The US models (the JWBS-14CS and the JWBS-14DX) can be raised as they have cast iron bodies, with the top and bottom halves joined by bolts (the riser kit slots into this joint). The body of the JWBS-14 (the European model) is made of steel and is one single piece I believe.

The body of the saw is one of several significant differences between the European and US models of the Jet 14" bandsaw.

Back