Forum Users Bandsaws

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Charnwood W720

Not bad really. Good guides on blades but lower ones difficult to reach. I find the blade wanders when I apply pressure but I suspect that I shouldn't apply so much pressure!!
Fence and mitre guide are pretty good and mitre slot is a good fit (rare on most saws I've seen)
Table is case hardened aluminium, similar to the now-defunct kity.
I use it for resawing 6" stock and cutting anything too tall for the table saw.

I would recommend it.

edit:
Recently modified for 9" depth of cut

Tony

Kity 613. Pretty good machine. Can cut about 7 1/2 deep which it handles easily (ie powerful motor), Blade tracking is pretty easy to adjust. Unuausally for a small saw, this model can handle a 1 inch blade which may be good for resawing altough I use Woodslicer 1/2 blades from Highland Hardware for this purpose because after trying one once, I never looked at any other kind for resaw work.

Like Philly, I have a Record RBS14, and like Philly, I can't fault it. Plenty of oomph, rock-steady fence, well built, terrific table, solid and true adjustments - I'm absolutely chuffed to bits with it. I've just cut loads and loads of tough maple to all sorts of dimensions, and it just kept right on doing whatever I asked of it. Chuffed to bits - cant recommend it enough. A pal of mine has a DeWalt (876? 867?) and wishes he'd never heard of it.
I also have an old NuTool HBS90 benchtop jobby which is still going strong. I use good blades (Record) and it really does the business for the finer stuff. It was my very first bandsaw about 12 years ago, and proved to be money well spent. The motor is as tough as ol' boots, and it cuts to its full capacity with a good blade.

Simon!!!

I'm using my landmark 500th post to beg you, to plead with you:

Order a couple of blades from Dure Edge NOW!!!!

Honestly... :roll:

Cheers, Alf

(500 posts?! How did that happen? So it's official; hind leg removal, donkey, for the use of... :wink: )

Hi all.
I have the Perform CCBB (pic in workshops) and to be honest when I first got the saw I didn`t think it was all that good but once I had junked the blade for a good quality one (same ol story) and spent some time setting up the guides and rollers etc it performs (pun) really well.
One thing most people are unsure of with there band saws is the blade tension, to loose and the blade will wander, to tight and there`s always the fear of trashing the bearings but through trial and error with my old band saw I have found that you need to tighten the blade almost to its limit to get a consitantly good cut, I did on my old saw and it wasn`t the bearings that gave up in the end (it was 18 years old) :D

To my untutored eyes, these two look almost identical in the pictures and specs. And yet, in Charlie's tool poll, one is classed as light duty and t'other as medium duty. Am I missing something?

these two look almost identical in the pictures and specs

I think you are missing something - eg which two do you mean?

(Or am I missing something? Has been known!)

Steve

I've finally done it, I finally bought one. Put me down for a SIP 14" bandsaw. The more I looked the better these seemed and for the price I think has the biggest motor for that size saw. I saw it on E-bay and I thought it was a bargain at £255 with free delivery and got it. Only thing is the workshop isn't anywhere near finished so the supplier has agreed to hold onto it on the same terms for up to a month. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Drew

Unfortunately I can only aspire to the heady delights of bandsaw ownership.

The nearest I get is when SWMBO says "You're not cutting that up in the house!".

:wink:

V.

Using a EB 315, the older green one.

Out of the box like Noely wrote
Aspires to mediocrity due to poor lower guide design and a less than robust upper guide arm.

After spending too much time on it,
- shimming the table,
- adapting the fitting of the lower guides,
- changing the dust port
- making a new T-bar for the mitre fence,
it works fine.

The only addition still in planning is to fit a second dust extraction port under the table.

Hans.

Minimax Professional 32. Years old and not made any more. Minimax don't carry spares for it (had to actually telephone them after emails were ignored. Disgraceful!). That smug-looking bloke in the Minimax ads on the bag of the mags annoys me! :evil:

Machine is basic but very solid and does a splendid job ..... with the aid of the Dure-Edge blades of course!

I hope that Dure-Edge bloke appreciates all the plugs he gets on this forum!

Hi All,

I have a DeWalt 876, one of the first woodworking machines I bought. Big Mistake! (I also agree pretty much with signals evaluation)

Blade tracking / alignment is very difficult (and in my opinion designed by an silly person).
Fence is not that great and cannot be positioned to allow a depth of cut greater than 21cm, with a little thoughtfulness this could have been designed to allow up to 28cm.

The table is made up from two bits of Extruded Aluminium slotted together, as a result the surface is not flat (one half leans down), this leads to also sorts of problems when trying to cut at 90 deg (or any other angle). I took it back to a Dewalt service agent and they never managed to get it right after three table replacements! You can't fix a design flaw.

And the best is the internal safety switch mounted inside the "door". It sticks for awhile before poping out and cutting the current, so there is the potential to open the door and the machine will continue running - very dangerous!

I would strongly not recommend buying this, you will regret it.

DemiFrog

RSBS14 for me. After assembly which really needs two as its heavy, i noticed the blade tensioning was broken so i called Record who sent out another complete unit a couple od days later and took away only the top assembly leaving me with two base cabinets, two sets of blades, fence and tables. Thank you Record.
The unit is very good indeed and it will do me for a long time to come. One of the roller bearings in blade guide seized a couple of months ago and the unit was almost out of its 2 year warranty but when i called Record again they immediately sent me a replacement without question.
I would recommend the it very highly indeed and also record who are most helpful.
Although the RSBS14 is no longer made the replacemnt looks even better and a friend recently bought one. I can tell you it is even better.
10/10 from me for Record.
beejay

Scheppach Basato 3.

Very pleased with it now: I've had the machine for over a year but I assembled in to much of a rush to really set it up. When Carlisle flooded two weeks ago and we had no power for 2 days :roll: I found the time to set it up much better.

Negatives
Found the instructions rubbish - come on Scheppach, how hard can it be?
Wheel alignment miles out.

Positives
Excellent solid fence - although this need shimming to get perfect.
Dual fence scale - works with fence in both "high" and "wide".
Solid table - nice tilt / lock, esp now I've stripped it to remove packing grease which made it stiff.
Nice roller bearing assemblies above and below table.
Blade tension indicator good for the bandsaw novice.
Powerful motor - thoroughly tested :!:
Good stand - stable and heavy enough not to move under heavy work.

Overall
Very pleased now its set up :) I'd recomend it to anyone after a quality saw of the capacity.

Anyone after more info can PM me.

Cheers Sam

Back