forum gets bigger, more and more on-lookers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Neil,
you cannot denounce the good professional for the sins of the few
Couldn't agree more - and I didn't! I wasn't referring to all professionals, I was labouring the point that some amateurs have great skills, and some professionals should hang their heads in shame - ergo, the advice from a professional is not necessarily superior to that of an amateur. Steve makes the point somewhat clearer about being a good guitarist.
Professionals, through experience, will make a risk assessment on any job.
Sorry mate - I can state as an absolute rock solid fact AND from bitter experience that this is not so. Again - some professionals will - but certainly not all.
Have you not seen work carried out by 'professional' tradesmen that looks like a couple of ten year olds have had a go? I have, and I'm not the only one. Blimey Neil - they make TV shows about them!
A professional has to earn his money from his work so he or she will, of necessity, have to carry out the work in the shortest possible time.
That was more or less what I was saying - but again I wasn't saying ALL professionals take that approach. Turning my own table somewhat, I know of occasions where someone has quoted a fixed price on a job, hit unforseen problems, taken longer than expected but still delivered up to scratch. Word of mouth, reputation and professional pride also come into it. On the other hand, some cut every corner they can think of in order to knock a job out as quickly as possible. You know this as well as I do!
And Joe Public sometimes LIKES to pay more for a job! Three quotes - one comes in at ten grand, another at 9,500, and another at 6,000. Obviously - the one at 6,000 can't be any good! Haven't you come across that? I certainly have!
I've also been to parties where people are banging on about their kitchen or dining table, and taken great pride in the inflated price they've paid. "It cost an absolute fortune darling, but it is an heirloom piece. Hand crafted you know. We simply had to have it." There am I, looking at a goodish production job - a 'nice' sycamore table with a 1/4 inch rounded over edge, a few machined flutes in the legs and pocket holes in the unseen framework.
Woodturning is another great example of this. Same woodturner - two bowls in, say, maple. Both turned to the same standard. Put one in a Bond Street gallery and you're talking £200 up. Put the other in a craft fair, and you're talking £20 tops.
I can't be the only one who's come across this, can I?

Steve

Steve
I agree - and I've come across this sort of thing often. The piece is ultimately worth what someone will pay for it.
As for the distinctions being made between pro and amateur - I think it's nonsense. It comes down to the individual person of course. Some pros will take pride in their work and complete to the highest standard even if they've gone over budget. Some amateurs will cut corners. Some pros won't ever remove the saw guard. Some amateurs do... etc etc etc. The only difference is earning from it.
It's been said above: a pro may not know what he's doing and an amateur may be an expert.

Greetings Aragorn, son of Arathorn...

Exactly. That's precisely the point I was trying to make.
The difference is, you did it in six lines!

Steve, son of George

Steve son of George, totally agree with the pro/am bit

Bilzee son of billzee

Steve, Aragorn,

Not sure where your parentage comes into things :wink: , but I believe you've both hit it on the nose. :D

Cheers, Alf

Hi Steve

I was using the word professional as "having or showing the skill of a professional, competent." or "worthy of a professional ".

You had written yours as "engaged in a specified activity as one's main paid occupation".

As a result I completely agree with you.

Boring, isn't it. :wink:

Cheers
Neil

bit confussing chaps as to which "steve" you are refering to

my head hurts :?

Dunno about Neil (Newbie of that ilk, not the other one/ones?) but I was referrring to Steve, son of George.

As for confusing; I'm sure you weren't "Kityuser" when this thread began, what's going on? :? :shock: :roll:

Cheers, Alf

Hi Alf, son of Alf's dad...

Funny you should say that.
People often question my parentage, particularly my father's role in things...

Lord only knows why.

Steve, husband of SWMBO

I am the all changing member (thy chosen one).

um.... not really, I just wanted my login changed

Hi Neil, son of Niel's ma,

Point taken. Ambiguity is a wonderful thing, but on the other hand...

Steve, owner of Steve's deaf cat

Hi Steve, Steve, Steve and Alf

My message was for Stove Grunt.

Glad we got that one sorted out. :wink:

Now Stove, how can you be the husband of SWMBO when that's me :?:

Confused of Nottingham

You've noticed he's been quiet, but when he does contribute ( :roll: ) it's right on the money!

Back