Forstner bits

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
+1 for Festool Zobo bits. They have three interchangeable centres: a regular short pin, a longer pin for drilling at an angle, and a pilot drill bit, to enable one to drill from one side and then the other. Once a hole is started, as already mentioned the centre can be removed to leave a flat-bottomed home. Not cheap, but seem to last and leave an excellent finish.

Andrew

I have some Hss freud bits that are quite good but are imperial. Also at the cheaper end I bought a set of senator bits from Cromwell tools which work ok, but if you are after a quality finish with nice sharp clean edges, I can recommend the famag tools, they’re excellent. Be careful not to spin them too fast and overheat. Alex

Fisch or Colt Maxicut IMHO. I use these on end-grain hardwood (in a lathe) & they work very well. Expensive though. If you want something cheap, that works and is almost disposable, you can get ones on eBay from China. About £5 for a 50mm bit. They work well for the price, but I doubt they'll last.

Back