Forstener Bit recommendations please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eastcoastallsorts

Reaction score
Just Saying Hi as a New member. Hi
I am sorry if this has been bashed out before but can anyone recommend a half decent set of Forstener bits please.
I may be wrong but i firmly believe that any i would buy locally form the usual suspects ie Screwfix etc will all be made from pure chinesium.
Any advice greatfully recieved
Cheers

The answer to your question comes down to how many holes of how many sizes,what material you are drilling in to and how much money do you want to spend.

I've got a couple of the axcaliber ones from axi and they are very good.

Also blagged a set from record power at the Newark show. Great price for a set (£55 show or £65 on RP website), first impressions - not as good as the Axcaliber ones.

I have a few of the axcaliber ones and have found them to be very good. I prefer to buy the sizes I need rather than a set.

fezman":da90sa1f said:
I've got a couple of the axcaliber ones from axi and they are very good.

Also blagged a set from record power at the Newark show. Great price for a set (£55 show or £65 on RP website), first impressions - not as good as the Axcaliber ones.

Thanks, i did initially look at the Record power set. However having recently purchased one of there morticers the chisels supplied work ok ! But the grinding and general finish are a bit pooh. I will look at the Axcaliber ones. Good to know. :D

I'm very impressed with Colt and Fisch bits. They're accurate and razor sharp and are to stay that way a long time. But they do come with a price tag to match. If it's only occasional drilling you need to do, the Axminster Axcaliber bits will do just fine, I think. I at least find they're good value for the money.

I have a set of cheapy Axy bits and I have had problems using the larger diameters. The problem arises because the bottom edge of the skirt is at the same depth as the cutting edge. This means that considerable force is requied to push the skirt into the timber in order for the cutting edge to have something to bite into. This is not a problem with the smaller diameters (under 25mm say). I have overcome the problem by relieving the skirt edge by ¼mm or so. After this treatment they cut like a dream.
I'd be interested to know if more expensive makes take this anomaly into account. It's probably much easier to manufacture them if cutting and skirt edges are at the same depth.

Back