Formica laminate

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tezza1

Established Member
Reaction score
I intend to make a folding MFT very similar to one of my fellow members. The concern I have is that I have a small sheet of formica laminate 2.25mm thick which I am considering fixing to the top surface using an appropriate adhesive ( contact or similar) . My concern is that as I have insufficient laminate for the underneath and would this cause the top to bow slightly. I hope to use either 22 or 18mm thick MDF material for the top and would rather not use any additional bracing underneath which may impact the 22mm dog holes. Welcome any members thoughts on this issue.

Having at times in the past made up laminated MDF displays, counters, and PoS units, I think that if you don't counter-laminate your worktop you will very much need to stiffen it with bracing before supplying the laminate. You can often get aeay with laminating one side providing the structure you are attaching tomis rigid enough. We also used to use a cheap, thin, dark brown "counter laminate" to deal with this sort of problem when the structure wasn't rigid enough, but these days I have no idea where you'd source it

Last edited:
It's called a balance sheet, as in, it 'balances' the stresses imposed on the board from laminating the face side. Without it the MDF will almost certainly warp/cup/etc.

Probably your best bet would be to phone around a few local Joinery shops, Shopfitters etc, you might find a helpful one that would be willing to sell you an offcut, just explain it's to balance a sheet of MDF you plan to laminate, so colour etc isn't important.

Having at times in the past made up laminated MDF displays, counters, and PoS units, I think that if you don't counter-laminate your worktop you will very much need to stiffen it with bracing before supplying the laminate. You can often get aeay with laminating one side providing the structure you are attaching tomis rigid enough. We also used to use a cheap, thin, dark brown "counter laminate" to deal with this sort of problem when the structure wasn't rigid enough, but these days I have no idea where you'd source it
👍I will investigate to see if I can source some cheap laminate. However another member has indicated that maybe a smooth top to a mft may be a disadvantage. Food for thought.

It's called a balance sheet, as in, it 'balances' the stresses imposed on the board from laminating the face side. Without it the MDF will almost certainly warp/cup/etc.

Probably your best bet would be to phone around a few local Joinery shops, Shopfitters etc, you might find a helpful one that would be willing to sell you an offcut, just explain it's to balance a sheet of MDF you plan to laminate, so colour etc isn't important.
👍I will investigate to see if I can source some cheap laminate. However another member has indicated that maybe a smooth top to a mft may be a disadvantage. Food for thought.I learnt something today. Didn't no it was called a balance sheet. If I do decide to attach formica to the top then I will definately fix a balance sheet underneath. Thankyou for the info.

👍I will investigate to see if I can source some cheap laminate. However another member has indicated that maybe a smooth top to a mft may be a disadvantage. Food for thought.
Yes, I looked at this when I built mine - whilst a very smooth top is an advantage on a router table because you want the wood to slide easily, it's a bit of a disadvantage when you need the wood to stay in one place whilst you cut/plane/sand it.

IMO, on an MFT you don't want a surface that's too smooth, a bit of friction between the wood and the table top aids stability - but I know you can get different finishes on laminate so I suppose it depends how smooth/slippery your laminate sheet is

Yes, I looked at this when I built mine - whilst a very smooth top is an advantage on a router table because you want the wood to slide easily, it's a bit of a disadvantage when you need the wood to stay in one place whilst you cut/plane/sand it.

IMO, on an MFT you don't want a surface that's too smooth, a bit of friction between the wood and the table top aids stability - but I know you can get different finishes on laminate so I suppose it depends how smooth/slippery your laminate sheet is
I am as yet undecided which way to go with the idea of a laminate/formica surface. I can see the idea of not wanting a suface to smooth. However this table as the name suggests it must be a multi purpose one. Having a compact workshop with a traditional workbench with vice it can only be accessed from the front. However with a fold down table in my garage ( The car is housed at night) it will allow me to access 3 sides for all manner of tasks other than using the dogs for hopefully precision cuts with either router or tracksaw. Not sure which way as yet, but I really fancy a smooth durable suface which hopefully will be almost dead flat. Thanks to all who offer any thoughts on my dilemma.

Had stuff from Formica Laminate - HPL Black Laminate Sheets - Next Day Delivery | IDS they were helpful and small orders not a prob

I am as yet undecided which way to go with the idea of a laminate/formica surface. I can see the idea of not wanting a suface to smooth. However this table as the name suggests it must be a multi purpose one. Having a compact workshop with a traditional workbench with vice it can only be accessed from the front. However with a fold down table in my garage ( The car is housed at night) it will allow me to access 3 sides for all manner of tasks other than using the dogs for hopefully precision cuts with either router or tracksaw. Not sure which way as yet, but I really fancy a smooth durable suface which hopefully will be almost dead flat. Thanks to all who offer any thoughts on my dilemma.
Have you considered creating different surfaces for the same table?

I'd look at a 'normal' MRMDF topf for the MFT, then take a piece of 12mm ply, attach 4 (threaded) dogs to match the corner holes on the MFT with (I think the dogs take) 8mm countersunk machine screws, then laminate over the top.

Effectively you end up with a 12mm laminated surface with 20mm 'pegs' that will insert into the holes in the MFT. It can stay in place when you fold the table up/down, and can be used when you want a smooth surface without holes, but can be quickly removed when you want to use the MFT surface with a tracksaw etc.

At 2.25mm thick it must be compact grade Formica, or a left over from the sixties, so to achieve perfection, you must compensate the reverse with exactly the same laminate and start with a dead straight board or you are on a hiding to nothing. This includes the effectiveness of the adhesive. BTW IDS are just about the worst company to deal with if you don't want your goods delivered scratched, damaged or otherwise degraded.

.......BTW IDS are just about the worst company to deal with if you don't want your goods delivered scratched, damaged or otherwise degraded.

That is certainly not my experience dealing with IDS....I've been buying materials from them for more than 15 years and have only once had a damaged laminate worktop delivered. I just think you have been unlucky.....

Back