Ford 1.6TDCI turbo fault

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Myfordman

AKA 9Fingers
Reaction score
A female friend has just MOT'd her Focus and the tester let it through but said something needs doing to the turbo but did not make it at all clear what. Last year a similar issue was listed as an advisory.

There is no exhaust noise and she say the car runs OK, uses a bit of oil but not excessive for a 10 year old car.

I can't think of what the problem could be not to be a catastrophic failure and not to have deteriorated in the year since last mot
Has anyone got any ideas on what sort of "soft" turbo faults it might be please.

EGR and DPF are the usual things to cause problems due to emission failure, to me a turbo either works or it doesn't, not sure how it would effect a MOT though

Exactly my feeling. I wonder if the garage is being a bit naughty and taking advantage of a lady driver.

After a life time in the motor trade I fail to understand how you think that a garage who have passed a vehicle for it's mot but have advised the owner of a potential problem can be accused of taking advantage.

The OP said it was listed as an advisory previously and wondered how that reflected on the MOT, not on the morality of the tester

The seals are probably worn. It will be letting oil in to the exhaust system. Too much and the cat/DPF will eventually degrade.
I would look at getting a replacemet turbo, They aren't cheap but they aren't as expensive as people imagine.

Gerry

Back