Forced To Complete Google Survey

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mike,

I wouldn't worry about that list as they are almost certainly your neighbours' wireless networks that you can see. They may be able to see the name of your network as well but if it is secured as you say then they should not be able to gain access unless they are very determined and tech savvy.

One way to avoid the Google miss-type in the future could be to make it your home page. Then if you are on another site and you want to go to Google, just hit the 'Home' button and it will take you straight there without you having to type anything.

HTH

regards

Brian

Brian,

Could you possibly point me to the 'home' button on Chrome? I don't see one on my browser. If I have to keep using the favourites bar to make my way to my preferred search engine, I shall go back to Mozilla, which is much more intuitive to use.

John!

Deejay":218barbb said:
Hello Mike

I think the list contains devices to which you have wireless access, rather than ones which give access to your machine.

Which Home hub do you have?

Cheers

Dave

Thanks guys

Dave I have 2.0

Cheers

Mike

Benchwayze":24bx91xo said:
Could you possibly point me to the 'home' button on Chrome? I don't see one on my browser.

Top left Home in gadgets is one way.

Little arrow just above (top right) collapses or expands the gadgets column.
googleclip.jpg

Attachments

• googleclip.jpg
    googleclip.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 593
Mike - I wouldn't worry so much about the network names of those nearby. Honestly I doubt the average black-hat (hacker is a general term for those who write and modify computer code, cracker or "black hat" is one who breaks into systems) would use such an obvious name. They'd more likely imitate the names of nearby networks to try and trick someone into connecting to them. More likely still they wouldn't do anything of the sort and would other techniques entirely if they wanted to break into a network. Techniques you wouldn't know anything about unless you are really into reading log-files and the likes.
Don't worry about it, is what I'm saying.

As long as you change the administrator password for your router and use the proper security settings you'll have little to worry about on your home network.

brianhabby":35s1s7au said:
Mike,

I wouldn't worry about that list as they are almost certainly your neighbours' wireless networks that you can see. They may be able to see the name of your network as well but if it is secured as you say then they should not be able to gain access unless they are very determined and tech savvy.

One way to avoid the Google miss-type in the future could be to make it your home page. Then if you are on another site and you want to go to Google, just hit the 'Home' button and it will take you straight there without you having to type anything.

HTH

regards

Brian
Just in regards to the part I've bolded in the above quote...
...you may see an option about whether or not to broadcast your router SSID. As tempting as it may be to hide it for security reasons, it's best to broadcast it.

Scenario 1.
Router name OURNETWORK.
Broadcast openly so anyone who wishes to connect (and has the necessary security credentials) can do so.
Any devices (laptops, smartphones and so on) you want to automatically connect wait patiently until they get a signal saying "OURNETWORK" which it then will try to connect to.

Scenario 2.
Router name OURNETWORK.
Network ID (SSID) not broadcast, so anything that wishes to connect to it must figure out that it's there first.
Any devices (laptops, smartphones and so on) you want to automatically connect will periodically call out "Hello? I'm looking for OURNETWORK. Is it out there?" and when it gets a "yes" it'll connect.

Scenario 1 really offers no benefit in security as a determined and capable hacker wouldn't be held back much by not knowing the network name.

Scenario 2 has a bunch of devices going around shouting out your home network name and password and also leaving themselves vulnerable to hackers (or rather, crackers - strictly speaking anyone who writes or modifies computer code is a hacker).
Device: "Hello? I'm looking for OURNETWORK. Is it out there?"
Fake access point: "Yes, this is OURNETWORK. Password please."
Device: "RouterPassword123" (or whatever)
Fake access point: "Access granted."
The fake access point now has access to your device and it's still in your bag/pocket.

In short - Broadcast that SSID.

Morning Mike

If you log in to your hub and go to

Settings / Advanced Settings / Home Network

all the devices which can connect / are connected to your Hub should be listed. Hopefully you will own all of them :)

There's a lot of stuff in the Broadband section at

http://bt.custhelp.com

which you might find useful.

Cheers

Dave

CHJ":2hm2z5qo said:
Benchwayze":2hm2z5qo said:
Could you possibly point me to the 'home' button on Chrome? I don't see one on my browser.

Thanks CH
Obliged.

John :ho2

quote="Deejay Morning Mike

If you log in to your hub and go to

Settings / Advanced Settings / Home Network

all the devices which can connect / are connected to your Hub should be listed. Hopefully you will own all of them :)

There's a lot of stuff in the Broadband section at

http://bt.custhelp.com

which you might find useful.

Cheers

Dave[/quote]

Hi Dave thanks for your reply. I tried to log onto the hub but only got a message stating that it is "Unable to Connect to the Hub" Could a Black Hatter (as Big Shot calls them) be controlling my entry to the hub, or any other part of my laptop?
I then logged onto "BT Broardband Desktop Help" and tried "PC Health Check" but when it tried to load utilities I received the following message:
"Enter a name for your machine
Please fix the following errors before proceeding:
The host name, ********, already Please re-enter a different host name."

I tried the machine name, but as you see that did not work either.

Cheers

Mike

Benchwayze":3a0eqhls said:
CHJ":3a0eqhls said:
Benchwayze":3a0eqhls said:

Thanks CH
Obliged.

John :ho2

John

The other way is to click on the spanner at the top left, choose options and the tick the box mark show home button where it says toolbar.

A little house will then appear in the top right corner of your browser.
Tom

Mike - if your home-hub is one of these: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Bt-homehub.jpg and someone is controlling access to it (unlikely but hey, let's run with it as worst case scenario isn't so bad) all you should need to do to get control back is try a couple of things.
1: click the reset button on the side which will reset the network settings including returning the network name and password to the default settings (written on the sticker on the back of the router).
2: if #1 doesn't get you access to the router, there's a pin button above it marked "reset to defaults" which will reset the administrator password to the default on (also on the sticker on the back) and return the whole router to the state it was in when it was removed from the box (though probably much dustier at a guess). Of course, doing this will wipe out all the router's settings, network name and password and disconnect any of the homehub phone handsets you might have set up (if you do). All would then need setting back up.

Since we know you have access to the internet, I'd probably start with making sure your computer is free from any malware first, and then work on straightening out the router. At this stage I don't know whether your problems accessing the router are due to problems on your computer on on the router.

I don't want you thinking I'm some computer whiz though... I'm just a long-time user who is happy to struggle along fixing my own machine and who knows where to get quality help. ;)

Back