for those with a VB or better lathe...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Makes you think that we may be a bit spoiled with all the gear we have.
Not only do I admire the guys skill with very basic tools but that he can get up and walk after turning like that all day.
Regards
John

Now that's a really smart and skilled artist.
It's the most efficient use of timber I have seen in years !
I think I will have to study this video.
Thanks clogs

The yanks used to sell a tool called Ringmaster to do just this. It seems to work judging by the you tube videos but with a lot more setting up than these guys do ! :)

The yanks used to sell a tool called Ringmaster to do just this. It seems to work judging by the you tube videos but with a lot more setting up than these guys do ! :)
It was the Australians, The Leadbetter ringtool or something like that.
And modern stuff like Super Glue , thats progress

Recipio
Mike Darlow in his book Woodturning Techniques talks about it. Its called the Leady Ringcutter and was developed by Bruce Leadbeatter of Sydney. There may have been similar developed in the USA. Come to think of it I seem to remember Shopsmith having something similar.
As they say there is nothing new. Probably being doing this in the Indian subcontinent since before the English got there

just to add I have enough trouble standing up after neeling....
let alone sit crossed leggedall day.....
are we missing something....
just to add I often watch thos e kinds vids and it's suprising everything is done on the floor....

I watched a couple of guy's rebuilding an Hydraulic cylinder on the floor of a very dirty workshop....
the fim I worked for insisted that our cylinders were built in a clean room....hahaha...
I'm sure our's lasted longer.....lol.....

You can still get the ring cutter tool here in Australia but of course its now made in China.
Ringcutter With Post

I actually have a Leady lathe made by Bruce Leadbetter. He was a woodwork teacher and developed the lathe for schools. When you got a lathe from him you got a couple of hours with him as he showed you how it all worked. Learned a fair bit that afternoon. He also came up with a few other handy jigs and tools.
Regards
John

The American tool has an integrated motor and is in effect a fully functional lathe. The Leadbetter tool seems to be a lathe attachment. ?
They occasionally come up for sale on #bay US.

Orraloon
thanks for the link....
BUT is there anything ur way to hollow v/large bowl blanks.....other than the two US models....
I'm talking tree roots and large bits of wood around the 1 ton mark.....
seems a shame to hollow out a large bowl for most it to all go to shavings and dust.....
been thinking of a home made affair but looking more idea's...
ta....

Orraloon
thanks for the link....
BUT is there anything ur way to hollow v/large bowl blanks.....other than the two US models....
I'm talking tree roots and large bits of wood around the 1 ton mark.....
seems a shame to hollow out a large bowl for most it to all go to shavings and dust.....
been thinking of a home made affair but looking more idea's...
ta....
Few of us could mount a 1 ton blank but there are bowl coring tools for more modest lumps of wood. Woodcut and Mcnaughton spring to mind and there may be others. Cant saw I have ever seriously looked into really large stuff.
Regards
John

This reminds me of a video I saw of bowls being made from a jig in a bandsaw set at 45°, then reconstituted in reverse to put the discs together as a bowl, then turned to finish the job. I found the link if anyone fancied a go 😁

Back