?? for the Scotts i think and one for the Irish

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlimShavings

Established Member
Reaction score
What is the rolling of the stones and throwing of the bones or pole. And what is Suzie dancing in the middle of it for??? Heard it on the radio (PBS) this morning but catch what he was singin about. Nice tune :)

For you Irish. Word over here is your makin money hand over fist. Maybe lookin for some help over there ?? :)

Slim, y'all bin distillin' cactus agin? WHAT are you on about? Us Celts want to know a) What are we missing? b) Is it something we can object to? c) Can we beat the English at it?

Well I have been drinkin some blackberry wine mixed with a little of the local grain . ANd I been workin a bunch of hours lately. But i swear I heard it this morning. Was something about a curse. Just tryin to bone up on my ancestry. Been havin a hankerin to come to the land of my ancestors lately. :) :)

The only throwing of bones and shaking of stones that I can think of relates to casting runes and other such druidic practices.

I thought those activites died out when the meterological office got its new computer graphics for weather forecasting... but I might easily be wrong :D .

Gill

Ok here ya go
http://www.wgbh.org/pages/pri/spirit/shows/067play.html

Look over the list. The one I'm talkin about is
The Rolling of the Stone
Traditional Scottish
The Young Tradition
THE YOUNG TRADITION - GALLERIES

We also have this on saturday nights.
http://www.npr.org/programs/thistle/

SO guess I aint' been drinkin ttoooo muks

att1421931xh.gif

Ahhhh... folk music :D :D :D .

It's not a song I'm familiar with (perhaps Dave L might be the best bet?) but in the context you've described it's entirely possible that my original suggestion might not be too far off the mark :) . It sounds like some sort of traditional activity, possibly a corruption of druidic or shamanic rituals, which might be used light heartedly at parties to help a girl find her True Love. It might be a bit like peeling an apple at Hallowe'en and casting the peel over your shoulder so that it falls in the shape of the intial of your own True Love. But I've never heard the song, so I'm just speculating.

What did you make of the Waterson/Carthy song? I reckon they're top notch singers and the next generation (Eliza Carthy) is a very precious talent.

Gill

What did you make of the Waterson/Carthy song? I reckon they're top notch singers and the next generation (Eliza Carthy) is a very precious talent.

Gill

Gill I like it all pretyy much. It has an energy that gets in you. Maybe its cause of my heritage. I pretty much have to buy the cheiftans over here but I search out these programs and tape them.
BTW I seem to remeber her talkingabout the girlfreind boyfreind as you talked about. hopefully we'll see

Dave
PS Are you one of them "nightowl woodwrkers" suprised to see anybody up this late :)

Ahhh!!!! NOW I understand! At work at present, so cannot access sound.... Soon as I get home I'll get Number One child to suss out wot you are listening to. As she is a Moya Brennan/Enya /Altan/Ethnomusicology geek, watch this space Slim - or pm me, I'll pass on queries to the guru.

Cheers from the land that invented 'The Water of Life' - third run of course!

Sam

Slim, I've now returned to the lair; Number One child recognized it and "will ask someone who should know" on your behalf. Details as I get 'em. Sounded remarkably like Maddy Prior, but the credits on the play list were unfamiliar. Ironically, given the original location of the ballad, your researcher's nickname is "Nessie"!!!! (Vanessa).

Sam

More speculation on my part - The BBC has been heavily involved with promoting "The Young Tradition" which is a continuing project to encourage talented young folk musicians. These musicians often play collectively under the banner of "The Young Tradition". Rose Kemp is one of these up-and-coming performers and, since she is the daughter of Rick Kemp and Maddie Prior, it wouldn't surprise me at all if the band had a singer who sounded like Maddie Prior.

Gill

Slim, I've now returned to the lair; Number One child recognized it and "will ask someone who should know" on your behalf. Details as I get 'em. Sounded remarkably like Maddy Prior, but the credits on the play list were unfamiliar. Ironically, given the original location of the ballad, your researcher's nickname is "Nessie"!!!! (Vanessa).

Sam

I'm looking forward to her findings. Tell the Lass :) Vanessa I said Thankyou. Looks like I'm going to be getting into the music more that I planned.

Looks like them Irish are making some money. No one responded to that part. Keep it a secret :)

Slim,

I don't know about making money hand over fist - but we're spending it at some rate!
the following is irish cost of living comapred to an EU average of 100:
1995: 98.9
1996: 102.3
1997: 106.1
1998: 104.4
1999: 108.1
2000: 111.6
2001: 116
2002: 122.4
2003: 127 (p)
The trend has continued since these stats were done. Also average house prices have gone from 75,169 in Mar 1996 to 256,690 in Mar 2005.

Your welcome to come and help out, but don't expect too much bang for your buck - of course if you are in the construction trade then you might be on a winner, 50% of all houses in the country were built in the last 10 years, and just look at how much they are selling for.

Les

Looks like you Irish are following right along with the "murican " cost. Wages here are going down. Anyhow I was wondering. A guy I know just came back from a trip over there. He was Welsh and German but they told him he could hang out anyway :) Brought a lot of pictures back with him.

Back