For stevebuk... Hegner/Axminster

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scrollerman

Established Member
Reaction score
stevebuk":1gne416n said:
yes you can use the hegner knob with the axminster, i did when i owned one..

Hi Steve. I've quoted from a recent post of yours as I didn't want to detract from that thread.

Did you mean you used the Hegner knob when you owned an Axminster or Hegner ?
The reason I ask is I know you like Delta's but have not heard you mention owning an Axminster.
I have been following your posts regarding the Hegner and couldn't help but notice you were not totally happy.
I can only assume you mean you no longer own the Hegner so may I ask, if it is indeed the Hegner, why you got shot of it ?

hi
i once owned an axminster awfs18, but not for long... i bought the hegner quick release knob for it ..

I love the delta's and would swap my hegner any day for one, ( i have 2 at the moment) the hegner seems very under powered to me, the delta is a cutting aggressive machine with a forward cutting motion and just what i need to get me through the thick wood i use, the hegner manages it but at a much slower pace, the delta also has the heavy body and superb steel table, not like the flimsy very narrow table on the hegner.

I dont want to completely slate the hegner as it cuts straight and true and is a very good machine, its probably the best your money will buy in the uk, but definately not the best saw in the world by any means..

I may also be selling one of the delta's shortly, just need some bits for it, (ahem, Martin..) :wink:

stevebuk":28atdt7q said:
hi
i once owned an axminster awfs18, but not for long... i bought the hegner quick release knob for it ..

I love the delta's and would swap my hegner any day for one, ( i have 2 at the moment) the hegner seems very under powered to me, the delta is a cutting aggressive machine with a forward cutting motion and just what i need to get me through the thick wood i use, the hegner manages it but at a much slower pace, the delta also has the heavy body and superb steel table, not like the flimsy very narrow table on the hegner.

I dont want to completely slate the hegner as it cuts straight and true and is a very good machine, its probably the best your money will buy in the uk, but definately not the best saw in the world by any means..

I may also be selling one of the delta's shortly, just need some bits for it, (ahem, Martin..) :wink:

Hi Steve.
Like you, I am a Delta user as I use a Delta Q3 and also have another Q3 as a back-up plus various spares picked up along the way to maintain longevity !
I bought my first Q3 years ago and loved it so much I quickly bought another 2nd hand not long after as Delta no longer sold them in the UK at that time.
My only fear is that I come to the point where I use up all my options of spare machine and spares...Arrgghhh !!
I have however, made preparations for such a calamity with a local mechanical engineer but I won't go into them here as that's another subject.

I know what you mean regarding the Hegner and agree totally but hey, who knows, maybe Delta and DeWalt will someday be available once again in the UK. We can only dream !

I also own a delta q3 it's the best saw I have owned the person I bought it from sold it so he could buy a hegner but when he got the hegner he was disappointed with it I don't think you can beat the deltas quickset clamping system I ve had it for about 5years now and when it does eventually pack up i would try to find another one but they are getting hard to find now I've seen hegners but never been tempted to buy one I am sure they are very good machines but very over priced I think

I was dissapointed with the hegner when I bought mine. The table is to small and there is not enough speed. I was fortunate that when it went back to have a part replaced they increased the speed for me to 1650, which has made a big difference. It is the best saw available as new in the UK. I also have an original Dewalt 788 mark 1 that was made in Canada and for me the finest saw in the world. Quick blade change, variable speed, large solid cast iron table. I have not used it for a while as a bearing is going and I am dreading having to take the cover off to have a look at the arm as I am completely useless at anything mechanical but I will have to take that step one day soon.

Geoff, I could be in south Wales in the next couple of months. Thinking of visiting my sister in Hereford then having a couple of days in Wales. I'll chuck a toolbox in the back of the car. :)

Chippygeoff":1dxgh6r3 said:
I also have an original Dewalt 788 mark 1 that was made in Canada and for me the finest saw in the world. Quick blade change, variable speed, large solid cast iron table. I have not used it for a while as a bearing is going and I am dreading having to take the cover off to have a look at the arm as I am completely useless at anything mechanical but I will have to take that step one day soon.

martinka":1dxgh6r3 said:
Geoff, I could be in south Wales in the next couple of months. Thinking of visiting my sister in Hereford then having a couple of days in Wales. I'll chuck a toolbox in the back of the car. :)

Martin.....Here's hoping you can fix it for Geoff. =D>

Hey Martin. That would be great. I have always endorsed the fact that you are the master when it comes to problems like this and it would be nice if you were to visit Wales. It is probably something very simple. I have loads of tools but not sure if something special is needed to remove a bearing.

Geoff, I wish I had the same confidence in myself that you appear to have in me. :mrgreen:

By the way, has anyone got an exploded diagram of the Excalibur MKI, or know where I can download one ?

While I was looking for a manual, I found a Clarke scroll saw for sale for £195. Can't beat trying it on. :wink:

Back from our Yorkshire break, I thought the wife had posted said bits Martin, apparently not, she will be in the dog house then, should be with you early next week..

Back