For Steve (Kityuser)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

HI Steve

Finally got around to sorting the poor dust extraction on the 419 - lets a very good saw down. Works really well now with almost no dust escaping at all.

This is what I did:

I gut a peice of ply to fit the bottom of the saw cabinet and fitted a 4" coupling to it.
I made a T piece from some very cheap pipe fitting I picked up in B&Q. I cut the curves out using a little £10 grinder (like a cheap Dremel) fitted with a 20mm cutting disk. I glued this together using a hot melt glue gun

Outlet_fitting.jpg

Outlet.jpg

Extractor_attached.jpg

I brought a 'Y' piece for the back of the cabinet which attached to my 'T'piece and cut a piece of 3/4" ply to seal pone side of it. I sanded the disk at an angle around it's periphery to allow me to tap it into the 'Y' and to stop it sliding in under suction.

Ply_for_crown.jpg

Y-Piece.jpg

I drilled a hole in this to accept some pipe from the crown guard dust port.

Crown.jpg

I sealed the rear slot for the dust outlet to move in with a piece of card and taped over the holes in the front.

Fianlly I fitted small piece of pipe from the other Y piece exit to a reducer attached to the rear dust port on the saw.

Well worth doing in my opinion

Tony, nice job but, why have you a straight run on each side of the T piece? Indeed, why use a T below the saw? With the hose connected straight to the ply in the base of the saw and a Y piece for the crown guard between the saw and the nearest blastgate it should work even better, especially without using a T piece. That's the way I did mine. Perhaps I'm missing something. Wouldn't be the first time............

Noel

Hi Noel

Thanks

I don't have any piping or blast gates and so all three take-offs needed to connect to the one pipe.

I now have 3 take off points and it works so well that after ripping a sheet of ply into 100mm strips, there was almost no dust on the saw table or floor - serious improvement :D

OK Tony, in that case it's understandable. Best thing about it is that it works.

Noel

hi peeps,
i got the 419 ,and i am about to buy a dust extractor
what one are using and is it powerful enough for all your needs
cheerz

H iBobby

I am using the Charnwood W690 which is 1hp. I bought this simply because I live 7 miles from their shop - I like to see and touch before buying.

I only connect to one machine at a time and on all of them it works great.

I wouldn't use it for a set-up with permanent pipe and blast gates though.

I don't find it a pain to swap between machines as I have the take-off from the kity facing forward and a piece of pipe running form the back of the router table to level with the front and so that is really easy to connect to as well.
All other kit has access point at side rather than rear

I admire the effort you have made. It is a shame that you had to compensate for a seeming lack of proper engineering in the first place.
Jake

Jake":3cscx9cl said:
I admire the effort you have made. It is a shame that you had to compensate for a seeming lack of proper engineering in the first place.
Jake

I agree completely Jake. However, the saw itself is absolutely fabulous and the sliding table a dream - wouldn't change it for anything other than a straight swop for a Delta Unisaw :lol:

hi peeps
cheers tony for reply.
i am sure i got a dust port at the back of my 419 t/s. logically i thought about a split hose between the blade guard , and the port on the back of the saw.
anyway i needed a plastic handwheel for the rise and fall has the old one had worn, luckily my saw was still under warranty and replaced free of charge , but this part being considered a consumable part of the saw in future, i could expect to pay around 25 quid and a whole lot of trouble finding one ,especially if out of warranty.
so i have decided to take my brand spanking new handwheel to my local engineering shop to be copied has a non -consumable item hopefully saving me a buck or two in the future.

cheers tony

sorry for the very LONG time to respond.

I`m currently suffering the same problem, good saw shame about the piles of sawdust I have to stand in :shock:

at the moment I`m struggling along with a wickes wet/dry vacuum cleaner that is`nt really up to the job.

plans are:
try to replicate something like you`ve done, i.e. some bottom extraction as well as the back port, and also add a crown guard port as well.

that along with a zero tolerance throat plate should sort out all my 419 niggles.

suppose I`ll have to try to get me another chip extractor and buy the filter for dust extraction. 8)

cheers again

steve

Latest posts

Back