For sale ....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Philly":1kyig203 said:
Let us know how you get on
Well the Jet 60A is coming tomorrow afterall, so I'll brag about it then :lol:
As for the DW733, it seems very nice, although I'm getting a wicked snipe at both ends of the boards. I've got the in/out feed tables level with the base (they drop below the base where it's hinged right?) so I'm not sure what else could be the problem. If it's not the in and outfeed tables, any other ideas :?:

Love that fast feed rate though - I'll save a load of time on the HMS260

Hi Aragorn

Aragorn":bwyirijj said:
Love that fast feed rate though - I'll save a load of time on the HMS260

The DW733S has a 5m and 7m speed feed. If it is the same on the DW733 then drop it down to 5m. That should help.

Cheers
Neil

Newbie_Neil":1v0tve5n said:
The DW733S has a 5m and 7m speed feed. If it is the same on the DW733 then drop it down to 5m. That should help.

The DW733 doesn't seem to have an adjustable feed rate (unless I'm being blind). If not, then what else might it be... Surely this machine can thickness without snipe!

Hi Aragorn

Every report/posting I've read has rated the machine as excellent.

The reason I mentioned the speed was that a DW sales engineer at a show told me to run the DW733S at 5m for best results.

I would send a pm to Philly and frank on this mb. They both have the DW733 and both swear by them.

Cheers
Neil

Ahh Neil, it was the table size I was looking at then, 200 vs 230mm - the actual cutter size is 150mm vs 200mm - I thought that 30mm seemed a bit steep £££ :shock: Although 50mm isn't that much better. A 50% bigger motor should be advertised a bit more prominently though I think! :p Hmm wonder if I could fit a seperate Jet jointer and DW733 into my tiny workshop. :shock: Oh well, 'Tis not fair :cry:

Adam

Hi Aragorn
Try locking the cutter block with the lever,on the last cut at least.I was getting snipe on the DW but that cured it.

jaymar":15bwjckb said:
Hi Aragorn
Try locking the cutter block with the lever,on the last cut at least.I was getting snipe on the DW but that cured it.

Thanks Jaymar. That's helped a lot. Still some snipe but not so bad.
The simple things often work - like reading the instructions.... :oops:

aragorn i have just put a rule on the tables , the ends of the tables are level with the middle table where they fold up its just a bit lower i havent had any snipe (yet) i hope you can understand this .adjust them and see if it works

frank

Thanks Frank
That's how mine are set up too. It looked a bit weird having the tables below the base table were they join (you know what I mean), but it makes sense that that this wouldn't produce snipe. Locking the cutter head seems to help. Do you do this after each depth adjustment??

Hey All,
The only times I get a bit of snipe with the Dewalt are
1: when running thru short pieces. I.e. 12 inches or so.
2: when running big boards thru and not supporting these properly at the beginning and end of the cut.
As long as you use the cutterhead lock and support the work properly you shouldn't be having any problems.
let us know how you do,
regards,
Philly

DW733
Well - I've been running boards through most of the day, and I've had virtually no snipe. I haven't changed anything, so I'll put that down to the wood-goblins.

Jet 60A

This arrived today. After hoisting it up onto my shoulders and strolling down the garden to the workshop, I've got it all set up and made a few passes. It's just fantastic. The boards of black walnut are totally smooth and true, and the machine is just so solid.
I really recommend these Jet planers to any of you who have the space.

Aragorn":3mux9hai said:

Jet 60A
[/color]
This arrived today. After hoisting it up onto my shoulders and strolling down the garden to the workshop, I've got it all set up and made a few passes. It's just fantastic. The boards of black walnut are totally smooth and true, and the machine is just so solid.
I really recommend these Jet planers to any of you who have the space.

Thats good to hear :)

Back