Quantcast

For sale rules

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

sploo

Somewhat extinguished member
Reaction score
Wow!!!
I have never seen so much squabbling and back biting in my life !
I am new to the forum and enjoy reading and learning from the many interesting contributions from the talented and experienced members.
I don’t have a lot to say as I am hear to learn but the “ you have to post x amount of comments “ seems a little strange to me.
it appears to me that if I would like a chance to buy or sell on the forum then unless I have a constructive comment to make ( and as a newbie who is here to learn I don’t ) I should just bombard the forum with meaningless comments to get my post count up to the required level.
I understand the forum wants to protect its members but I assume the vast majority of them are adults whom can be held responsible for their own decisions on whether they feel a purchase/transaction is above board and safe.
Whilst I'm very much for the lower end of regulation, the problem is that you're looking at this from the point of view of a rational and constructive poster. Unfortunately, forums that don't put such controls in place tend to get spammed with unwanted shilling posts, because there are sadly a lot of "non-constructive" people out there.

BTW: welcome to the forum!

Blister

Established Member
Reaction score
Another point I find strange on this forum , I will give just one example

I noticed a Hammer combination machine for sale on another platform at a very good price , Yes I had the money to buy it but NO I did not have the room for the machine , Thinking I would let members on here know about the machine I posted a link and did state " I AM NOT SELLING THE MACHINE " its just a heads up

Posted the link , and within a very short time the post was deleted , Strange very strange , Maybe I am missing somthing ,so one forum member letting other forum members know of a bargain is against the forum rules ?

ScaredyCat

Established Member
Reaction score
Depends, do we want the for sale section filling up with "I found this bargain" posts?

I mean, I don't, but that's just me. What do others want?

Blister

Established Member
Reaction score
I would welcome them as it may be somthing I need and a saving to boot

AES

Established Member
Reaction score
IMO, it's a question of striking that "fine balance" between genuinely trying to help members (in this case, to source bargains) OR seeing the For Sale columns full of "spammers" using our Forum's free service to promote their own sales of possibly all sorts useless junk.

Yeah, it's true that nobody is forced to read anything here, but this discussion has been rambling on for yonks now, and as has already been said, more than once some "ire" has been raised in some members.

As said, IMO it's always a question of striking that fine balance, and as is said so often, "you can't please all the people all of the time".

Personally I think that we have achieved at least a "reasonable" balance and at least MOST members seem to be more or less satisfied with what we have now. I am anyway.

Especially some new members may well find some features of the rules "strange" or unsatisfactory. This is NOT a dig at you darrenp - welcome BTW, but I doubt that anyone, new member or not, will now spot anything that really does adversely affect what is now pretty well established.

And I'm NOT saying that new ideas aren't welcome either - most people here are pretty open-minded I think. But having been here for a while now I think that in general we're pretty much stuck with what we have now, and although "anomalies" do get pointed out from time to time, overall, the For Sale does seem to function pretty well - "as well as can be expected" perhaps? :)

Last edited:

Darrenp

Reaction score
Whilst I'm very much for the lower end of regulation, the problem is that you're looking at this from the point of view of a rational and constructive poster. Unfortunately, forums that don't put such controls in place tend to get spammed with unwanted shilling posts, because there are sadly a lot of "non-constructive" people out there.

BTW: welcome to the forum!
Thank you 👍

MikeK

Staff member
Reaction score
@Darrenp, welcome to the UKW! Now that you've broken through the 3-post barrier, you may now send and receive private messages (called Conversations in XenForo) as well as create new threads in the Wanted forum.

When you reach the 25-post threshold, hopefully not all in this thread, you will be able to create new threads in the For Sale forum. However, you can reply to existing threads in the For Sale forum.

Darrenp

Reaction score
@Darrenp, welcome to the UKW! Now that you've broken through the 3-post barrier, you may now send and receive private messages (called Conversations in XenForo) as well as create new threads in the Wanted forum.

When you reach the 25-post threshold, hopefully not all in this thread, you will be able to create new threads in the For Sale forum. However, you can reply to existing threads in the For Sale forum.
Thank you 👍

Benchwayze

Established Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Crete has many memories for me. Heraklion was a fantastic run ashore in 1960. I don't remember much tea and cakes however. Lol!

craigsalisbury

Creator of mess
Reaction score
"Members may not submit items currently offered on other public sites such as eBay"

This may have been covered..but im too lazy to read all 13 pages.

Is this basically saying if you put something in the for sale section here you cant also list it on fleabay/gumtree? if so thats whats the reasoning behind it? a completely closed system? limiting someones chance to offer?

rafezetter

Troll Hunter
Reaction score
Depends, do we want the for sale section filling up with "I found this bargain" posts?

I mean, I don't, but that's just me. What do others want?
Here's a radical idea - keep the section of "for sale" where forum members with the right amount of posts can use, maybe increase the threshold a tad, 35ish to dissuade serial "for sale" posters who seem to ONLY use that section (I often check if I don't recognise a name and have found several of these members who otherwise contrubute nothing the forum), and open a new one for "everything else", in other words a "creche" to keep all the unruly kids where we can keep an eye on them and the well behaved ones (such as that goes :rolleyes:) can play without having some spammer yelling "look at me" every 5 seconds.

The creche could also be where people post the items of interest being sold elsewhere; let's face it, those who frequent the for sale section regularly will still look at the "everything else" section often enough, and it's bascially the same siutation as word of mouth down the pub telling someone else about a deal they heard of.

Crazy, right?

Oh and the moderators can then walk away from the creche section mostly and let them get on with it - only possible issue I see is the amount of trash that might build up, so maybe once a month the whole lot gets emptied, any legit new member can repost it as they will see it's not there anymore, thus slowly adding to thier legit count, if they haven't already, allowing them to move out of the creche, and the spammers won't as they won't be monitoring the gazzillion sites they spam on.

I understand the WHY of not allowing 3rd party sales posts, but the reality is forums are about helping each other out, and to my mind finding that bargain deal (that truly IS a bargain) and sharing it so one of us lot gets the benefit is a natural extension of that - the "saw this and thought of you" principle, or is that just crazy talk?

As far as the "advertise here but nowehere else" situation, to be fair I think a two week ban on allowing it elsewhere is fair - in most cases it could be held true that no-one is really in that much of a rush to sell that they need the money IMMEDIATELY, so two weeks exclusivity isn't going to hurt anyone, and if it does, "straight to ebay, do not pass the forum etc etc."

If it's not sold in two weeks the post should then be ammended stating at the top that it's now also listed elsewhere if true, and a link as proof so ppl don't abuse it in a "hurry there's only 1" left BS tactic so often used now - THAT is a rule that should be mandatory as well as marking an item SOLD, which is one of my real gripes about how the for sale section is policed - having a "pending" tag would also be helpful (as per facebook marketplaces)

A simple "pending / ebay" tag at the end of the title text would suffice adding to the "for sale / SOLD" we already have. (well sometimes anyway)

Oh and recently there was a "withdrawn from sale" as well (my guess is it was on ebay despite not allowing that) - either mark it as "withdrawn" so a mod can delete the post entirely at some point but generally so people can see what's available at a glance.

Don't be draconian about the rules, just make better more flexible rules and police it EVENHANDEDLY to ensure posters adhere to them - the moderator of Xmas past wasn't exactly great about doing that* with mixed results at best, often failing to enforce the rules by playing favorites EVEN when said posts were pointed out as a breach of "the rules", they were left to stand.

*(unless it was contrary to his, sorry, "thier" brexit beliefs in which case it got full attention immediately, as I and others can attest firsthand)

To be frank a shakeup of some things in the forum is no bad thing, and having American overlords (and primarily a Female) is a boon as you've not got a dog in the whole Brexit BS drama and being female, less prone to testosterone fueled alpha male "if you don't agree with me I'm just going to delete your post" needy and narcissistic BS nonsense as has taken place before, as others beyond myself can attest.

I understand moderating the forum can be time consuming, but it could be made easier by altering or outright removing some of the current rules and adding a new section.

*idea* Is it possible to appoint a moderater for just one section?

Last edited:

Inspector

Nyuck, Nyuck, Nyuck!
Reaction score
"Members may not submit items currently offered on other public sites such as eBay"

This may have been covered..but im too lazy to read all 13 pages.

Is this basically saying if you put something in the for sale section here you cant also list it on fleabay/gumtree? if so thats whats the reasoning behind it? a completely closed system? limiting someones chance to offer?
It is to stop a seller from not taking the first offer here and taking a later offer on another platform that is higher.

Pete