Members can turn off viewing Ads!

For sale rules

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

Lonsdale73

Established Member
Reaction score
Just will never work what your saying
What won't; that there's already a rule in place prohibiting advertising elsewhere (which you're almost certainly right about, I'm sure there are many who don't adhere to that than they do the ones about photos with post, no 'ono', indicating when it's no longer available etc) or that I will abide by them whether they're enforceable or not?

Yojevol

Clocking on
Reaction score
I think that items of that nature is fine. In your amendment it suggests that sellers cannot be hobbyists.
It's the 'items of that nature' that is bugging me. Items of what nature?
The clause is more about the item for sale rather than the person selling it. It relates directly with my R3. I put this up as an alternative approach :-
Items for sale may not be part of a buying/selling trade.
Brian

AES

Established Member
Reaction score
About the only reservation with ProfChis's new proposal I have is - PERHAPS - the 48 hour time limit. PERHAPS a week instead? Some people simply don't have the time to visit UKW every 48 hours "just in case".

Personally I don't think "items of that nature" is a huge problem, as per the above suggestions, the Mod/s and Admin (?) will sort that out quite quickly if anyone transgresses, accidentally or deliberately. I just don't want to see - example, nothing personal - olive oil being sold here, and the above covers it.

Don't forget Yojevol that so far the new Admin has been pretty responsive overall, so let's get started I say, and tweak afterwards as & when necessary (i.e. by popular request).

marcros

Established Member
Reaction score
It's the 'items of that nature' that is bugging me. Items of what nature?
The clause is more about the item for sale rather than the person selling it. It relates directly with my R3. I put this up as an alternative approach :-
Items for sale may not be part of a buying/selling trade.
Brian
"Of that nature" is purposely to stop (for example) machinery dealers or junk shop proprietors from using the site as free advertising. It does respect that a proportion of the membership are businesses who upgrade machinery and tools from time to time and want to use the for sale board as its spirit was intended, with a benefit for buyer and seller. It makes sense to allow disposal of surplus ironmongery from a business member, which is quite different to having a manufacturer advertising on the board.

I think we should include the no Ebay links within the rules. not sure whether they should be on the for sale board or the global forum rules.

Myfordman

AKA 9Fingers
Reaction score
I think we should include the no Ebay links within the rules. not sure whether they should be on the for sale board or the global forum rules.
I've mixed feelings about ebay links. If someone is looking for an item then I don't see the harm in pointing out a relevant link to the OP
I cant see they will be welcome in a for sale thread other than to point out the asking price is a bit steep but can have a place in a wanted thread.

Ebay links can be useful in other threads eg to say where the posted got an item from in the same vein as mentioning AXI or rutlands as suppliers. hence they should possibly only be controlled in the marketplace posts

Reactions: AES

Yojevol

Clocking on
Reaction score
"Of that nature" is purposely to stop (for example) machinery dealers or junk shop proprietors from using the site as free advertising. It does respect that a proportion of the membership are businesses who upgrade machinery and tools from time to time and want to use the for sale board as its spirit was intended, with a benefit for buyer and seller. It makes sense to allow disposal of surplus ironmongery from a business member, which is quite different to having a manufacturer advertising on the board.
I'm happy with the aim and sentiment but to make the statement correct it would have to read:-
Sellers may not be in the business of trading in items of that the nature of the item being sold.
which is absolutely horrible, but I'll leave to Chris to decide if he wants to amend it in some more eloquent way.
Brian

MikeG.

Established Member
Reaction score
Just a thought....would it not be sensible to have a separate section of the For Sale section entitled something like "Ebay Notices" which enabled people to link to a workshop item that a member had for sale. Make it a comment-free part of the forum, so all it contained were links to an Ebay (or similar) sale item. It would clearly be in the members best interests to be alerted to workshop-related items being sold in this manner.

billw

The Tattooed One
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
" Sellers may dispose of surplus tools and materials arising from their normal business activities "

So a tool trader could say "well I don't need any of this item in stock, I'll flog this one". Repeatedly.

marcros

Established Member
Reaction score
" Sellers may dispose of surplus tools and materials arising from their normal business activities "

So a tool trader could say "well I don't need any of this item in stock, I'll flog this one". Repeatedly.
it is hard to follow who you are quoting, but I dont think that what you have quoted is being suggested. quite the opposite for the reason you gave.

billw

The Tattooed One
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
it is hard to follow who you are quoting, but I dont think that what you have quoted is being suggested. quite the opposite for the reason you gave.
Taken from a post by yojevol. I dunno why I didn't quote it directly tbh. However, using that wording would be open to abuse, and lots of "well according to the rules....." defences.

Lons

Established Member
Reaction score
I've mixed feelings about ebay links. If someone is looking for an item then I don't see the harm in pointing out a relevant link to the OP
From memory that has been an issue in the past where perhaps other members have already placed an ebay bid or are carefully watching the auction only only to suddenly have competition because a link has been posted.
It's never happened to me but I can see how that would be more than a little irritating to someone hoping to get a bargain.

AJB Temple

Finely figured
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I seem to recall the eBay rule was partly driven by someone who advertised an item on here and accepted an offer by PM, but then reneged as it also sold on eBay and he felt more obliged to honour the eBay contract.

powertools

Established Member
Reaction score
We'll all I can say if I owned this forum and had read 11 pages of members ideas I would just remove the for sale section. It would make no difference to the activities on the forum and would remove a problem that members can't seem to agree on.

MikeG.

Established Member
Reaction score
We'll all I can say if I owned this forum and had read 11 pages of members ideas I would just remove the for sale section. It would make no difference to the activities on the forum and would remove a problem that members can't seem to agree on.
Well you haven't read those 11 pages very carefully, then. We're in pretty good agreement. There's no conflict over the basic concept of freeing up the For Sale section whilst maintaining some sort of barrier to posting there. There is a set of proposed rules which have been well received, and the guy who put forward his own version has dropped in behind the simpler version. You are the very first person to advocate removing the For Sale section altogether, and if you were to put that idea to a vote, you'd lose heavily.

Phil Pascoe

occasional purveyor of blunt tools.
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
How about keeping it simple - allow any non commercial sales until something becomes a problem, then if and when there's a problem worry about how to deal with it? I've seen odd dubious for sales in the past, but one in a blue moon really isn't worth the effort of worrying about. No one forces anyone to buy something - if you don't like it, don't buy it, or if it worries you that much don't read the For Sales.

Stefan99

Reaction score
It is only in the last few years that the moderators here allowed any for sale/wanted posts and the rules they imposed were quite restrictive.
I'm not sure which mod was behind the tight rules but they may well have resigned now so I wonder if it is time to consider a more flexible approach?
Providing the forum is not being used as free advertising for commercial selling, I'd like to see all approved members being able to post rather than needing a significant number of posts and I don't see why items cant be being offered elsewhere.
I'll throw those into the ring for now and stand back for reaction.
A couple of years ago I bought a second hand excellent Large Axminster lathe from someone posting on this site. It came with boxes of tools Bowl and spindle gouges, dust extraction eqt etc.

Scroll on a year or so I decided to sell on a load of the items I found I didn’t need.

approx 12 bowl and spindle gouges (all almost new)

Coming up against the 20 post requirement I decided to make some reply’s to reach that limit. All of a sudden it became 50 posts required.

so I gave up and sold them on eBay and also gave away boxes of dust extraction parts.

having just started receiving emails automatically from this forum I checked back in again after several months absence.

I see this thread about the “over enthusiastic” mods. I also see the 20+ posts I had made has been reduced back to one post!!! 2 if you include this one.

unfortunately the members here missed out on all the equipment I sold on, so as not to “litter the for sale section with spam”

However, instead on the new forum design, every for sale post NOW has approx 20 random junk generic adverts for hats scarves, plastic sheds and other non wood working related click bait adverts and most the adverts have no actual pictures of the items being sold.

Just saying.....

Myfordman

AKA 9Fingers
Reaction score
However, instead on the new forum design, every for sale post NOW has approx 20 random junk generic adverts for hats scarves, plastic sheds and other non wood working related click bait adverts and most the adverts have no actual pictures of the items being sold.

Just saying.....
However now you can turn off all advertising in your profile (without the need to run ad blockers) which to me is a big plus for XenForo software.

sploo

Somewhat extinguished member
Reaction score
@Angie At risk of stirring this thread up again: I've just bought some old machinery from a guy who is having to move on his (recently deceased) brother's tools.

I helped him go through some of the items to spots things that might be worth individual sale, and took a few pictures. Could I post these in the For Sale forum; for people to PM me for his contact details?