• We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

For sale rules

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

Myfordman

AKA 9Fingers
Reaction score
It is only in the last few years that the moderators here allowed any for sale/wanted posts and the rules they imposed were quite restrictive.
I'm not sure which mod was behind the tight rules but they may well have resigned now so I wonder if it is time to consider a more flexible approach?
Providing the forum is not being used as free advertising for commercial selling, I'd like to see all approved members being able to post rather than needing a significant number of posts and I don't see why items cant be being offered elsewhere.
I'll throw those into the ring for now and stand back for reaction.

Trevanion

Greatest Of All Time
Reaction score
I think it was Noel who tended the For Sale board, for the most part, I definitely remember Noel bumping the posts needed from 20 to 50 because we had more than a couple of people just putting in 20 non-meaningful posts in to use the FS board.

I agree with changing not being able to offer elsewhere, it's a bit of a silly rule.

It's a bit of a double-edged sword, on the one hand, you wouldn't mind just anyone putting stuff up for sale because it's in the interest of the membership, but at the same time you don't want people taking advantage of the community for fee-free and targeted sales without any form of contribution. If it were me I'd also have a 20 post limit before you can buy things on the marketplace or at least posts are up on the FS board for x number of days before members with less than 20 posts can inquire because there are members here who's the only sole purpose of being on the forum is to buy things off the marketplace, which isn't necessarily a bad thing but I've seen a couple of posts get eaten up by non-contributing members way before actual members get a chance to buy the stuff.

Last edited:

MusicMan

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I would be happy with a more liberal policy, such as Trevanion suggests. I have many items purchased here that I value, and have sold some likewise, and am happier trusting descriptions here than many found on commercial auction sites. But still, buying and selling is a small part of my activity.

Mods could still have discretion to bar anyone who was abusing the process.

I still regret not being able to buy some of MikeG's bog oak.

Droogs

Is that chisel shar ... Ow
Reaction score
Over the years, I have been fortunate enough to buy and be given items in the for sale section. I firmly believe the the minimum post rule is a valid thing to have. I do think there should be a rule about not being available elsewhere at least for the first 48 hours of posting here. After all there has to be a benefit to the buyer (exclusivity) as well as the seller (free advertising 0 fees)

MikeG.

Established Member
Reaction score
I can't find the rules at all. If they have actually disappeared, then are we bound by Noel's little whims regarding sales any more? And boy, there was nothing that stirred Nev and Noel up so quickly as querying the Macchiavellian For Sale rules.

stuartpaul

Established Member
Reaction score
Over the years, I have been fortunate enough to buy and be given items in the for sale section. I firmly believe the the minimum post rule is a valid thing to have. I do think there should be a rule about not being available elsewhere at least for the first 48 hours of posting here. After all there has to be a benefit to the buyer (exclusivity) as well as the seller (free advertising 0 fees)
Agree completely. There is a real danger of relaxing the rules too far and it just becomes a free for all.

sunnybob

wysiwyg
Reaction score
Problem here is that most of you lot are too honest, and cant comprehend a thieving scum bag crook joining a trade board just to sell on a load of stolen tools and then disappearing to the next board.
Thats why most of those rules were introduced.

MikeG.

Established Member
Reaction score
Problem here is that most of you lot are too honest, and cant comprehend a thieving scum bag crook joining a trade board just to sell on a load of stolen tools and then disappearing to the next board.
Thats why most of those rules were introduced.
If that was the intention then the rules are a very blunt instrument, interfering in some perfectly reasonable potential sales. My father in law died in January, and has a workshop that needs clearing. I can't offer it for sale here because of long-and-spurious-reasons, including that they aren't my tools (should I get my 91 year old MIL to join and make 50 posts?!!. She doesn't know a hammer from a mallet). It's utterly ridiculous that these will now be offered elsewhere rather than to the forum.

Rorschach

Agent Provocateur
Reaction score
As long as sales are non-commercial and kept to separate forum (that is easy to ignore if you are not interested) then I am certainly in favour of more relaxation.

CHJ

Established Member
Reaction score
If that was the intention then the rules are a very blunt instrument, interfering in some perfectly reasonable potential sales. My father in law died in January, and has a workshop that needs clearing. I can't offer it for sale here because of long-and-spurious-reasons, including that they aren't my tools (should I get my 91 year old MIL to join and make 50 posts?!!. She doesn't know a hammer from a mallet). It's utterly ridiculous that these will now be offered elsewhere rather than to the forum.
I all due respect Mike, why the above comments? do you not consider your MIL or late FIL family members.

11 – Ownership.
All items offered for sale must be the property of the seller or family member....
And regarding your Bog Oak trading, a little bit of common sense posting could have seen you sharing your find with members behind the scenes via PM's etc. without the Moderators being inundated with reports.

Noel

Staff member
Reaction score
I think it was Noel who tended the For Sale board, for the most part, I definitely remember Noel bumping the posts needed from 20 to 50 because we had more than a couple of people just putting in 20 non-meaningful posts in to use the FS board.

I agree with changing not being able to offer elsewhere, it's a bit of a silly rule.

It's a bit of a double-edged sword, on the one hand, you wouldn't mind just anyone putting stuff up for sale because it's in the interest of the membership, but at the same time you don't want people taking advantage of the community for fee-free and targeted sales without any form of contribution. If it were me I'd also have a 20 post limit before you can buy things on the marketplace or at least posts are up on the FS board for x number of days before members with less than 20 posts can inquire because there are members here who's the only sole purpose of being on the forum is to buy things off the marketplace, which isn't necessarily a bad thing but I've seen a couple of posts get eaten up by non-contributing members way before actual members get a chance to buy the stuff.

The mod team moderated all boards. Nobody had specific tasks. My only direct involvement was garnering opinion on the need/want/viability of a FS board in 2010/11 (?) and eventually getting it set up.
All mods decided and agreed to increase post count.

MikeG.

Established Member
Reaction score
....And regarding your Bog Oak trading, a little bit of common sense posting could have seen you sharing your find with members behind the scenes via PM's etc. without the Moderators being inundated with reports.
.........and that is more communication on the subject than I received during the entirety of the episode. Other than having Noel's explicit permission to proceed with the sale, which he then expunged from history of course without explanation.

Myfordman

AKA 9Fingers
Reaction score
OK Noel, If as I suspect that you are sole moderator, then perhaps you could propose a revised set of rules that you would be happy to work with.
As a Mod elsewhere (much smaller forum) I can honestly say that we have no problems with "rogue traders"

Bob

CHJ

Established Member
Reaction score
It will be interesting to see if USA based commercial run site is of any interest to ebay etc. if it starts letting general no fees trading as opposed to just basically member 'Tool Swaps'

Noel

Staff member
Reaction score
OK Noel, If as I suspect that you are sole moderator, then perhaps you could propose a revised set of rules that you would be happy to work with.
As a Mod elsewhere (much smaller forum) I can honestly say that we have no problems with "rogue traders"

Bob
As always Bob, willing to look at it but I think you have to look at both sides of the coin: advantage to membership and having a frame work that is easy to run and supervised by the mod team.

Noel

Staff member
Reaction score

Bob
We've unfortunately had a few instances, thankfully rare, where things went wrong (financially and otherwise).

Trevanion

Greatest Of All Time
Reaction score
The mod team moderated all boards. Nobody had specific tasks. My only direct involvement was garnering opinion on the need/want/viability of a FS board in 2010/11 (?) and eventually getting it set up.
All mods decided and agreed to increase post count.
Thanks for the clarification Noel, my assumption that you tended the board was only my humble observation over the last couple of years where it’s mainly been yourself enforcing the rules in there up until the last 10 months or so.