For sale or not for sale ? Poll

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

For sale or not for sale ?

• Continue offering items on the forum ?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • stop posting used items for sale

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure that commenting whether or not a price is too high is exactly conducive to the harmony of the forum and that is really the crux of the matter, I think.

If someone advertises something for sale then I think that it should be left up to individual members to make up their own mind if they want to buy it at that price. Otherwise the whole thing is lain wide open to cheap shots and bad feelings.

RogerS":tkw2eujf said:
I'm not sure that commenting whether or not a price is too high is exactly conducive to the harmony of the forum and that is really the crux of the matter, I think.

If someone advertises something for sale then I think that it should be left up to individual members to make up their own mind if they want to buy it at that price. Otherwise the whole thing is lain wide open to cheap shots and bad feeings.

That's my view too Roger, articulates it nicely.

Cheers, Paul :D

As Steve said in the other thread. There should be a rule that if you're not involved with the sale (i.e not buying or selling) then you should butt out. I do think that it should be a rule that interested parties should state their interest in the thread though.

I've been guilty, in the past, of veering a for sale thread off and that should be stopped too. If someone wants to discuss the product being sold (good or bad) then it should be taken to a new thread in the appropriate forum.

I understand that we shouldn't be letting our fellow members get ripped off, but we should also assume that our members are capable of using google and working out a price for themselves. As should they be able to check whether the tool is suitable for them.

Have bought from Blister, Kityuser and Oryx all through the forum.
The experience is similar in all cases, they had an item surplus to requirement's that I wanted and was happy to pay for.
It was me that bought the infamous bandsaw. I didn't pay the original advertised price and didn't feel any need to take a dig. I made him an offer by PM also happy with the aftersales service.
Keep it up Blister quite sure I will end up buying from you again :lol:

I hope you didn't make the mistake of picking it up in person. You always come away from the Alladins cave, buying more than you intended :lol:

Oh and I don't agree with your comments about Oryx, bloody rip off merchant :shock: :wink: :lol:

I was very restrained but made a mental note of all the goodies.
Oryx has some old timber in his garage when I saw it I thought of you :lol:

Tom K":9cfsuubh said:
Have bought from Blister, Kityuser and Oryx all through the forum.
The experience is similar in all cases, they had an item surplus to requirement's that I wanted and was happy to pay for.
It was me that bought the infamous bandsaw. I didn't pay the original advertised price and didn't feel any need to take a dig. I made him an offer by PM also happy with the aftersales service.
Keep it up Blister quite sure I will end up buying from you again :lol:

NEVER EVER mention a dado blade around here *looking over shoulder*

Steve um .......Doris

As someone pointed out the photo forum I'm involved with has a lot of rules - many of which are to try to make the buying and selling area work well.

Price pointing without using the pointed at price as the basis of an offer to buy is banned. that is about the only rule I'd suggest got carried to here.

Selling here is informal and I'd say was best kept that way unless the forum mods want a lot of work.

Traders that want to sell regularly for profit have to pay a small fee to support the photo forum. I don't see anyone selling here that fits the trader description.

I have had several buys from Blister,all top class. I have even had him make a personal delivery to me here in Ireland. And may have him again '#,##.soon :D :D :evil: :evil: .
I bought from him because I dont have to go through the ebay prosess of bidding and watching and then waiting two/three weeks for delivery.
I would support any member of the forum in the same way. If they have something I want I can PM and get an honest description of what is being sold, instead of a yes or no or I am not sure I am selling for a friend .

REgards Boysie.

I have a personal rule "stay out of dicussions like this because no one wins and everyone loses" but I have spent many years on forums and I've noticed a few common issues. For example: people take offence much more easily to the written word than the spoken word and the life goes out of a forum when it gets bogged down in rule making.

This is a forum where we come to chat. Some people we find here we will make friends with and some we will think are utter muppets. I suggest we all just ignore our muppets and get on with life.

As for rules about discussions in for sale threads we are talking about trying to make a rule for a social norm which is an exercise in futility. It will please no one completely and likely to lead to more arguments than just leaving the issue alone (IMHO of course :D).

The only recommendation I would make is to set up another forum specifically for items that are for sale. That would remove some clutter form the general forum and mean threads would be more likey only to be seen by people actually interested in buying something.

Allen: please keep posting items for sale.

Tom K":333m5uul said:

I've never met Tom K but I am concerned that Mrs Oryx is selling my machinery and buying hand tools (I think I saw an LV LA Jack sticking out of her handbag the other day).
Has any one seen my Radial Arm Saw?
Si :lol:

i dont have a problem with people selling stuff on here as long as the price is advertised in the post and none of the PM me malarky..

hi

simply rule to life "live and let live" , blister, I'm not sure why you posted this poll it's not necessary, life would be so much nicer if we all went about minding our own business , If you want to sell somthing here fine with me and many other, no problem , just as long as the person who is selling is seen to be advertise his goods honestly he is then seen to be trading here acording to the forum rules, the price advertised and agreed is between the buyer and seller "no one else " what one person see as expensive someone else does,nt to the ones who don't agree with selling here exercise your rights, as i'm about to and vote. hc

There does seem to be quite a few items coming up for sale recently so i would also think a seperate part for selling/wanting would be best.
Also another satisfied customer of Blisters,and many others,so keep em coming Allen.

Oryxdesign":21jv7nfd said:
Tom K":21jv7nfd said:

I've never met Tom K but I am concerned that Mrs Oryx is selling my machinery and buying hand tools (I think I saw an LV LA Jack sticking out of her handbag the other day).

She told me she needed some tools to build a set of steps up to the deck :lol:

Tom K":2kv27lsa said:
Oryxdesign":2kv27lsa said:
Tom K":2kv27lsa said:

She told me she needed some tools to build a set of steps up to the deck :lol:
:lol:

Not yet bought anything from the forum but may well do if something I like comes up.

This is a community, and the fewer rules the better as far as I'm concerned. By and large people are decent, and occasionally things get a bit heated. Hmm... not unlike a real world community.

I'm not voting in the poll but I would go along with a couple of suggestions here.

A for sale thread would be good.

Prices should be clear and visible in the post. Offers welcome of course, but I don't like "I have this for sale, pm me with a price". That can lead to a blind auction and lack of transparency, the best disinfectant is sunlight.

People should be free to comment on any for sale thread, I don't like the idea of closing them. That means some comments will be unwelcome, but that also means that unwelcome commentators can be informed of the unwelcome nature of their comments and told to insert them where they might be, ahem, unwelcome. Again, keeping it in the open which is, IMHO, better than any alternative.

Toby

head clansman":37m1kedv said:
I'm not sure why you posted this poll it's not necessary........

the ones who don't agree with selling here exercise your rights, as i'm about to and vote. hc

:?

I think the for sales are brilliant, I also really value people suggesting that the price is too high (or indeed too low) or asking it the tool has xyz feature as this is important at that particular price point. I am a beginner at all this and it feels very good to have some knowledge (right or wrong - I'm a big boy and can make up my mind, especially if there has been history between people) around.

From the sellers POV the more comment the longer it remains on the front page.

This is a very nice place and generally people are good to each other however it has to be expected that people will disagree on some things :)

Keep selling, don't lock the threads :)

Miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back