For Lurker and Jimi43

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony Spear

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks chaps, it's nice to be appreciated! :oops:

To clarify a couple of points.

Land Rover: I had a 11A for years, but eventually I got fed up with the trek from Oxfordshire to Exmoor with two dogs and a full length roof rack full of camping gear, fishing tackle, photo kit and half of the (ex) wife's shoe cupboard. Trundling along the M4 at about 50 mph with my foot flat to the boards wasn't too bad, but when we reached the slopes near Swindon and we struggled to maintain 35 it was a bit frustrating!
I could have bought a 90, but I liked the look of the Series machines, so I decided to build the machine that Land Rover should have built when they first got the aluminium Buick V8 instead of that crappy 2.6 Litre straight 6.
The beauty of mine is that the the chassis was specifically built (by an approved Land Rover replacement chassis builder) to take all the Range Rover stuff without moving the rad forward and making it look like a 90.
Having the wider wheelbase of the Range Rover axles coupled with the 88" wheelbase means that you can chuck it around like a Mini!

When I first put it on the road a bloke in the village who drives customised Land Rovers and Range Rovers in off-road competitions drove it and said "bloodyell I've just got to build one of these!). The guy over the road from me drives in Hill climbs (Austin 7 special and Ginetta, Prescott and all that stuff dontcha know) and he drove it and said "I never knew a Land Rover could be such fun!

My best mate looked underneath and said that it'll outlast both of us, to which I responded "I bloody well hope so, 'cos I'm taking it with me when I go"!

As far as bastardising is concerned, I wouldn't dream of of mucking about with something like a Series 1 80", but what I really like about the Land Rover "community" is that nobody gives a monkey's what you do with 'em as long as you remain true to the spirit.

I'm proud to say that apart from some of the electrics, mine is still all Land Rover and a hell of a lot of fun.

I just can't wait until I get the all clear from the Doc. so I can get out and about with it again. :twisted:

Cameras: The Pentax Spotmatic was the first SLR with TTL metering, so when they first started appearing on the secondhand market I bought one. Of course at that time, you weren't regarded as a "serious" photographer unless you had one of those horrible clunky range finder Leicas, which cost an arm and a leg and were impossible to reload with cold hands (I've got one, so I know what I'm talking about). When I eventually decided that I'd like a camera with a bayonet fit lens instead of the Pentax screw thread, I went to my local camera dealer in Cheltenham ( a bloke who had worked as a photographer for the RAF during WW2 and as a pro, so he knew what he was talking about unlike the muppets that you meet in Jessop's) and said that I was interested in getting hold of a secondhand Nikon F2AS and he pointed out that buying a secondhand Nikon was a minefield as being a camera extensively used by Pro's you never could be sure if it had had 50 or 50,000 rolls of film through it. If I was prepared to wait until he had one that he knew the provenance of and could wait up to a couple of years he was sure that he could help, BUT Pentax had just brought out this new camera aimed at the Nikon market and why didn't I try it? It also meant that with an adaptor I could still use some of my more extreme existing screw thread optics (albeit very manually). He then lent me the the first LX that came into the shop and I used it for two months before either of us had to part with any money. I've never regretted it since.

Yes I had a Series 2 in the Falklands...in fact...the reason I called it a "Rover" and not a "Land Rover" is because at the time I was there just after the war...they were the ONLY vehicles...the only ones that could stand the terrain.

I had a dent in the roof of mine that my wife caused...her head hit it in an upwards direction when I hit a rock crossing a river rather too fast one day backwards...soft stuff that ali! She was ok though!

Nikon is my glass of choice...since the early 80s...and now all my lenses (which set me back a couple of mortgages) STILL fit the new D80 body...how brilliant is that!

I'll see if I can dig up some pictures of the old Rover...great fun those things!

Jim

Tony, I think I have still got my old Pentax KX up in the loft with about three lenses. Gone digital these days and got out the Fuji S9600 last night because I remembered I had left the batteries in for over a year.

I've now got to read the manual again, there are so many buttons. :)

Ive got a Pentax somewhere in the house, my dad got it from somewhere - if anyone is interested, I am quite happy to sell it on. Similarly, I have a Canon Eos3 35MM that never gets used these days if anyone is interested?
Gone all digital now, y'see?

Adam

I had several pentaxes ending with a super A, best camera I ever owned, it fit my hand so well I never needed to read a manual it was just obvious, till some B****** nicked it :( moved to Olympus with the insurance, couple of OM4 tis. since sold to get nikon, but I still miss the pentax, they did a 645 with the super a electronics that was a beautiful thing, never could afford it at the time...

Oooooh, now where did this thread come from?!

I drove the length of Africa in 1994/95. There were two cars on our expedition.....mine was an HJ60 Toyota Landcruiser, and, the point of me telling you all this, my brother's was a series 11A 110 LR, 2-1/4 petrol. Chelmsford to Cape Agulhus with a max. speed of 40mph, and it consumed almost as much oil as it did petrol. We re-built the engine and the gearbox in Nairobi, half-way down........and ran the last 10,000 miles on tyres marked "suitable for horse-drawn vehicles only". My brother looked like Pop-eye after steering it for 6 months without power-steering.

There were 7 different colours on the car, and every piece of the suspension broke at some stage. The hand-brake working on the prop shaft is one of the greatest pieces of English comedy I have ever seen. Genius!!

If anyone wants a few images from just one part of the trip, then have a look here:

http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/showthread.php?t=31125

My Landcruiser was the same age as the Landrover, and the only thing that went wrong in 21,000 miles across all of Africa was the radiator cap failed. Yet, inevitably, whenever we stopped and a crowd gathered around us, they would always tell us what a wonderful car the Landrover was!!!

Sorry if this appears to be a thread hijacking! Curious thing is, despite all my experience in Africa with Toyotas, I have started looking at Defenders for my next utility vehicle.........

Mike

jimi43":1rpbhaqi said:
Yes I had a Series 2 in the Falklands...in fact...the reason I called it a "Rover" and not a "Land Rover" is because at the time I was there just after the war...they were the ONLY vehicles...the only ones that could stand the terrain.

I had a dent in the roof of mine that my wife caused...her head hit it in an upwards direction when I hit a rock crossing a river rather too fast one day backwards...soft stuff that ali! She was ok though!

Nikon is my glass of choice...since the early 80s...and now all my lenses (which set me back a couple of mortgages) STILL fit the new D80 body...how brilliant is that!

I'll see if I can dig up some pictures of the old Rover...great fun those things!

Jim

Jimmy I was in the Falklands '65-68 my Rover regn was "50" !! Spent a lot of time driving in the "camp" and I gave the Royal Marines and 5 Brigade talks during the war ("intelligence"they called it!) and provided them with lots of cine film taken between Port San Carlos and Stanley (the yomping route!!)

I also bought my Pentax Spotmatic from the Kelper Store whilst there.

Dave

Hi Dave

Small world eh!? Mine was one of the only petrol series 2 ones...silly me not knowing about the rivers! Hence my need to drive backwards through them to create a wake away from the engine compartment...I never got around to getting a snorkel fitted and wet electrics.

They were building the Mount Pleasant road when I first went there...so Goose Green was still a day trip..two landys...up to the windows in peat bog...bumper jack...dig out...big planks go 100 yards...repeat as necessary!

I hear tell that things have changed hugely since I was there and certainly since you were there...they have TV now...and oil and fishing licences...and are rich!

Kelper Store...was that the one on Philomel Hill going down the the FIC offices?

I will try to dig out some pictures and scan them in....great place to live...self sufficiency to the extreme!

Jim

Actually I just realised how bad my memory is...it's a Series 3!

This shot is of a trip to a Rapier missile site...still under war defence status then!

landy1.jpg

Stanley Harbour and Wireless Ridge in the background....

and this one is taking a break after a big dig out on "the road!" :wink: towards Goose Green....I think it was just after crossing the Murray river (?)...

landy2.jpg

My Rover was the grey one..it was previously a "van" type but I managed to get a pair of windows from the FIC really cheap because they were photochromatic! Apparently a wrong order for the desert ended up in the South Seas! I cut the holes out with a Niblex cutter...right laugh that was...and then had to fit the rubber with the bit you put in with a special tool (which I didn't have!)....just so the kids could see out of the back!

I never realised how far "up" you could get the front of the Rover without it falling over backwards until I had followed a Kelper...they are MAD!

Jim

Back