For Critique - Segmented fruit bowl

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harlequin

Established Member
Reaction score
15 inches in diameter - my largest segmented work yet
Materials - walnut,birch and sycamore
Finish - chestnuts food safe finish

Turned this over the bed as helps gluing up the segments, so with a bed capacity of 16 inches this is about as large as is possible this way.
Comments welcome

I'm usually not keen on segmented work but I like that a lot.
Nice shape and good contrasting timbers, sticking to just 2 colours without overdoing it.

I don't have an overall view either way on segmented - but I like this anyway!

The overall form looks 'just right'

Very well made, looks perfect. Minor ocd means I'd prefer the segments to overlap symetrically rather than progressively skewed, but that's just personal taste.
I certainly wouldn't want to attempt one myself !

That is a beautiful bowl ,love the shape .The wood used was a well thought out selection and design .
If I was able to make segmented work I would be more than pleased to have made this bowl . =D> =D>

Hi Very well done I am more than chuffed to see that you did not put the rings on the 2/3 mark as I find all the people doing segmented work do, iresective of how wide it is. Are they all using wood pro or one of the segmented programs available and coforming to this 1/3 theory that I think is a little out dated IMHO. I digress the shape is spot on. Regards Roger C

Thanks all

making bowls of this size generally are quite rare for me.
one major concern was vibration while turning the inside - however using the shear scraper on the munro tool made it easy as I was able to support the bowl with my hand as I was scraping.
The other advantage obviously is that one does not encounter end grain so can get a very good finish straight off the tools.

BTW - I too dislike the decorative ring that appears 2/3 of the way up a piece and usually avoid.
A lot of segmented work does appear and probably is quite complicated but not always pleasing to the eye IMO.

A lot of segmented work does appear and probably is quite complicated but not always pleasing to the eye IMO.
I`d agree with that. Too many pieces seem like little more than exercises in using up poorly matching pieces from the scrap box. It`s as if all the effort used in figuring out the construction details has left no energy to consider the form.
Mind you, I wouldn`t have a clue where to start, myself. It all seems a bit too mathematical for my poor brain :?

Ian

nev":2qx9olqk said:
can't go wrong with walnut.

Nev - I can!

You wait till I post up my ATTEMPT at a Tazza - admittedly I did use a piece of green walnut, as it was the only thing I had big enough. You are gonna laugh your wotsits off when you see how much it's warped.

I didn't even bother continuing with the entry, as it would have been a waste of wood.

As soon as it's finished moving I'll stick up a picture - for everyone to have a giggle and to request suggestions for what the hell I can do with it.

I love the bowl, by the way - Really nice shape. (and sorry to hijack the post)

Greg

I like this very much. The limited use of the second, paler, colour gives just enough detail and interest, particularly inside the bowl.

I also like the overall shape and lack of fussiness of the design.

A truly good piece of work!!

Mike

Back