For critique #5

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bemused

Established Member
Reaction score
Happy new year folks,
First piece of the year :D
My piece for critique #5.

Not quite sure what this would be called, its my first attempt at off center turning and pushed my little Axminster 900 to the limit. I wanted to try some more texturing.

Its 7" wide and 1" high from piece of seasoned European Oak.
A pair of screw chuckings were used in order to turn a pair of dovetail sockets for the smallest set of O'Donnell jaws
Turned with bowl gouge.

Finished with 80-400 grit then carved with the Proxxon Micromot and well burnt with the gas torch. Purple and green spirit stain added.

001-3.jpg

A test block with black acrylic and Jo Sonja’s iridescent paint.

002-1.jpg

I changed my mind quite a lot with the color with this piece and also made a few cock ups with the off center turning regarding my chuck socket placement and had the sockets overlapping slightly and even threw it out of the chuck at one point. I now know how to do right for the next time though.
I lost the use of the small off center chucking quite early on which was a pity as I had hoped incise some detail rings in order to get a real sharp edge between the texture and the off set bowl.
The foot is very poor but it had turned into a salvage job at this stage, any way the piece was saved and a lot learned.
Ended up with turquoise iridescent over black spirit stain for the textured area and blue over yellow spirit stain for the plain areas. Blasted the upper face with some acrylic lacquer and gave it a quick whiz with a Chestnut "C" mop.

Thanks for any comments
Tony

010-1.jpg

008-1.jpg

009-1.jpg

007-1.jpg

A brighter colour perhaps?, It looks a lot better now it is finished. How did you hold it to do the back.

Brian L

BRIAN L":51xohtcm said:
A brighter colour perhaps?, It looks a lot better now it is finished. How did you hold it to do the back.

Brian L

Hi Brian, it it a little dark, I am in my dark phase :mrgreen:

Perhaps I will do a further one with some vivid bright colors like the whirly bird but I may need to do the off center turning in your nice big lathe :p :p

Turned the back off by mounting my big sanding disk in the chuck and bringing a live center up, err sort of just like you adviced me to 8)
The grub screw fell out of the live centers insert and the piece went awal again, been trouble all the way this one. Grub screw now lost on the floor... know anyone who has just ordered some grubs :roll:

ive done a few searches on Youtube fo rBowl Texturing but cant find anything im sure there must be something on there

Do you or anyone know for any vid's on Texturing

Thanks Dave

Dieseldog":2uwwy34h said:
ive done a few searches on Youtube fo rBowl Texturing but cant find anything im sure there must be something on there

Do you or anyone know for any vid's on Texturing

Thanks Dave

Sorry have no links but I am sure others will have
I use a proxxon micromot because its cheapish, proxxon and small.

http://www.proxxon.com/eng/html/28500.php

And a 30 degree cutter like
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5x-Carbid...Home_Garden_PowerTools_SM&hash=item4ab288c677

better picture
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-Carbide...Home_Garden_PowerTools_SM&hash=item35b4d15c9d

Its real easy to do the effect I did.

Dieseldog":33bqru6x said:
Thanks for posting them up
i'll have to order one up

Whooo dont order one just on my say so, I have had it less than a week and only been turning six months.
There may be other (better) ways of doing this, although I can say Tracy Owen uses something simular in principle but the price of his is circa 1k

However should you wish a micromot you also need the power supply unit for it
I have the micromot 50E, adjustable speed, and the fixed speed power supply at about £22.
There are quite a few different models and powersupplies in the range, it is worth ringing Axminster for instance.
I had mine from Bri Mark via the local turning shop.
There are lots and lots of different cutters out there but I favour the 30 degree flat pointy type I linked to as it gives a nice torn grain, but hey thats just me.

There are other alternatives for texture such as the decorating elf and sorbys sprocket thing etc.

Bemused":16gl5616 said:
Dieseldog":16gl5616 said:
Thanks for posting them up
i'll have to order one up

Whooo dont order one just on my say so, I have had it less than a week and only been turning six months.
There may be other (better) ways of doing this, although I can say Tracy Owen uses something simular in principle but the price of his is circa 1k

However should you wish a micromot you also need the power supply unit for it
I have the micromot 50E, adjustable speed, and the fixed speed power supply at about £22.
There are quite a few different models and powersupplies in the range, it is worth ringing Axminster for instance.
I had mine from Bri Mark via the local turning shop.
There are lots and lots of different cutters out there but I favour the 30 degree flat pointy type I linked to as it gives a nice torn grain, but hey thats just me.

There are other alternatives for texture such as the decorating elf and sorbys sprocket thing etc.

i hear what your saying ...that is the knid of tool that im looking for tho....i'll have a look at the others ....really need to see a few vids as well before i do order one up

As an outsider from the woodturning gang - that is very bold, impressive, rather Mercurial (a good thing). Well done, not just technique but visual idea.
I like the way you wood-turning lot share work here - over my way (hand tools mainly) we just bicker about planes, saws, chisels...

condeesteso":5tzy9yz0 said:
As an outsider from the woodturning gang - that is very bold, impressive, rather Mercurial (a good thing). Well done, not just technique but visual idea.
I like the way you wood-turning lot share work here - over my way (hand tools mainly) we just bicker about planes, saws, chisels...

Thank you, :oops:
It is actually an amalgam of vatious techniques others have shared.

Never tried off centre turning a bowel done quite abit of it spindle wise I liked this bowel especially the colours

I like the top, for me the underside is a little bland in comparison and doesn't carry the piece as well as it might, a more contrasting colour like a dark blue or turquoise (better) or even a bold red (best! In fact you can see how well it works against the red of the table) would have set the top off really well, but I think the top is well done,

I like the way the colours and the texture work together. Colouring is a steep learning curve and I am also in my infancy in this regard, it isn't easy knowing just what to do with the colours, but one factor that can help (I also do a little art) is knowing how a colour wheel works, use that to identify contrasting colours (especially contrasting secondary colours, my favourite being light blue and beige, they really work well together,check out Cornucopia's (George Watkins) posts on here with his mixed media boxes, he did one with that colour combination and it looked stunning (actually all his stuff does, but I especially liked that one!)

Keep at it, you will very soon nail a stunning one up yourself!

Rather peacockish to my new & untrained eyeballs, I like it tho, peculiar but in a good way!. Thanks for sharing!.

I like it. =D> =D> =D>

The different colours and treatments go together well, the rest is down to personal preference.

I agree that the bottom does not do the top justice but can't decide which would be the best finish, possibly some wavy carved lines. eg Proxxon with mini Arbortech.

I like to experiment with different finishes and am exploring Jo Sonja combined with airbrushing.

Great for experimentation

Regards,

mikec

Latest posts

Back